The Stand

• Vegan
Contact 949-494-8101

238 Thalia St (at Pacific Coast Hwy 1, Orange County), Laguna Beach, California, USA, 92651

A small food stand offering a large menu with soups, salads, bowls, sandwiches, burritos, tamales, cookies, and fresh squeezed juices including wheatgrass. Situated just south of main beach. Parking on street or in lot next to its patio area.

Category: Vegan, American, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by Island Hopper

It Doesn't Get Better Than This! - Edit

I've been going to the stand for more than 20 years. The volume and variety of food that is produced in this tiny little stand is astonishing.

My go-to meal:the tamales with guacamole and salsa and fresh watermelon juice. The portions are hearty and the menu is extensive. Sitting outside under the tree in beautiful Laguna Beach is simply as good as it gets. This is definitely in my top 5 vegan places to eat of all time.

Pros: Huge menu, all vegan, Consistently exceptional quality of food, Location, location, location!

Cons: limited parking

Under a tree - Edit

If you like eating under a tree at a communal table by the shore of the Pacific ocean, this is the place for you. Parking is almost impossible, the plates are made of paper products and the price is a bit high, but the experience is wonderful. They have a large menu.

Pros: The tree, Location

Cons: Parking, Paper Plates, Price

AMAZING - Edit

This place was fantastic. we had the Tropical acai bowl + peaches, a plate of salsa/beans/brown rice/guac and chips, the guacamole hummus sandwich, and black bean soup. everything tasted amazing, the chips weren't oily at all which we were worried about. the granola on the acai bowl not only has toasted oats but walnuts, hemp seeds, and raisins! this is by far my new favorite place.

Pros: kind service , amazing food , all organic

Hip Funky Vegan Stand - Edit

Not at all glossy with good and healthy vegan eats. If I lived in LB I'd probably eat here all of the time. Been visiting this place for the last 15 years from time to time. Always fresh and they know how to do vegan fare right. It's always gift to go somewhere (except for my home) where I don't have to scrap through the menu adjusting this and watching out for that! Simple as that.

Simple, Fresh, Delish - Edit

The only all-vegan restaurant in Laguna that's not a commitment away sits on the corner of Thalia and PCH 101, a quick jaunt from the beach. The reviews previous to mine are on point- no fake meats or cheeses, a robust selection and lovely outdoor seating. I ordered the avocado sandwich on English muffin white the husband enjoyed a burrito stuffed with beans, pico, avocado, and a myriad of other veggies. I doctored up my sandwich from the array of fixings available at the counter and dig in. The bread was fresh and warm, the veggies crisp and lively. A great, refreshing option in Laguna and the one place that doesn't require a series of verbal acrobats to ensure your meal is cruelty-free.

Pros: all vegan, super fresh

Simple And Tasty - Edit

The Stand has a huge selection of vegan food. It tastes very fresh and home cooked. I liked how simple yet tasty it was. Conveniently located close to the beach and PCH. I highly recommend the veggie burger, it's delicious. It is rather big though, so if you want a smaller meal, all of the bowls are really good, too.

Pros: Huge Selection, All Vegan, Relaxed Atmosphere

Cons: Limited Outdoor Seating

All Fruits And Veggies. - Edit

A lot of vegan restaurants rely on faux meats etc. Not this place! I was awesome seeing so many options that were faux meat free. I had there totally tortilla soup which was great, I also tried their miso veggie soup which was subtle and yummy. Then I had their tamale with beans, and that was also wonderful. To drink I had their fresh watermelon juice, that too was wonderful. The staff was very friendly, they let me sample the soups before I bought any, and the service was very quick. I would definitely come here again, especially because it is like a 5 minute walk to the beach. Oh ya and their portions are nice and big!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Beach Near By, Very Fast And Yummy!

yummy food! - Edit

Went with my non-veg parents who were saying they didn't want vegan food, took them here without telling them it was vegan and they ended up saying they would eat vegan meals a few times a week :)
Food was good. It has soups, salads, sandwiches, burritos, tamales. Good veggie burgers!
They also have home made apple juice and orange juice which was really good. Great smoothies!

