CLOSED: The Restaurant of Life

• Vegan

Contact +36-207769843

Garibaldi str 5. (at near Parliament), Budapest, Hungary, 1054

Formerly Mannatural and rebranded in early-2015; same management and is still a raw food restaurant. Offers raw meals, soups, desserts, smoothies, and raw crackers. The mixed plate features a variety of dishes. There is also a sweet shop that sells Hungarian desserts and various cake. Has Wi-Fi. Reported closed to HappyCow, Jan 2016.

Category: Vegan, Raw, Western, Fusion, Hungarian

First Review by CeciliaTegner

Nice - Edit

The food wasn't the best I've ever had but it was still okay. The cakes were delicious and they had many different types. The place was little too cold in winter and they don't sell anything warm since it's a raw food restaurant.

Pros: cakes

Tasty raw dishes - Edit

I got a mixed plate of raw stuff: curry rice, some horseraddish cabbage thing, cucumber cashew cream salad, spicy tomato sauce with olives, red beet salad, and apple chucks with cream sauce.
The curry rice and cucumber salad were delicious, the rest not so much.

Pros: Nice raw food

Cons: not very cozy and comfortable environment

My favourite in Budapest! - Edit

This was absolutely my favourite restaurant in Budapest! I visited there twice because I liked it so much!

It was also the first totally raw restaurant I visited and I really liked the food. There is a selection of different mixes and salads and both times I just chose the mixed platter which is a mix of everything including a few crackers. While there were some salads on offer on both days, other salads changed, so they offer different salads on different days. I absolutely loved the food both times.
There is also a choice of three smoothies, one day I chose the green one and the other day I chose the yellow one, and I loved them both. They tasted so fresh, and they still were like a drink and not that heavy on the stomach.

But the real highlight of the restaurant are the cakes! I tried two different chocolate cakes and both were PERFECT, probably the best cakes I have ever eaten. Wow. I wish I could offer one to every person I meet making a shabby comment about vegan food.

The restaurant is more expensive than the other restaurants I visited in Budapest, but totally ok if you consider what you would pay in such a restaurant in Western Europe or even Scandinavia or the UK.
Service is very friendly and English is well spoken. Moreover, the location close to the parliament and the Danube is perfect as well.

This restaurant was a real highlight during my trip to Hungary!

Pros: Perfect food and all raw, Great location & staff, Reasonably priced

just fine - Edit

We were there to try the cakes as they were nice, but not amazing.
They could use some music, definitely not the comfiest place.

Pros: very well situated, next to parliament building

Cons: friendly staff, pet friendly

A vegan feast - Edit

As mentioned by other reviewers, this place is now called The Restaurant of Life. I absolutely loved the food here. All the mains sounded interesting and flavourful. My boyfriend and I each got a main plate with three options each (there were around 12 options overall). I got paella, spaghetti and a creamy tabouli. My boyfriend got a coconut cream salad and a sweet thai curry. All of my mains were delicious and filling - you'd never know it was all raw. My boyfriends options were delicious too. After our meal we shared a cake and it was heavenly! All the cakes looked amazing (there was a bounty cake! Yum!), it was hard to settle on one so I definitely want to go back. (Disclaimer - my boyfriend didn't really enjoy the food, he said it was too healthy and "not his thing". He doesn't like raw food though. If you're not into wholefoods and raw stuff this place isn't for you!) The waitress was very friendly and described all the dishes to us in detail (in english) and we felt very welcome).
Updated from previous review on Friday April 03, 2015

Pros: Lots of variety, Flavourful, Friendly service

Cons: Has a "healthy" vibe so not for everyone

Best (and only?) Raw Food in Town - Edit

Very friendly, medium sized place just next to the Parlament. Their food varies from day to day, but since the dishes are all pretty similar, it doesn`t matter. Soups, smoothies, fresh plant "milks", salads, gourmet raw dishes, raw crackers made from dehydrated vegetables and seeds, and FANTASTIC cakes. Seriously, even if you don`t fancy having a meal there, the place is worth visiting for their cakes alone. Not over priced at all. Overall positive experience.

