The Tamale Place

317-300-8748

1155 E Stop 11 Rd, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, 46227

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegan tamale choices include the veggies in green sauce and the spicy chipotle black bean. Ask if others can be vegan. Go early or call ahead as the veg tamales sell out quickly. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by RosieTheVegan

Yum - Edit

I had a couple hours free while in Indy on business. I was thrilled to see vegan tamales being offered - most of the time they have cheese! I ate three of the veggie with green sauce. They had a great flavor without being too spicy.

I was there early - 10:30 am so did not have any problems with them being out.

They have a couple locations. I was at the one in the indoor market. (City Market) That same market contains another vegan treasure Three Carrots I ate for dinner.

Pros: Tasty , Unusual, Fast

MAKE SURE TO GO EARLY! Vegan tamale options and other menu items listed as vegetarian can be veganized. Can also call ahead a few hours!! - Edit

I would give this restaurant 5 stars but it only lets me give a max of 4 stars since it's not an actual vegan restaurant. Ever since I saw The Tamale Place on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives a few years ago, I've always wanted to visit it. Now that my food choices have changed, I get to enjoy their deliciousness with even more enthusiasm and excitement. Make sure to visit them early in the day or call ahead at least a few hours because they are very popular!!

Pros: Vegan tamale options!

Cons:

from out of town - Edit

nice place. nice enough kids working. but I drove too far to find out they had no vegan options today.

Pros: they were open in the middle of the day vs. my nex

Cons: nothing vegan today.

It's What's Inside That Counts - Edit

It looks like a dive, but the servers were nice and food was good. Styrofoam plates and plastic utensils.
I seldom (never) see vegetarian tamales. They had two vegan and two vegetarian options on the menu. But-we got there late and they had one vegan and one vegetarian left.
They take three hours to make so there is no such thing as going into the back and whipping up a couple more.

Return to Indianapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Tamale Place closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.