Pros: lots of different options, great for lunch

A True Original - Edit

They have been there so long, it seems like they have always been there. Over the years, their customer base has skyrocketed, but the quality has never been compromised, and the owner knows his stuff, the staff as well. Quick service for such a large menu. They let you taste all the soups too, to make sure you are happy. Homemade, perfect vegan food. I started going there twice a day when I lived in Laguna. Going back for a vacation next week, and I will drive straight there! Hummus bowl, yes!

Loved it - Edit

I really enjoyed The Stand during my trip to California. The prices are reasonable, it's right on the beach, and the food is healthy and tasty. I tried the guacamole and hummus sandwich, as well as the veggie salad. I only wish that I had been in Laguna longer so I could have gone back!

Pros: healthy food, nice loaction, 100% vegan

Nice find - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my The Stand review.

It's a nice find for this area - all vegan booth "stand" place offering a large menu of all sorts plus fresh juices. We ordered the tamales topped with guacamole, and that was good. Definitely cool for this area.

Pros: cozy, all vegan, many choices

Cons: few outdoor seats only

True Laguna... - Edit

This is where Laguna locals eat...daily. The food is always good, staff are friendly and the prices are very reasonable. Anything with the guacamole is a must. The Totally Tortilla soup is my favorite with the split pea a close second. Vegan or not, you'll love the food!

Pros: Great Selection, Tasty food, Reasonable prices

Cons: Parking

#1 Vegan in Laguna Beach - Edit

My favorite vegan spot in Laguna Beach. Extensive menu. 100% vegan. Fantastic selection. Take out or eat in. Great food.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Extensive Menu, Funky

Cons: Only outdoor seating

its all about the potato tacos and burritos - Edit

I heave been dieing to get to The Stand for years and finally made it on a pit stop to San Diego. Its a cute little corner old time food stand with outdoor only seating. There is free parking on the premises.

They have a huge selection of food! We were immediately drawn to the potato filling options. They steam red potatoes and they are amazing inside both the taco and burrito. I wish I had that option closer to home!

Pros: potato filling, healthy food, cute place

Cons: only outdoor seating (few bad weather days in, soft serve is just salty fruit

BEST VEGAN EATERY AROUND - Edit

I live in Eugene, where there are a lot of vegan and vegetarian restaurants. On my vacation to Laguna Beach, Ca, I ate at the Stand numerous times and loved the food. BEST SELECTION OF YUMMY VEGAN FOOD I'VE EVER SEEN!! I could have picked just about anything on the menu and been happy. I took one of their menus back to Oregon with me so I could try to recreate some of their dishes.

A Vegan Tradition Still Going Strong - Best in OC - Edit

I have been a customer of The Stand since the 1960's. it was originally a stand, literally, for just smoothies and avocado sandwiches. The Cycle shop next door was a vegetarian restaurant and was really great. They closed and the Stand emerged as a full fledged vegan restaurant. The owner, Edward, is a long time advocate of veganism and animal rights. He is also a great humanitarian and I love t o talk to him about those issues.

The food is always fresh and delicious. He never misses a beat and always has the most organic and freshest fruits and vegetables around. The ambiance is peaceful, tranquil and very clean. The people that dine at the Stand are usually repeat customers and are always greeted with a friendly "Hello!" by Edward and his staff.

There are so many great choices at the stand but I always get my favorite which is 8 ounces each of beans, rice and steamed vegetables and 4 ounces of salsa. Their freshly squeezed juices is the best too. OH!!! For desert, get their soft serve fruit. 100% fruit, nothing else, it is amazing......

You won't find anywhere in California with the choices of freshly made vegetable juices and fruit smoothies than the Stand. They are open early in the morning too and you can see the people lined up for their wheat grass juice and vegetable juices and either fruit or granola with hemp milk.

There is no place like the Stand and if you are vegan and haven't been there, you must go. If you are not a vegan, try their delicious tamales and bowls, sandwiches and soups and many more great items. You will learn a lot too if you talk to Edward about veganism. I have been going there for almost a half of a century and I hope to continue into the next half..... I am a vegan and have never been to the doctor and feel like I am 25......

Pros: fresh, organic, delicious

Liked it, didn't love it! - Edit

Yum! I liked my burger. I would recommend this place as it does nice food even if the server struggled to understand my British accent. Toilets in a strange location!

