The Sumac Cafe

• Vegan

245 Gladstone Street, Forest Fields, Nottingham, England, NG7 6HX

Operates only one evening out of People's Kitchen. The day's dish is cooked and served by volunteers, with payment by donation. Check website for its once-a-month cocktail "sigh night."

Category: Vegan, British, English

First Review by Superfry

Great food, lovely atmosphere - Edit

I've only visited the sumac a few times but I had great experiences. The food is fantastic and the people are very friendly. Kind of feels like you're sat at home with your family.

Pros: Delicious food , Nice atmosphere

Awesome community space! Awesome food! - Edit

The volunteers at Sumac have made a brilliant community space, with books, music and tasty vegan food. We had a thali that was truly delicious, and rivalled the best Indian restaurants I've been to - at a fraction of the price. There's a real community spirit and strong radical and vegan politics. This is how to change the world. Definitely stop in and check it out!

Pros: Great space with real community, Tasty vegan food for little money, Building a real movement for change

Great atmosphere - Edit

We went to the Nottingham Picnic at The Sumac Centre last weekend and had a wonderful time. The atmosphere was great, everyone was friendly and the bar is non-profit so the prices are very reasonable. We're heading back this evening for a fundraiser dinner and intend to become members of the social club.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Reasonable prices, totally vegan!

Healthy food served by volunteers - Edit

The Saturday night feats here are legendary. Loads of salad, plus curry, pasta bake, or whatever else the duty chef decided to cook. Huge portions guaranteed, and kids and dogs are welcome. Bear in mind though that the Sunday morning fry ups are sometimes suspended for a while due to lack of volunteers, and that the centre is sometimes booked out for weekend conferences. What that happens, you might have to stand in a queue of 50 people and struggle to get a table. If in doubt, check the website or give them a call.

Pros: Best value food in town, Interesting, friendly place, Ethically-sourced food

Cons: In a residential area, not c centre, Only one main meal option each week

Needs supporting! - Edit

Sumac is voluntary run so I'm up for supporting it whenever I'm in Notts. Bit of a trek from town, but while you're there why don't you see if anything needs doing e.g. cleaning and tidying? You can feel you've added to the running of this great activist social center. It's a shame us outsiders want to help more than the trendy local activists.

Beating-Drum I get regular newsletters from Sumac and each time I read them I am inspired by the marvellousness of the place. On the rare occasions I have been there I think I MUST go there more often and support such an A1 place. The last time I did go there the music put me off because it was so loud it made it impossible to listen/talk to anyone and I love my ears and do not want them destroyed. I work quite often when they are offering such good stuff but I shall make it my business to go there within the month.

Return to Nottingham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Sumac Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3837 times since Aug 2007.