The Remedy Diner

Contact 919-835-3553

137 E Hargett St, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, 27601

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has a veggie meatball sub, vegan chicken salad, veggie dog, build your own salad, usually a veg daily special, and several other veg items on menu.

Category: Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by dmh

Rude waitstaff, overpriced meh food, no kids menu - Edit

We had a very inattentive, snarky, rude waiter! The food is meh. Not horrible but not that great. It seems like they don't put any effort into the food, like they open a box of prepared or frozen food items, nuke it, throw it on a plate. But they charge more than double what you'd expect to pay for it. Super overpriced and I'm not a stingy spender at all. Also there is no kids menu. We ended up sharing portions of our entrees with my 10 yr old nephew. Next time we're out in downtown Raleigh we will go to Fiction Kitchen. We will never step foot in Remedy again.

Pros: Ummmm... hmmmm... cant think of any., None, Zip

Cons: Rude waitstaff, Unremarkable food, VERY overpriced - and no kids menu

Not worth it - Edit

The food is bad. The service was bad as well.
I ate here with my husband. We had the veggie chicken wings, which were fairly good, though I had better. The ranch dressing was delicious though. Then we got our main enteries - the Vietnamese sub and the BBQ sub. Both sub were barely edible and made me wish we ate somewhere else. The Vietnamese sub was basically tofu covered is sriracha that was barely cooked, and then pickled veggies that tasted like a straight up shot of vinegar. The tofu was soft, not the fried crispy tofu you'll expect in such a sandwich, and had a weird taste like it was left out for a little too long. The BBQ sub was just really bland and dry and had a weird after-taste. The food was so bad we left the diner still hungry, because hunger was better than succumbing to more gross flavors.
I am usually not someone who writes negative reviews about service, but the quality of service here made both of my husband upset. The whole meal took about two hours, because service was that bad. It took us 15 minutes just to get the attention of the hostess and get a table, despite the two open tables waiting for diners. From the time we ordered to the time we got the appetizer, 45 minutes passed. The waiting time for the sandwiches was shorter, yet still ridiculous. We discussed getting up and leaving several times during the lunch. I am puzzled why the waiting time was that long for sandwiches and an appetizer. The waitress hardly ever checked up on us, and we didn't get an apology. It is one thing to get this bad of a service for excellent food, but to wait this long for food that is barely edible still makes me mad just thinking about it.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-04

Pros: Vegan options are clearly marked on the menu, Many different vegan dishes

Cons: Food is barely edible, Waiting time for food is outragous, Service was bad all over

Good casual dining - Edit

Good food, but nothing over the top amazing. Had their tempeh sandwich with pesto mayo, avocado, and soy bacon -- wise nice to have a sandwich with so much romaine in it too.

Fried broccoli was okay -- very oily, not fried like cauliflower sometimes is with breading. The vegan ranch was bomb though.

Pros: Sizable vegan selection , Large portions, Doesn't only use analogues

Cons: $$$$ for quality

Best veg restaurant in Raleigh - Edit

This is my absolute favorite place to eat in Raleigh! Around here you're lucky to have more than one or two vegan options on a menu (usually asking to hold the cheese and mayo) so the Remedy Diner menu makes me feel like a kid in a candy store. My husband (non-veg) and I have to order the vegan wings every time. I love just about everything on the menu. The vegan reuben is my favorite, the ranch dressing is amazing and if I have room I get the coconut pie. My husband loves the vegan BBQ. It's nice being able to order vegan grilled cheeses or quesadillas for the kids too. I love, love, love this place!

Pros: great food, nice outdoor patio

Cons: a little pricey

Eh - Edit

Close to Marbles if you're going to Raleigh as a family. Food is okay; portions are small. If you are taking the family, beware that some of the "art" may not be appropriate for younger kids or more conservative families. The last two times I've been, there has been profanity written on the back of the restroom door. The staff is aware; they just don't care.

Pros: Close to Marbles

Cons: EXPENSIVE, May not be appropriate for kids

The pie is amazing - Edit

The food is mostly-vegan diner fare. I had the tempeh bacon sandwich and my husband had the banh mi sandwich. I highly recommend both! We also shared a salad as an appetizer and it was okay. Maybe I was expecting too much, but it was a bit boring--lettuce with sliced cucumber, tomato, and green pepper. We ordered the sopapilla (cinnamon) cheesecake and the coconut pie for dessert. We meant to share one and take one home for later...we ate both and ordered another coconut and a key lime to take with us. The pie at Remedy is seriously amazing, especially the coconut. Lots of coconut creaminess, with coconut flakes and a perfect crust. Yum! The waitress told us that the desserts are made by the owner's mother-in-law. My compliments to the MiL! She is a pie genius.

Pros: Great vegan sandwiches, Amazing vegan pies and cakes

Cons: Boring salads

Best Diner in Raleigh - Edit

My husband and I went here weekly while we lived in Raleigh. The menu always stayed true to our favorites. I absolutely love the tempeh tantrum. I wish the fries were GF or the tempeh bacon. The service is pretty spotty, not always welcoming but a wonderful bite none the less.

Pros: Delicious menu

Cons: Service

Unhealthy vegan food? Yes please. - Edit

They mostly carry unhealthy vegan food options on their menu. Even their dessert menu is mostly vegan, including their chocolate cake. All of the vegan food I've ordered here in the past was pretty tasty. Even some of their appetizers, one being their vegan buffalo wings--which are a bit spicy, but really hit the spot. Another one of their yummy appetizers (this one you can veganize) would be their nacho plate, which was delicious--especially with the vegan daiya cheese melted over the nachos. The veggie burger here is also pretty delicious, as well as their french fries. They also have art for sale on the walls of the restaurant. Overall, if you're looking for a vegan-friendly place to eat which cooks vegan comfort food, then eat here.

