CLOSED: The Snug Public House St Kilda

03-95344678

2/12 Fitzroy St, St Kilda, Victoria, 3182

Serves meat, vegan options available. A traditional Irish pub offering a full vegan section of the menu, which consists of 10 dishes, including shepherds pie with hand cut chips and coleslaw; mushroom and stout pie with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables; the snug burger (double pattie, cheese, house pickles, sticky onion relish) with beer bartered onion rings and hand cut chips; Irish parma with chips and salad; bangers and mash with onion gravy and peas and others. NOTE: Items such as the chips, parma or burger may be cooked in the same oil as non-vegan items. Please check, they can be oven baked if requested. Live music. Confirmed closed, Mar 2017. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-11:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Delivery, Take-out, British, Non-veg

First Review by fletchiekins

pretty disappointed - Edit

I had seen a lot of recommendations on Facebook so thought I would take my vegan partner and Omni mum.
Was sadly let down.
The chips were soft and soggy, the facon and cheese on the vegan Parma was so bad that my partner gave up after two bites. The stout pie was alright. Mum was quite let down with her shepherds pie too.
The staff were very nice and explained the menu quite well however so they were a good point. But won't be going back. The cost was too much for disappointing food

Pros: nice staff

Cons: food, price

Bring back Vegan Tuesdays :-) - Edit

Very generously sized pub style meals with an all Vegan menu. Enjoyed the Mushroom stout pie; the spicy burger less so and the garlic cheese chips not so much. The sauce on the chips probably needs a bit more development to make it work (currently too much nutritional yeast, not enough vegan cheese). Note: we visited on an all vegan Tuesday which is no longer running, so chips will not ordinarily be cooked separately from the non-vegan items.

The service was very good and the size vs price of the meals was very favourable.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-27

Pros: You won't go home hungry, Good value, Friendly Staff

new favourite place! - Edit

This place is incredible!!! Not just the quality and creativity of the food (which is 10/10) but the owner is the loveliest and genuinely cares about his food and his customers. Can't recommend this place enough. Almost everything homemade, including the vegan cheese!

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-05

Pros: creative food, tasty as anything!, lovely owner

Cons: huge portions (i'm bad at restraining myself), toilets are always pretty gross

Pub Grub - Edit

Very large menu and very large servings in an area that should have been resplendent with vegan options for a long time, but is only recently awoken.
Was definitely worth checking out on Tuesdays (Vegan day!) ...but due to a lack of support from Vegans, Tuesday is now just like any other day.

Pros: Large menu, Large servings

Awful - what a shame - Edit

I had big hopes for this place - somewhere I could go and get a pint and a vegan feed. I really wanted to enjoy it but but ultimately the experience was probably the worst dining out experience I have ever had. The under staffed bar only had two people working on it and one of them was serving food too. They didn't seem to know what they were doing and the bar was busy.

Four of us sat down for a meal (the other meat eaters) but after waiting for an hour for a simple order the others left. I stayed around as it's not easy getting vegan food elsewhere at that time of night and when the food finally arrived it was good but I had to dine alone.

I got a refund but only because (I think) I demanded it - we should have been offer complimentary meals

I really want to go back to this place but will only go if I have at least two hours to wait for food.

Shame!

Cons: Service, Staff

Return to St Kilda Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Snug Public House St Kilda closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.