The Sentient Bean

912-232-4447

13 E Park Ave, Savannah, Georgia, USA, 31401

Coffee cafe offers a variety of vegetarian dishes, baked goods, and fair trade coffee. See website for live music, independent films, and other events. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Organic

First Review by bagfullofbricks

Yumm!!! - Edit

Just traveled to Savannah and didn't really know what to expect in the Vegan scene. The Sentient Bean definitely suprised me. I had a Soy Yerba Mate Latte that was super addictive. I also had the Vegan Breakfast Tacos that were delightfully spicy and fresh and gluten free! Last but definitely not least I had a piece of Chocolate Sweet Potato bread (gf + v!) That I almost drove back for another slice! SOO good! They are located in a prime location too being at the end of Forsyth Park. Staff is knowledgable of Vegan offerings and very friendly! I will absolutely be back when I am visiting again!

Pros: Nice Vibe, Bomb tacos , Lovely housemade Yerba Mate!

Cons: none

I think this place sucks. - Edit

The lowest rating for a vegetarian restaurant is 2 stars. So this place gets a pity star, apparently. They have a Paula Deen amount of eggs and dairy, which is unacceptable for a vegetarian place at this point. And then the food tastes pretty bad.

Delicious, fresh, and fare trade - Edit

I love that they source their coffee ethically and have a fully vegetarian menu. I have enjoyed the vegan super bowl, shepards pie, and pesto panini.

Pros: So many veg options. Breakfast options served all

Cons: Small portions in my opinion

A great place for a tasty plate or quick snack! - Edit

I love this place! The food is fresh and delicious, the staff excellent and lots of yummy vegan and vegetarian choices. Try the Earl Grey with lavender tea, any tea cake, muffin or cookie for a snack. To really fuel up I love the Vegan version of the Protein Salad! This is by far the best Vegan food I have found in Savannah!

Pros: Happy to make what you want the way you want it., Lots of Vegan options., Kind and loving staff.

Awesome Breakfast - Edit

It's rare to find vegan breakfast anywhere in the south. I loved the vegan breakfast burrito! I got it to go and enjoyed it all the way home on my drive. It was sweet, spicy, salty, literally all things that are good. It is a lot of tofu, could have had some rice or something to break that up but it was delicious none the less.

Pros: Flavorful, Big portion, Great price

Cons: Lots of tofu

great breakfast - Edit

The vegan breakfast burrito will keep you going all day! It also has gluten free options. They do serve dairy and eggs. Vegan options are marked.

Friendly casual cafe - Edit

Friendly casual place. They're more a coffee place but we came to get a light dinner. Burritos and sandwiches etc were fine. Nothing special but fit the bill. Vegan baked goods for the road were pretty good. Ambiance was on the grungy side.

Pros: good value, friendly

Cons: food not special

Vegan baked goods and alternative milks - Edit

I didn't get to eat a sit down meal here but they had a lot of vegan choices that looked great- the takeaway vegan breads I got were also delicious. They have soy or almond milk available for drinks, almond more expensive than soy. This is right next door to the brighter foods grocery/deli, so convenient for getting a drink, snack, and some other treats to go.

my go-to - Edit

Definitely more coffee shop than traditional restaurant, but the food is ☆~amazing~☆
The Bean is my ultimate favorite spot for getting work done or for grabbing a relaxed lunch.

Pros: literally across the street from Forsyth Park

Cool vegetarian haunt - Edit

I had lunch here with my husband after vegging out in the park for a couple of hours with a good book. I would recommend this place to anyone who is in Savannah.

There's a lot of tofu on the menu, and vegetarian meals can be made vegan by leaving out certain ingredients. We sat in the back garden which was eclectic and shaded. Just a pretty cool place to hang out and work or have a long conversation with a good friend (or made a new friend). I would say this place is worth a visit due to the cool clientele alone.

Pros: good coffee/tea and breakfast items, very cool vibe

Cool place with good food! - Edit

Stopped here while on a road trip. Very eclectic place!! Love the vibe. Food was tasty and fresh. Boyfriend had the Queso No Queso quesadilla and it was quite tasty! I had the Vegan Super-Bowl and liked it too. Dessert was good as well! Really enjoyed my iced tea. Staff was friendly. :-)

(Unrelated to the food) It's a little unkempt and they only have one bathroom which can be a problem when it's busy.

A few days later, on our way home, we decided to stop in again, this time for breakfast. It was Sunday, so there were brunch offerings! Everything we had was good. The pumpkin spice pancakes were delicious (local pumpkins). My boyfriend had the vegan breakfast tacos and enjoyed them. We ordered a vegan breakfast burrito to-go to share later and REALLY liked it. The vegan sausage is one of the best I've had! Loved the spiciness of the chai tea. It was super busy (9-10 am), but the line moved quickly.

A vegetarian oasis in Savannah - Edit

Reasonably priced, lots of options for vegetarians and vegans and a funky, friendly vibe. The only veg restaurant in Savannah.

more than just a coffee shop - Edit

sometimes I get a little skeptical of coffee shops that also serve food but this time my hopefulness paid off. the superbowl was super good. I got that and a sam smiths beer and my bill was less than $10. I was expecting it to cost twice as much. great place.

Pros: Great food, cheap, cool location

Cons: none

Great atmosphere - Edit

I have only eaten here once and I liked everything I had. The selection was very good.
What made this place memorable for me is the atmosphere of this place. It is a very relaxed place to hang out, even if all you want is some coffee and to read. It seems that people of all ages and backgrounds feel comfortable here.
Will visit again when in Savannah.

great place for a healthy, cruelty-free meal - Edit

This place has so many vegan options from smoothies, baked goods, and breakfast and lunch items. The food is great and they finally started accepting credit cards. It is conveniently located next to Brighter Day where you can stop in for some groceries and is a fun place to go for lunch after visiting the farmers market in Forsyth Park. There is a bit of a hipster-don't-take-a-shower vibe here though.

Pros: delicious food, many vegan options, now takes credit cards

Most definitely an art school stereotype. - Edit

I do not mean the title as a bad thing. It was just very funny to walk into this place and experiencing the quirky typical clientele. As for coffee, it i nice that they have non dairy choices. I am a coffee addict and am always looking for places that are accommodating. I also visited here for brunch and was pleasantly surprised to have the choice of tofu scramble with veggies and polenta. I am always a fan of breakfast food and am hardly ever able to actually get it when I go out. The staff was friendly and the food came out quickly. The food was not anything special, but it was good.

Pros: Quick food, Interesting atmosphere

The best!! - Edit

This is our go to place in Savannah. We visit this city often and breakfast at the Bean and a walk through and around Forsythe Park with our dog happens every single time! They have an awesome daily menu and some great additional items at certain times of the year. They also have several vegan baked goods from which to choose. Veg or not this is the place to have breakfast in Savannah!

Pros: delicious food, great options, outdoor seating for those with pets

Cons: The only one is in Savannah 2 hours away

Good food, hippy-veg atmosphere - Edit

We've been eating at The Bean for years. The food is consistently good, and the service is better than it used to be, so consider that when reading some of the older reviews. The coffee is great, and it is the only vegetarian place in Savannah.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 08, 2015

Pros: All Vegetarian, Free Wi-Fi, Good Coffee

Return to Savannah Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Sentient Bean closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.