Pros: affordable, very healthy, great location

Cons: lack of variety, could use some interior design

Great Raw Find! - Edit

First the name- this can be a little confusing since the listing is for Mannatural. When you arrive at the address, you'll see a restaurant on the street level called The Restaurant of Life. There is a sign at the top of the stairs next the entrance that says Mannatural. The stairs take you down to the kitchen, where the restaurant used to be before it expanded upstairs. In other words, they are the same restaurant. Now for the food...my husband and I shared the variety plate and we were very satisfied. My husband, who is not used to eating raw, liked it a lot and had no issues eating an entirely raw meal. The dessert was a layered cake and it was excellent. The service was very friendly and helpful. I definitely recommend this healthy, fresh raw vegan restaurant.

Pros: Fresh, Raw, Convenient

I go there just for the cakes - Edit

I'm not a raw vegan, but I like the cakes from this place:) super amazing and not expensive:) their raw selection is limited. Not as many, but their is amazing:) I would give a 4 stars just for the cake:)

Pros: Best raw vegan cake

Recent Visit - Edit

Only total raw restaurant in Budapest. Salad bar very limited but OK. What you really come here for is the Cakes! They are fantastic. We returned three times during our stay. Our host Olivia was lovely ,very friendly and of course spoke perfect english. Strongly recommend a visit.

Excellent Raw Restaurant - Edit

First off - don't think you haven't found it. It is labelled as Restaurant of Life. I almost walked by thinking it was gone.

This place is great. The desserts looked so good, I decided to have my meal backwards. In addition to the incredible chocolate cake I had, the owner gave me some samples of other desserts. All were amazing. There is a variety of counter served items to choose from that you can get in a small plate or large plate size. Such a sweet little spot that is easy to get to and quite central to a lot of attractions (Parliament, etc). Absolutely terrific, a definite for the list as you plan. Staff has limited English but he did a great job with what he knew and since it was all vegan, no worries!

Pros: Dessert, Nice Owner/Operator, Location

best and cheapest raw food! - Edit

I went there with my whole family and we all stuffed ourselves. smoothies, main dishes, bread, cakes, you name it, and ended up paying less than 50 € for 5 people!!!
if I could, I'd go there every day.

Pros: amazing variety of raw dishes, best raw cakes, delicious juices and smoothies

Cons: staff didn't speak any English

Delicious! Would definitely recommend. - Edit

Really good selection of raw food. Me and my boyfriend had a mixed plate as it all looked too good to choose. We also had smoothies and cake which were both delicious. The lady serving us was really friendly and her English was extremely good so we knew what we were ordering. Would go back again if we had more time here :-(

Pros: Lots of variety, Friendly staff, Moderate prices

Almost perfect! - Edit

There are so many great things! It was my first experience with the RAW food. The food looks strange for me (hihi!) but it's really tasty and what surprised me a lot, I was totally full! I ordered a full plate and after eating only a half of it I was feeling really good ;-) But it wasn't cheap... Definitely for pros are that this is open during the weekend (it's hard to find something open on Saturday...), this is 100% RAW and of course vegan and that there is also the wifi. Cons? The guy doesn't speak English, so I had no idea what I was eating (NO IDEA! :-D). There is not many information in English (only the main information like 'salads' or 'drinks') what made the offer not very wide. So I have the mission - I will come back to this place (maybe next year) and check if it is better for the No-Hungarian clients! :-)

Pros: RAW and VEGAN!, Wifi, nice atmosphere, clean, tasty food

Cons: no english, food is not describe, maybe too much expensive

The best desserts in Budapest - Edit

I had a few slices of raw vegan cake at Mannatural, and all of the cakes were delicious! They had 7 raw food cakes in a glass case. Yes, you read that correctly! 7 cakes! I cannot name any other raw food restaurant that has so many choices of raw food cakes. I brought a friend to this restaurant and treated her to a piece of raw vegan cake, as she had never heard of such a thing. She loved what she ate, and took pictures of it to share with her friends/family on facebook. Centrally located, and highly recommended.

