The Tea Party - York St

Contact 613-562-0352

119 York St, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1N 5T4

Vegetarian tea and coffeehouse located in an historic turn of the century house at Byward Market. Offers numerous teas plus organic coffee and a variety of dishes. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-9:00pm, Sat 10:00am-8:00pm, Sun 10:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Western, Take-out, Bakery, Fusion

First Review by dyani

Great veggie spot in the Market! - Edit

My husband and I stopped by tonight to try their limited edition vegan sausage for Oktoberfest/Ottawa Sausagefest! The sausage was topped with sauerkraut and it was delicious! We also tried their lavender lemonade which was great. Very friendly staff and a nice patio. I'll definitely be going back to check out their regular menu!

Pros: Nice patio, WiFi, friendly staff

Cons: Slow service

Very accomodating - Edit

I went here for a high-tea type of outing with a non-veg friend. I mentioned being vegan when I arrived and the barista was very accommodating. He brought out the tray of sammies and deserts, half of them being vegan. He made sure to tell me which ones were which, he was really nice about it.

Pros: huge selection of tea, vegan food available, cozy enviroment

Cons: not many vegan options

Dirty and rude - Edit

The only reason I'm giving it two stars is because the website does not allow less than two for vegetarian restaurants. But this one does not sell vegetarian, it sells old, dry and expensive food!

My friends and I arrived there at 8.40 pm. The guy told us when we ordered that they run until 9 pm so, if we wanted anything after that time, he would serve it but to go. We all understood he meant if we ordered anything else.

The tea cups arrived. They were dirty on the inside, I assumed they had never been washed with proper dishwasher, as you could see a black / reddish coloured on the interior part, remained from other teas they served. It looked weird but we decided not to complain, afraid he would spit in our teas.

At 5 to 9 he shut down the music and came with "to go" cups and told us that they are closed now and we can take our drinks to go. I asked him why did they serve if they weren't willing to let us finish, and he answered back, telling me to be more careful next time and pay more attention to what he had to say. I asked him not to be condescending and he said he is sure he is. I told him he is rude and I want to make a complaint to the manager. He said he is the manager and I can consider my complaint submitted and just leave. I told him I will find a way to contact his bosses and place a review on the internet, which is the one you are reading now.

I had been there before, never too impressed. Food is dry and old, and very little, looking like it was prepared days before. Their chai-latte is terrible, other teas are old, but since it is one of few tea places in the market, I ended up back. But not this time. I would in fact like to complain to the authorities about their unwashed cups, since this is a heath-safety issue.

Cons: dirty, rude, condescending staff, terrible food, old tea

lots of tea - Edit

Went here for high tea. For about $13 each we got a scone sandwiches dessert and tea. They had an entire wall with many exotic teas. Located in an older home near the byward market. Funky atmosphere with friendly staff Food was ok but not outstanding.

Pros: lots of tea

Cons: food ok

Delicious food, tea, and a cool atmosphere! - Edit

Enjoyed a great afternoon of high tea with my sister. The vegetarian sandwiches, scones, and sweets were fresh and tasty! They also have a whole wall dedicated to over 150 different types of tea! Their coffee selection was as equally impressive... The atmosphere is very inviting, cozy, nicely decorated, and laid-back. Can't wait to return!

Pros: excellent food, great atmosphere, friendly staff

Return to Ottawa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Tea Party - York St closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2222 times since Sep 2012.