CLOSED: The Restaurant of Life

+36-207769843

Garibaldi str 5. (at near Parliament), Budapest, Hungary, 1054

Formerly Mannatural and rebranded in early-2015; same management and is still a raw food restaurant. Offers raw meals, soups, desserts, smoothies, and raw crackers. The mixed plate features a variety of dishes. There is also a sweet shop that sells Hungarian desserts and various cake. Has Wi-Fi. Reported closed to HappyCow, Jan 2016. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Raw, Western, Fusion, Hungarian

First Review by CeciliaTegner

Nice - Edit

The food wasn't the best I've ever had but it was still okay. The cakes were delicious and they had many different types. The place was little too cold in winter and they don't sell anything warm since it's a raw food restaurant.

Pros: cakes

Tasty raw dishes - Edit

I got a mixed plate of raw stuff: curry rice, some horseraddish cabbage thing, cucumber cashew cream salad, spicy tomato sauce with olives, red beet salad, and apple chucks with cream sauce.
The curry rice and cucumber salad were delicious, the rest not so much.

Pros: Nice raw food

Cons: not very cozy and comfortable environment

My favourite in Budapest! - Edit

This was absolutely my favourite restaurant in Budapest! I visited there twice because I liked it so much!

It was also the first totally raw restaurant I visited and I really liked the food. There is a selection of different mixes and salads and both times I just chose the mixed platter which is a mix of everything including a few crackers. While there were some salads on offer on both days, other salads changed, so they offer different salads on different days. I absolutely loved the food both times.
There is also a choice of three smoothies, one day I chose the green one and the other day I chose the yellow one, and I loved them both. They tasted so fresh, and they still were like a drink and not that heavy on the stomach.

But the real highlight of the restaurant are the cakes! I tried two different chocolate cakes and both were PERFECT, probably the best cakes I have ever eaten. Wow. I wish I could offer one to every person I meet making a shabby comment about vegan food.

The restaurant is more expensive than the other restaurants I visited in Budapest, but totally ok if you consider what you would pay in such a restaurant in Western Europe or even Scandinavia or the UK.
Service is very friendly and English is well spoken. Moreover, the location close to the parliament and the Danube is perfect as well.

This restaurant was a real highlight during my trip to Hungary!

Pros: Perfect food and all raw, Great location & staff, Reasonably priced

just fine - Edit

We were there to try the cakes as they were nice, but not amazing.
They could use some music, definitely not the comfiest place.

Pros: very well situated, next to parliament building

Cons: friendly staff, pet friendly

A vegan feast - Edit

As mentioned by other reviewers, this place is now called The Restaurant of Life. I absolutely loved the food here. All the mains sounded interesting and flavourful. My boyfriend and I each got a main plate with three options each (there were around 12 options overall). I got paella, spaghetti and a creamy tabouli. My boyfriend got a coconut cream salad and a sweet thai curry. All of my mains were delicious and filling - you'd never know it was all raw. My boyfriends options were delicious too. After our meal we shared a cake and it was heavenly! All the cakes looked amazing (there was a bounty cake! Yum!), it was hard to settle on one so I definitely want to go back. (Disclaimer - my boyfriend didn't really enjoy the food, he said it was too healthy and "not his thing". He doesn't like raw food though. If you're not into wholefoods and raw stuff this place isn't for you!) The waitress was very friendly and described all the dishes to us in detail (in english) and we felt very welcome).
Updated from previous review on Friday April 03, 2015

Pros: Lots of variety, Flavourful, Friendly service

Cons: Has a "healthy" vibe so not for everyone

Best (and only?) Raw Food in Town - Edit

Very friendly, medium sized place just next to the Parlament. Their food varies from day to day, but since the dishes are all pretty similar, it doesn`t matter. Soups, smoothies, fresh plant "milks", salads, gourmet raw dishes, raw crackers made from dehydrated vegetables and seeds, and FANTASTIC cakes. Seriously, even if you don`t fancy having a meal there, the place is worth visiting for their cakes alone. Not over priced at all. Overall positive experience.

Pros: affordable, very healthy, great location

Cons: lack of variety, could use some interior design

Delicious Cake - Edit

We bought a chocolate cake to take away. The owner was helpful and told us what was available. The cake was one if the best I've eaten! I didn't try anything else.

Pros: reasonably priced

great cakes, mediocre food. - Edit

Go there for the cakes, but skip the food.

We took a mix of everything available for our meal and they were all quite tasteless.