Looks are deceiving, this place is awesome - Edit

This place looks like a stoned surfer hangout but is really an amazing vegetarian joint in disguise. No one's in a huge hurry there, so don't expect fast food speed, rather take the time to enjoy the cool ocean breeze (the beach is just across the road and down a hill).
The soups are great, especially the amazing lentil soup. Definitely ask for the soup to be HOT - the laid back staff serve the soup lukewarm more often than not.
The sandwiches are good, some of them not as tasty. I recommend the hummus guacamole sandwich, which has plenty of taste and is really filling. The corn chips they make on site that come with the sandwiches are very good.
The smoothies aren't frozen, so they aren't particularly refreshing, but very healthy nevertheless. The sorbet-ish (but 100% fruit) frozen fruit however, is amazing... definitely recommend trying that.

Pros: amazing soups and sandwiches, laidback, no dress code, allows dogs, cheap

Cons: pretty slow , sometimes long lines, what happens when it rains?!

I Really Liked This Place. ;) - Edit

I really liked this place and had a lovely lunch here! I got a popular wrap; I believe it was the hummus and guacamole wrap? It was so good that I couldn't believe it. I'll admit I was apprehensive about going here since it's a stand, but whoa, it's so good. Try one of their peanut butter cookies too, they are mighty tasty! Beautiful patio as well.

I love The Stand - Edit

I used to go to The Stand all the time when I lived in Laguna, tons of variety for Vegans, and tasty enough to bring my meat eating friends without them complaining at me for the meals not having any meat in them.
Good sandwiches and wraps.

The Stand is a wonderful place! - Edit

I just wanted to disagree about the salads being bland and over priced. the salads are a great deal bigger than they look and are not your usual salads with a bunch of lettuce and a few tomatoes or a little bit of lettuce and not much else. They are big you will be amazed if you put the bigger salads in a bowl (they come on a paper plate which makes them look small as everything is packed in there) and they are chock - chunks of tomatoes - sprouts cucumbers etc. - there are many kinds - some topped with hummus some with guacamole - some have rice in them - some with bean pate etc. - they taste great to me. There are plenty of spices on the tables including Spike and braggs if you are not happy with the taste. You will meet lots of cool people there too! No - I am not the owners daughter - yes I do know him - I lived in the town a long time and in those days everyone knew each other. It was a great gathering spot. Highly recommended

Pros: tasty, healthy, friendly

Cons: limited seating

Simple Vegan Food - Edit

The food tastes really natural and homemade. The best deals are half sandwhich combos and the 1.95 taco with chips. The 100% fruit soft serve is also really tasty. Theres no soy or fake meat products, but they have a good selection of differnt kinds of meals.
Also, the salads are bland and overpriced.

Pros: wheat grass shots

Cons: sexist owner, over-priced

awebaby I think the stand is amazing! I lived in Laguna for 25 years and I still eat there whenever I visit which is pretty often.

I just wanted to disagree about the salads being bland and over priced. the salads are a great deal bigger than they look and are not your usual salads with a bunch of lettuce and a few tomatoes or a little bit of lettuce and not much else. They are big you will be amazed if you put the bigger salads in a bowl (they come on a paper plate which makes them look small as everything is packed in there) and they are chock - chunks of tomatoes - sprouts cucumbers etc. - there are many kinds - some topped with hummus some with guacamole - some have rice in them - some with bean pate etc. - they taste great to me. There are plenty of spices on the tables including Spike and braggs if you are not happy with the taste. Highly recommended

Vegan Paradise - Edit

What a treat to find this little treasure. An extensive all vegan menu with a very friendly and caring staff. You can't go wrong with any choice on this menu. Sandwiches, pitas, tamales, burritos, soups, salads, dressings, waffles, treats, fresh squeezed juices, smoothies, shakes, etc, etc. It's all here, it's all vegan and it's all good. Overwhelmed by the big menu and not sure what you want? Ask the staff, they are more than willing to help. Limited outdoor seating only; but it is a little off of PCH on Thalia so at least it's reasonably quiet. Don't forget to pack a couple of quarters for the parking meter. After you're done eating head across PCH and hit the beach!

Pros: Quality, Selection, Staff

Return to Laguna Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Stand closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8666 times since Aug 2007.