The Scullery

• Veg-friendly
Contact 252-321-1550

431 S Evans St, Greenville, North Carolina, USA, 27858

Serves meat, vegan options available. Coffee and dairy ice cream place that also offers food. The coffee is locally roasted and ice cream is in-house-made.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by The Vegan Chemist

Okay.. - Edit

There are a few options that can be made vegan, but my experience with multiple visits has been less than amazing.. Each time I've had a different waiter, most of which seemed uncomfortable and not very understanding when I say "I'm vegan"

The last time we were there, I ordered the grilled veggie. The waiter was in such a rush that he barely heard me say that I was vegan, and I didn't even get a chance to say I wanted it on a wrap. By the time it got to me, the only request I had made that went through was "No onions"

It came on bread, which was buttered, and had mayonnaise. The waiter didn't seem to care enough when my husband spoke up about the order being wrong, and by the time he asked if I wanted him to take it back, I was so upset I told him not to bother. My husband ate the sandwich later, which he said was good.

On the plus side, the lemon basil hummus is very tasty, and the tea I had there (with soy milk) was so good I had two cups.

Pros: good coffee and tea, tasty hummus

Cons: Not many veg options, mostly not accommodating to

I am a regular here. - Edit

I love this place. The owner is an awesome guy who, if you are lucky, will sing opera for you while you eat. He is also very knowledgeable about veganism and will personally make something for you if you would like to alter a menu item. On the menu, the hot salad and sauteed veggie sandwich are amazing, just remember to ask them to make it vegan. They also just added a falafel wrap and a Mediterranean plate. The falafel is vegan and the plate comes with hummus, pan fried chips, and a salad. Ask them to replace the tzatziki with more hummus and you are gold. My favorite thing there are the soups, though. They regularly have vegan soups, which are incredible. Aside from that, the fresh veggie wrap is vegan and several of the salads can easily be made vegan.

As for the coffee, they always are able to bring out a small cup of almond milk for me to use as a creamer. They can also use this to make any of their espresso or latte drinks. If you would like a smoothie, they will gladly create one for you, replacing the ice cream with almond milk and ice. They are extremely accommodating and the staff is knowledgeable.

Pros: Delish food, Accommodating staff

Cons: Busy at lunch time/Saturday

It's okay, needs more vegan options - Edit

I have been there twice as a vegan (and several times as a vegetarian. As a vegetarian, you are in the right places with lots of options. As a vegan, you will have to do some tweaking.

The falafel is vegan (but I really would like to go back into the kitchen and make it myself because it's lacking *something*). I ended up putting it on a salad because I think the bread or wrap they served it in contained dairy or eggs. Another time I got a salad, which is pretty standard and kinda boring. I really wish they had a bean burger that had no eggs or a portobello burger. They have no vegan options for cheese, mayo, cream cheese, etc.

Lastly, their ice cream is great if you are a vegetarian. But please, please, as one of the places that actually makes their own ice cream, can you make some vegan (aka non-dairy) ice cream? It's incredibly easy if if is coconut based. I make my own and would be happy to share a recipe or two. :)

Pros: good atmosphere, friendly service, food for vegetarians

Cons: must do a lot of subs for vegan food, lack of nondairy ice cream, lack of vegan dairy options

Return to Greenville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Scullery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1280 times since Feb 2012.