Great Raw Find! - Edit

First the name- this can be a little confusing since the listing is for Mannatural. When you arrive at the address, you'll see a restaurant on the street level called The Restaurant of Life. There is a sign at the top of the stairs next the entrance that says Mannatural. The stairs take you down to the kitchen, where the restaurant used to be before it expanded upstairs. In other words, they are the same restaurant. Now for the food...my husband and I shared the variety plate and we were very satisfied. My husband, who is not used to eating raw, liked it a lot and had no issues eating an entirely raw meal. The dessert was a layered cake and it was excellent. The service was very friendly and helpful. I definitely recommend this healthy, fresh raw vegan restaurant.

Pros: Fresh, Raw, Convenient

I go there just for the cakes - Edit

I'm not a raw vegan, but I like the cakes from this place:) super amazing and not expensive:) their raw selection is limited. Not as many, but their is amazing:) I would give a 4 stars just for the cake:)

Pros: Best raw vegan cake

Recent Visit - Edit

Only total raw restaurant in Budapest. Salad bar very limited but OK. What you really come here for is the Cakes! They are fantastic. We returned three times during our stay. Our host Olivia was lovely ,very friendly and of course spoke perfect english. Strongly recommend a visit.

Excellent Raw Restaurant - Edit

First off - don't think you haven't found it. It is labelled as Restaurant of Life. I almost walked by thinking it was gone.

This place is great. The desserts looked so good, I decided to have my meal backwards. In addition to the incredible chocolate cake I had, the owner gave me some samples of other desserts. All were amazing. There is a variety of counter served items to choose from that you can get in a small plate or large plate size. Such a sweet little spot that is easy to get to and quite central to a lot of attractions (Parliament, etc). Absolutely terrific, a definite for the list as you plan. Staff has limited English but he did a great job with what he knew and since it was all vegan, no worries!

Pros: Dessert, Nice Owner/Operator, Location

best and cheapest raw food! - Edit

I went there with my whole family and we all stuffed ourselves. smoothies, main dishes, bread, cakes, you name it, and ended up paying less than 50 € for 5 people!!!
if I could, I'd go there every day.

Pros: amazing variety of raw dishes, best raw cakes, delicious juices and smoothies

Cons: staff didn't speak any English

Delicious! Would definitely recommend. - Edit

Really good selection of raw food. Me and my boyfriend had a mixed plate as it all looked too good to choose. We also had smoothies and cake which were both delicious. The lady serving us was really friendly and her English was extremely good so we knew what we were ordering. Would go back again if we had more time here :-(

Pros: Lots of variety, Friendly staff, Moderate prices

greatest raw food in budapest! - Edit

Really nice and helpfull staff, amazing desserts! Can really recommend the mixed plate for 2000huf, enough food gor two!

Almost perfect! - Edit

There are so many great things! It was my first experience with the RAW food. The food looks strange for me (hihi!) but it's really tasty and what surprised me a lot, I was totally full! I ordered a full plate and after eating only a half of it I was feeling really good ;-) But it wasn't cheap... Definitely for pros are that this is open during the weekend (it's hard to find something open on Saturday...), this is 100% RAW and of course vegan and that there is also the wifi. Cons? The guy doesn't speak English, so I had no idea what I was eating (NO IDEA! :-D). There is not many information in English (only the main information like 'salads' or 'drinks') what made the offer not very wide. So I have the mission - I will come back to this place (maybe next year) and check if it is better for the No-Hungarian clients! :-)

Pros: RAW and VEGAN!, Wifi, nice atmosphere, clean, tasty food

Cons: no english, food is not describe, maybe too much expensive

The best desserts in Budapest - Edit

I had a few slices of raw vegan cake at Mannatural, and all of the cakes were delicious! They had 7 raw food cakes in a glass case. Yes, you read that correctly! 7 cakes! I cannot name any other raw food restaurant that has so many choices of raw food cakes. I brought a friend to this restaurant and treated her to a piece of raw vegan cake, as she had never heard of such a thing. She loved what she ate, and took pictures of it to share with her friends/family on facebook. Centrally located, and highly recommended.

Pros: Excellent desserts

nice location! tasty raw food - Edit

next to the parliament you find the mannatural (has a new name on the door but i cant remember!) Very friendly guy served us and especially the raw cakes were delicious. we had a mixed platter and if its youre first time there its probably the best choice! you get loads of different salads and some crackers! they also serve fresh smoothies! has wifi

Pros: raw cakes, friendly stuff, location

Return to Budapest Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Restaurant of Life closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.