Pros: Excellent desserts

nice location! tasty raw food - Edit

next to the parliament you find the mannatural (has a new name on the door but i cant remember!) Very friendly guy served us and especially the raw cakes were delicious. we had a mixed platter and if its youre first time there its probably the best choice! you get loads of different salads and some crackers! they also serve fresh smoothies! has wifi

Pros: raw cakes, friendly stuff, location

Great raw food, great location! - Edit

A stone's throw from the Parliament, now on after level, cool decor, delicious food.
I had a selection of three items with delicious juice. All of the food was good, but the one that the lady serving described as a Hungarian speciality was divine.
Cakes all looked so tempting and my carob confection was mouthwatering.
Although it wasn't crowded on my visit, people were also popping in to get their lunchtime takeaway, so it is clearly popular with locals.

Pros: surprisingly filling, delicious juices, yummy cakes

Cons: labels on the dishes would help

Wonderful, wonderful! - Edit

I highly recommend ordering the mixed plate to eat. They give you loads of food- practically everything on the menu! I ordered the mixed plate and was absolutely stuffed. Most of the food is some variation of a shredded vegetable doused in sauce. They also have raw crackers with spread on top which are delicious. I had a slice of carrot cake for dessert along with a cocoa macaroon and gingerbread macaroon. Both were wonderful. I ordered another slice to go and the man behind the counter (presumably the owner) gave me two more macaroon balls for free. I did not realize that the restaurant chargers for take away containers (they refund you if you bring it back) so I came up short. The man behind the counter told me that it was fine and to just enjoy the food.

Pros: incredible service, beautiful restaurant, delicious food

Great experience - Edit

We (2 adults) paid 20$ for two smoothies, two full plates and dessert cakes. We enjoyed all the raw salads, crackers and desserts as it was very delicious and filling. The smoothies were outstanding as well, we decided for a poppy seed and an apple-spinach one. We were very satisfied with the price as this is an 100% raw vegan restaurant.
The man was very friendly and patiently explained everything to us as far as his english/german let him :-)
Definitely worth going there! See as well my blog about my vegan experience in Budapest: http://rawsday.wordpress.com/2013/07/26/vegan-in-budapest/

Pros: Taste, Price, Variety

Cons: his moderate english skills

Food ok, but too expensive - Edit

After reading the good reviews here, we had to try Mannatural. It's not located downstairs anymore, but has a nice retaurant in the street.
We asked what everything is and they recommended a mix plate menu. One plate should be enough for two adults and a smoothie and cake is included in the menu.
We got one mixed playe and everybody (2 adult, 3 small children) got a small plate with crackers. The children didn't like anything, but we found it tasteful.
There was a red smoothie which was said to be cherry. It tasted really strange. I asked if this was ok and they said it also contains grapefruit. They should have said this in the beginning as the taste was very different than just cherry.
When we were finished I went to pay. The bill was 9600 forint. This was much more than expected. There were two cakes on the bill which should be included in the menu. After notifying this the bill was 8300 forint. This was still much more than expected. We didn't receive a specification. They billed two menus and we only ordered one. They billed the crackers which we didn't order at all. We thought they were in the menu as they were put on our table.
We had a really bad feeling when we left.

Cons: Too expensive, Billed things we didn't order

Healthiest food in Budapest — and great desserts! - Edit

I ate here twice on my recent short visit to Budapest, and really enjoyed it both times. There's plenty of interesting creations to try, and they offer several mixed-plate and menu options to help you sample their flavors affordably.

Whatever you do, though, don't miss the stuffed cabbage rolls, which are quite interesting and satisfying, and the delicious desserts.

Their juices and smoothies are great, too. I especially liked the poppy seed smoothie.

Very friendly service, with good English spoken by some of the staff.

One tip: Though their posted hours suggest they are open until 9pm, in practice they sometimes close as early as 8pm if nobody is there, so be sure to arrive before 8:00.

Highly recommended! :-)

Pros: Fresh, raw, healthy, & tasty, All vegan, Great smoothies and desserts

Another nice one in Budapest - Edit

Everything tastes kind of the same but good for a hot day when you want to keep it simple. And the nut milks and juices get 5 stars--you can get them to go and stock up!!!

Great find - Edit

This was a great find. Right around the corner from the Parliament. I loved that they had sampler platters so you can taste several dishes without having to choose just one or two. The staff explained all the dishes to us.
The smoothies and cakes were bonuses. Enjoyed everything we tried.
Loved that it was both vegan and healthy.
So glad to find good vegan food on vacation and not have to settle for another salad.

