The Riverside Vegetaria

• Friend

Vegetarian restaurant overlooking the Thames river, with terrace seating available. Menu offers many choices, including daily specials. Book ahead to ensure a table. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Catering

First Review by Saddler

Beautiful location but I could cook better food at home. - Edit

Staff were very friendly and the views are beautiful and it's nice and clean. Food however tastes watered down and there's no depth or real flavour to any of it, we didn't stay for dessert.

Good menu and location - Edit

Good menu and our food was fine. Decor bit dated and some staff a bit indifferent.

Vegetarian business - Edit

Having heard many good things about this place, my partner and I found the menu unimaginative, filled with one-pot dishes such as curries and stews, which were overpriced for something we could make at home. The complimentary bread was served with butter and was so dense and mealy it was inedible. When the dishes came out, half the plate was filled with a plain salad which gives the illusion of a huge serving but tasted highly uninteresting. For dessert, there was no vegan ice cream (we were told they had run out) and the crumble was utterly dry and tasteless. We didn't find service overly pleasant and haven't returned since, despite living locally.It might make a nice impromptu lunch stop as the location is stunning.

Updated from previous review on 2015-01-03

Pros: Location, Vegetarian business

Aubergine in Peanut Sauce = Mmmmmmmmm - Edit

I've been coming here for about 15 years , and after initially trying nearly all the items on the menu, I finally settled on my favourite, which I have had every time I've been for the last decade: Aubergine in peanut sauce (slices of battered aubergine fried and served with a peanut sauce, brown rice and salad). The location is beautiful too - right by the Thames, and on a sunny day you can sit outside.

Pros: Location, Aubergine in peanut sauce

Great meal - Edit

We nearly didn't go to this lovely place due to the negative reviews on Happy Cow.
Not sure how much more than this people actually expect?
So glad we went.
Great service.
Tasty food.
Healthy portions.
Will most certainly go back.

Pros: Fabulous location , Peaceful ambiance , Generous portions

Cons: Maybe a cheaper House Wine, No more cons

Nice place - Edit

The place is very pleasant with river view and big choice of vegan meals (it is not a vegan place but most starters and almost all mains are vegan). Food was tasty and not very expensive but a little bit to oily.

Lovely Vegan Lunch - Edit

Beautiful views of the river, inside or outside.
An extensive and delicious vegan and vegetarian menu.
Friendly and helpful staff.

Pros: Vegan Choice, Staff, Ambiance

Cons: Accessibility for disabled

average - Edit

I had the bean and avocado salad to start: canned beans, a bit of avocado, iceberg lettuce and a few olives in a tasteless dressing which was heavy on the oil. Followed by potato curry with brown rice.

Pros: nice location, pleasant staff.

Cons: decor, in need of a refurbishment

Contributions +14

Riverside Delight - Edit

Wonderful food and lovely, warm-hearted service. Personal favourites are the potato and cashew nut curry and the masala dosa. Being vegan and gluten free, not sure how I could live without this place!

Vegan food options - Edit

Was pretty excited to find this place and the plentiful vegan options, however I did not enjoy the food that much. I had Tofu Teriyaki and my partner a green lentil curry. Both meals were acquired taste, kind of heavy.. Somewhat oily ... Somewhat spongy taste ... somewhat bland .. Even though it had lots of veggies. It didn't radiate health ... Veggies either were not fresh or cooked poorly. Disappointing experience for award winning restaurant ...

Pros: Vegan food options , River view

Cons: small place, Acquired taste, decor

Riverside, Baby ! - Edit

Very sweet restaurant overlooking the river. Squash & Chickpea curry is to die for.

Great Food and Great View - Edit

Really enjoyed this place. I had the organic spicy vegetable balls to start, then the organic potato, cashew and spinach curry. Washed down with two vegan mango lassis. Didn't have time for pudding but noticed several vegan choices for next time, all with the option of vegan custard or vegan ice cream. The food was really tasty without being too oily or salty, and I think this is the first time I've ever seen organic options in a restaurant.

Note, there is a restaurant called "Riverside" in the local John Lewis store with very mediocre food and hardly any vegan options, so please take care not to confuse the two !

Pros: Great food, Numerous organic and vegan options, Great view

Cons: no table cloths, quite tight for space

dated interior - Edit

I'm afraid this is another negative review. When you go in, there is a fusty smell in the entry way which is not very encouraging. On the way downstairs to the dining room there are portraits of notorious child rapist the guru Sai Baba. As mentioned in other reviews the food is very expensive for what you get - small portions of extremely bland, unimaginative food. The place is stuck in the '70s in terms of decor and food and has the sort of food that non-vegetarians think we eat. The only good thing is that vegan food is clearly labelled and there is a view of the river.

Pros: Vegan labelling, View of the Thames, Only veggie place in Kingston

Cons: dated interior

not as expected - Edit

After reading good reviews when I went was surprised at lack of vegan food, had a large samosa and a few tapas style dishes between me and my Omni sister, good for a snack but not a meal, and was surprised that there was no vegan dessert as heard there was cake

Nice view but overpriced - Edit

It is one of those vegetarian places that seems to support some religious cult and don't have anything close to a professional chef. We got excited by the variety of vegan options and ordered 6 things. None is something I would want to eat again or try it at home. We were actually less impressed than this but it won't be polite to say more. The prices were totally unjustified by the quality of the food & the way the restaurant looked.

Lovely place - Edit

They have a great menu both vegan and vegetarian. Menu layout is very clear as to what is and what is not vegan, gluten free etc. Also a very large variety of dishes available which is great but always makes it more difficult to chose what to eat! haha. I popped in here with some friends after hearing about it and apart from the food listed in the 'snacks' section everything seemed to be overpriced for what we got. Don't get me wrong, food was good but it seemed a bit expensive. Still a very lovely place, nice staff, I'm sure in the summer it would be even more amazing sitting along the riverside. Would recommend in a heart beat.

Pros: Large variety of choice, Tasty, Friendly staff

Cons: Overhyped

The food was nice - Edit

We went here for valentine's day. It's was £25 for 3 courses and an appetiser. The food was nice, however it was quite basic for the price and wasn't laid out particularly special either. We were expecting much more for the money we paid. We saw the takeout menu and couldn't understand why it was so much cheaper, less than £5 for a main. In terms of the atmosphere, the staff were very friendly but the tables were so tightly packed in what is quite a small restaurant anyway, it was near impossible to take your coat off without it flinging over the table behind.

Pros: fresh food, friendly staff, take out menu

Cons: tightly packed seating

Wide Variety Of Vegan Foods - Edit

The majority of the menu is suitable for Vegans, and there is a huge list to choose from-which can take a little while! There're a great fusion of flavours, and we've never really been disappointed. They have dishes to suit most tastes-hot, mild, subtle, and more intense flavours. They even have a Vegan chocolate cake, for desert!

Pros: Wide variety of dishes, Most dishes are Vegan, Good portions

Return to Kingston Upon Thames Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Riverside Vegetaria closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.