The Rising Phoenix

Contact 0244-315416

The beach, behind Baden Powell House (at /off High Street), Accra, Ghana,

Bar and vegetarian restaurant, also a hotel. Set high on the cliff overlooking the harbor and the ocean. Lush tropical gardens. Thatched summer huts to sit under. Mon-Sun 7:30am-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, African

First Review by Jayjazz

Good find - Edit

I went with a local who knew the place, which was good as it was pretty hidden. It's rastafarian and the menu was quite extensive. The food wasn't amazing, but in a country where vegetarian food is not common, I was ecstatic to eat there!

Pros: Overlooks ocean, Many choices

Cons: Location is hard to get to

Ummmm..... - Edit

After being so incredibly excited at seeing so many vegetarian restaurants in Ghana I was a bit tempered by actually trying them.....The Rising Phoenix was just okay. Mixed vegetables with rice was all that was available the day I went. Not bad, good actually. Luke warm sodas were also offered.

There was no inhibition about smoking at all! Lots of people smoking weed, which was SO weird! I didn't really care, but it was almost too much. I'm glad I was forewarned here though or it would've been such a shock!

Except in the hotel where I stayed, it doesn't seem like there's very much emphasis on Customer Service, certainly not at this restaurant as the only gal I could see that was actually working did not acknowledge us at all at first, let alone a welcome. She was busy talking to another patron, but finally took our order and about 40 minutes later, yes, 40 minutes we got our food and left.

Very out of the way, very hard to find, even though I was with a person FROM Accra. At least I got some food.

Pros: veg food

Cons: terrible customer service, hard to find, smoke

delicious and chilled - Edit

This place would be pretty hard to find if you'd never been to Accra before, luckily we were with some people that have lived there for a while. It's a rasta bar so despite the signs requesting ppl not to there are plenty of rasta's smoking spliffs which is fine by me. it's right on tyhe cliff edge so you can look out over the ocean. the food is great with western food like veggie burgers and ghanan style vegan versions,as usual in Ghana not everything on the menu will be available everynight. I was boring and had a veg burger but it was great and after 2 weeks of rice was a godsend. Reasonably priced at about 8cedi. You can also go just for drinks whicch again are reassonable price.

Pros: Amazing views, chilled, varied menu

Cons: hard to find

Return to Accra Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Rising Phoenix closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1409 times since Sep 2009.