The Socialist Pig

613-463-8800

21 King St E, Gananoque, Ontario, Canada, K7G1E8

Serves meat, vegan options available. Coffee shop and restaurant with funky decor, one large community table, newspapers & magazines for guests. Uses local ingredients. Offers a few lacto-vegetarian dishes, marked. Coffeehouse opens daily at 8am, lunch is served from 11am, and dinner is served until 8pm, Fri-Mon. On weekends brunch is from 9am-3pm. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-6:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-3:00pm. Hours displayed are valid for winter.

Categories: Lacto, Western, Canadian, Non-veg

First Review by lisatea

Good options for lunch NOT brunch. - Edit

Original review (see UPDATE below): We were surprised to find good vegan options in this cafe! They even advertise "vegan and gluten free options" - my husband got the Tofu Banh mi sandwich & I got "The summer of '69" which was a rice/quinoa bowl with spiced squash! So good!

There aren't any great appetizers. We got the chips and salsa but it wasn't impressive. At their coffee shop next door they have soy, almond, chocolate almond, and cashew milk. They also had some vegan peanut butter balls.

Our waitress told us that they have 4 vegans on staff, including one that works in the kitchen. They have vegan mayo! We would definitely stop here again :)
------------------------
UPDATE: We stopped here for Brunch after a kayak trip and we're quite disappointed. I ordered the Huevos Rancheros sans egg & cheese (so it would've been flat bread, refried beans, salsa, avocado, cilantro, and lime). The waitress (who was very nice) came back & told us that the chef said that would be "too bland" and that he was feeling put off "with all the modifications" because we were basically making new menu items. What?! I literally just made your job easier for you.

I told the waitress, it was fine, we'd just have coffee, but she was so nice & wanted to help. We ended up ordering just avocado toast - basically what I ordered in the first place, but just avocado.

For a restaurant that touts it's "Vegan & Gluten Free" options (on the banner outside the cafe - see my picture) the lack of accommodation & veil of hostility from the chef was shocking. Simply put, the chef was a dick.

Be warned - go for lunch, NOT brunch if you want decent vegan options without the hate.

Pros: Great vegan options for LUNCH, Alternative milks, Cocktails

Cons: Options are limited, Apppetizers , Chef was NOT accommodating for Brunch menu

Great options, knowledgable staff - Edit

I got the Summer of '69 bowl, and subbed the Aji I with chimichuri sauce. Nom nom nom.

They have great coffee, too, with almond milk option.

Pros: knowledgeable staff more than 1 option vegetarian

Return to Gananoque Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Socialist Pig closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.