CLOSED: The Springs

213-223-6226

608 Mateo St (at downtown LA), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90021

Est. 2014 in a vamped-up large warehouse that also houses a retail store and yoga room. The raw food cafe and juice bar offers fresh salads and raw entrees, juices and smoothies. The only non-vegan item on its menu is honey. Parking in front. Confirmed closed, Sep 2017.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Fusion, All Raw

First Review by kenvegan

Relaxing place - Edit

Very relaxing raw food restaurant in the Arts District. Food is good, drinks are creative and customer service is friendly.

fabulous raw food - Edit

We finally made it here for our first visit for dinner with another couple. We didn't have a reservation, but we arrived early enough that it wasn't a problem. There was also free parking right out front and they are next to Farm Sanctuary's office. The space is large and modern. There was live music on Saturday evening as well. The service was attentive and friendly, but the highlight was definitely the food itself.

While it is very expensive and probably will only be a special occasion place for us, the food was superb. I started with a black forest cocktail and Dirk had the Big Dipper smoothie which he raved about. While we were disappointed to see honey on the menu, it was clearly labeled and easy to avoid. The four of us shared the reuben and cheese plate starters. Both fabulous. The cheese is made in-house too. The entrees included the sweet corn ravioli, tostada and two orders of the spaghetti alla carbonara. I thought the ravioli was very flavorful and everyone loved trying the spaghetti which was the highlight. Everything was beautifully plated and presented as well. For dessert, we shared the gianduja tart and the black forest cake special. The tart was tasty, but a bit hard to cut as it was still a bit cold. The cake was amazing and you'd never know it was raw as it was dehydrated so well that is seemed like a baked cake.

We stayed to chat even after dinner was done and they continued to replenish our water carafe. We had a lovely dinner and there is also a juice bar that several people were at as there were outlets for their electronics. The wellness center also offers yoga and massages. Definitely a meeting place with more than just food.

Pros: fabulous raw food, attentive service, free parking

Cons: serves honey

Big space, fresh food - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and was in downtown so stopped in for a look. The cafe is in a changing industrial zone of downtown among warehouses and a few trendy cafes. Not a walking destination.

The space is huge with high ceilings, room to walk around and browse at the gifts and things to one side. In the middle are tables for dining-in. To the other side is a juice bar and counter.

The menu features lots of raw salads and entrees. The prices are more expensive than expected for this type of food. We got a raw taco salad. Big bowl, $18. I also got one of their signature juices (has ginger and citrus), $9.

Overall, a good place for fresh salad, raw food, and juice. Expect to pay a premium price.

Pros: good juice, uses fresh produce, comfortable space

Cons: pricey, location a bit tricky to find

Amazing Atmosphere / Food Could Use Improvement - Edit

First reviewed their grand opening party. Here is my review of the restaurant for lunch:

I finally got a chance to actually order a lunch at The Springs. I simply ordered the Raw Nacho Salad. I was quite disappointed. My total bill was 24 dollars including tip for a bowl full of romaine lettuce, a little bland dressing, ad bit of creamy sauce and guacamole, a few sunflower seeds, and a few raw chips on top. I love the decor and atmosphere of this place, and would love to see this place do well. The samples of the food I had at the grand opening were tasty, and I was expecting more, but for an 18 dollar salad that is mostly lettuce, I feel this restaurant needs to improve their menu.

Below is my first review of the grand opening party:

I am attending the Grand Opening of The Springs. The space is gorgeous, with high ceilings, modern decor, and loads of indoor plants. I cannot wait to eat off of the regular menu, as the menu samples are just delicious!

A perfect hang out spot for vegans and non-veg types.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 17, 2014

Pros: Decor, Atmosphere, Waiting Staff

Cons: Food a bit bland

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Springs closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.