Brilliant find - Edit

Having thought it would be really difficult to find lactose free veggie food in Budapest, this was a great find. They offer a range of raw vegan salads and dishes as well as juices and deserts. This was my first raw experience and I really enjoyed it! Brilliant value for money, lovely setting and very friendly staff who are more than happy to explain dishes.

Pros: Value for money, Friendliness of staff, Setting

Great first raw food experience - Edit

The restaurant is nicely decorated (they hide well that it is in a basement).
I got a plater. It was many different sorts of cabbage (and others) and all of them very well prepared and tasty.
Great experience.
The staff spoke good English and explained all dishes :)

best in Budapest. - Edit

Went here on the recommendation of a fellow hostel stayer and I'm so glad I did. One of the best meals I've had in Europe. For 2500 HUF (12 usd) you get a sampler plate with ten types of salads and spreads, a fruit or veggie smoothie, and an choice between one of their many delicious cakes.

If you are in Budapest and don't make it here you will really be missing out. It's close to the parliament building and very easy to find/walk to from the center.

Pros: the cakes!, lots of different seeds and nuts used, great value

A must! - Edit

I went there for lunch with a friend and we had the " all you can eat menu". Every single dish was very tasty and well seasoned, we especially liked the poppy and sesame seeds milks, they were amazing! You should also try their fresh apple-spinach and apple-veggie juices. The staff is extremely kind and helpful, we also had some desserts, the carob mint pie was simply delicious. I would come back to Budapest just to eat there again, not to miss!

Pros: tasty, cosy, healty

Very good food - Edit

I went there with my husband. The place is small, only 7 tables... it is in the cellar... but it doesn't matter any how. Staff are very friendly. He took a mixed platter, two smoothies, 2 lemonades and a Raffaello cake. Everything was very good. For all together we payed 4400 huf; I would say very normal price. The cake was really delicious! We came back next day, just for cakes and smoothies. I tried rose cake, and it was heavenly good. My husband had chocolate cake and carob cake, all very good. The place is cosy, could use little more decorative touch.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good price

Fantastic Raw Food Restaurant. - Edit

Great raw food selection. I went for the mixed plate for 1500L, good variation and tasty. The cakes are to die for, 450L per large slice and the dairy free poppy milk drink is a must. To top it all off, the staff are incredibly friendly and informative, with perfect English. It has a humble look and setting, like being in a cotton womb. This place is a must for raw food and vegans!

Pros: good cakes., good milkshakes., knowledgeable staff.

Cons: humble setting., could do with a bit more variation., raw food burgers? they need a dehydrator.

Great food, great service - Edit

It's easy to miss this place as it's located down some steps on a quiet street near the Parliament. However, it's a gem once you're in there. The man who served us was very friendly and recommended us the mixed plate, which was basically an arrangement of different salad dishes accompanied by some unusual but tasty seed crackers. We were advised to eat slowly and chew a lot and we obediently followed the instructions, finding that we were fuller for longer afterwards. The smoothies were very good and the cakes were very creative. Given a better location, this place would probably be a lot busier. Definitely recommended!

Pros: Delicious smoothies, Great salads, Good service

Cons: Difficult to find

Healthy and delicious food - Edit

Don't be discouraged by the appearance of the place; it is in a basement and does not look very neat or pretty.
But the service is great, everybody speaks English and the food is good. They don't serve very processed foods like most vegan restaurants but rather have all raw ingredients and everything is "home" made there.
My boyfriend and I paid 5,400 HUF for two smoothies, two mixed plates, a whole lot of desserts (they are delicious!) and a medium topperware with food to take away.

Will definitely go there again!

Pros: friendly staff , healthy food, raw ingredients

Cons: poor aesthetics

Do not miss! - Edit

Great place w/ super friendly staff! Really hard to find, since it's hidden in a basement with just a small sign on street level. We were 13 people, and they were still able to let us in during lunch for a mixed platter, smoothies, cake, soup and tea. We were REALLY treated! All this food for just 2200 HUF p.p, awesomeness! Everything tasted amazing and a lot of the ingredients were from the owner's farm.

Pros: Great food!, Great staff!, Great value!

Cons: Hidden location

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Restaurant of Life closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12134 times since Aug 2011.