The Root Note

Contact 608-782-7668

115 4th St S (at Main), La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA, 54601

Little cafe located in the historic downtown district serving soup, wraps, burgers, salads, pizza, nachos, hummus, and baked goods. Uses sustainable, mostly local, and organic ingredients. Fully vegetarian with vegan options including crepe and chili. There is local art on the walls, and an eclectic mix of entertainment which ranges from nationally touring acts to local favorites, trivia to all ages open mic & a weekly jazz night. Has Wi-Fi. People come in to study during the day. Family friendly. Open Mon-Sat 8:30am-12:00am, Tue-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sun 8:30am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Jamaba824

Sweet spot! - Edit

While the menu has changed since my first visit, the Root Note is still a great spot in La Crosse. They no longer list vegan items on their chalkboard, however after asking I was told they still offered these items. The vegan crepes are great and definitely worth checking out.

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Great Atmosphere, Live Music

Cons: No longer list vegan items publicly

no vegan options, not worth the stop - Edit

I am traveling by on a cross country trip and was happy to see a vegan friendly stop in LA crosse. Sadly this place has no vegan options unless you count coffee. Not worth the diversion from rt90. LA crosse is a cool town though and root note is hipster cool with good coffee but I walked away hungry.

Pros: nice location

Cons: no vegan options, eggs eggs eggs

Loved It. - Edit

We had the black bean chili (vegan) and the Cremlin crepe with mushrooms, spinach and fried egg. The coffee was great, the iced tea was great, and the staff was very pleasant. Even the music was good.

Pros: Boho Atmosphere, Great Food, Friendly People

Meh - Edit

We had visited the Root Note a year ago and were pleased to find vegan options in such a small town. We planned a return visit despite it being a bit out of the way and the somewhat slow service.
However upon entering this time I noted the change. Gone were the vegan options. Replaced with vegetarian friendly but very vegan unfriendly crepes. Thankfully their soup of the day was vegan that day but I definitely won't be going out of my way again. And my omni dining date didn't even enjoy his crepe.
I am sad to see another vegan-friendly oasis in the land of dairy gone.

Pros: Cute Atmosphere, Good coffee

Cons: No vegan options, Overpriced.

Not great for lunch - Edit

This place seems to have fair trade coffee and tea, but no vegan food options as far as I can tell. They had "savory" crepes the were vegetarian but not vegan. I went in there looking for lunch, but left without eating due to the lack of vegan food options and the apathetic waitstaff.

Return to La Crosse Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Root Note closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2578 times since Apr 2010.