Pros: Tasty vegan food, Artwork and atmosphere, Comfortable

Cons: If only they were all vegan...sigh, Service can take long at times, More on the pricey side

Vegan-Friendly Downtown Restaurant - Edit

Great staff, delicious unique dishes. Knowledgeable about vegan food, not knowledgeable about vegan alcohol. Had no idea which wines and beers were vegan.

Vegan versions of thousand island, ranch, mayo, etc. Vegan specials that vary. Clearly marked vegan sandwiches and entrees. Delicious desserts (most of them are vegan). Appetizers are awesome!

Cool, hip, downtown atmosphere. Kooky art on the walls. One of my favorite Raleigh restaurants, especially when my omni friends want to go out!

Pros: Clearly marked vegan options , Friendly staff , Awesome atmosphere

Cons: Can be pricey (at least for the broke college stud

My fav for sandwiches - Edit

My best friend will not let us pass through Raleigh without stopping here. For good reason, too. They have a diverse menu, with a vegetarian section and a separate vegan section. Anything on the vegetarian menu can be made vegan easily. One of their sandwiches, which is my bestie's and my favorite, is rated by PETA. The staff is lovely, as well. If you are there for dinner, there is an expanded menu that includes several larger dished. Many times, we have shared multiple things because there were so many options that sounded delicious. Their soups change, and most of the time they are vegan, as well! Keep a look out for their specials; they are incredible, too!

Pros: Lovely staff, Obscenely awesome food, Great menu

Diner-style eating for veg crowd - Edit

When I think of a diner, I think: greasy food, unhealthy items and late nights. This place delivers on those fronts, but in vegan format. Cool. Half the menu is veg, which is fabulous; half of the veg menu is vegan, which is super helpful.

Who doesn't like fried food at a diner? I love it. Enter fried broccoli with none other than sour cream (tofutti?) dipping sauce. YES. For vegan eating, that's a surefire way to be close to maximize unhealthy eating. It is SO good though - but don't let the broccoli sit for too long, then you'll see the oil and think: What did I just do?! Oh my, but the nachos, the sandwiches, the fries - you can just load up on all the unhealthy bad-for-you foods that you rarely eat, because, well, it's a diner, and you're eating, not replenishing nutritional vaults.

For beverages, classic beers, wines, coffee, juices, sodas for your selection are plentiful. Really, though, it's just window dressing for the main event of the food. Dessert is also available, vegan or otherwise, but not gluten free vegan. Still, who really cares, if you can eat gluten, to eat some now and then? It is good homemade style dessert like key lime pie - yum. Chocolate cake -classic.

A diner must have a diverse selection of appetizers, salads, entrees and dessert. Check check check check. Though really, a salad, at a diner? Nice that they have them, but give me the nachos, the fries, the deep fried broccoli and let's call it a day. Oh, and come back for brunch? I didn't get a chance, but it looks pretty impressive for a diner style meal!

My concerns that bring it down to 3 cows from 4 is that it's mostly sandwiches. Also, it didn't seem as clean as I would like it to be….. so, yeah… Good though for a diner!

Pros: Vegan friendly, Junk food happiness, Brunch

Cons: Diner-esque cleanliness

Definitely stop by - Edit

An omnivorous friend and I stopped by. Great menu items of all kinds, and a nice selection of draft beers as well. I had the Tempeh Tantrum and I quite agree with another reviewer in stating that, while I would enthusiastically eat it again, PETA calling it one of top 5 (or whatever it was) sandwiches in the country is a bit of a stretch. Would definitely go again if I am ever in Raleigh again.

Pros: tasty food, several draft beers available, wide variety of food of all restrictions

Vegetarian

Contributions +47

Gouda Grits, yes please! - Edit

Cute little space I like to visit when I come to Raleigh. I've only been for brunch, but it's always a great experience. I haven't branched out yet from the Remedy Breakfast cause it's so tasty. The gouda grits are a prime example of why I can't go vegan, I love cheese so much! I wish they had a little more variety on the vegetarian side though.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Nice Location, Good Music

Where Vegans and Omnivores are equals - Edit

This place is a great downtown Raleigh spot to hit when you've got omni friends that don't want to go to a "vegan place". It is the best of both worlds. I found it a great place to introduce friends who were curious to try a few things.

The outdoor seating is pretty nice on a day with good weather and a huge parking deck is right behind the location. The deck is free to get out of after 7pm.

I will say that my "crab" cake was a little dry and OVER cooked once and the philly cheese "steak" was too much oil for my stomach that is otherwise pretty used to cleaner eating. But hell, this place is going for the true diner feel I guess. It is pretty charming nonetheless and I'd still go.

Having tried a few things, however, I'd stick to the tempeh tantrum as it won't throw a fit in your tummy.

Pros: outdoor seating available, options for omni friends too, nearby parking

Cons: sometimes to greasy or dry

Great Vegan Diner Food - Edit

I've gone to Remedy Diner a few times and I enjoy their rotating seasonal menus but also their staple sandwiches. My favorite is the reuben, maybe the tempeh tantrum, and the bbq- all tied heh. It's hard to pick just one.

The majority of their vegan options are sandwiches- diner type food- but also have some heartier dishes after 5pm.

They have wonderful vegan desserts so make sure you save some room!

Pros: Food comes pretty fast, Rotating Options, Dessert!

Cons: Can get crowded

Like a wise friend once said, hit or miss. - Edit

I moved to Raleigh about 3 months ago, but I have been to Remedy about 4 times. A Vegan recommended I go, so off I went.

First time I went to Remedy, I got their wings and the Tempeh Tantrum (their staple vegan sandwich.) Both were good... Remedy proudly puts on their menu that the tantrum is a PETA top 5 sandwich in the USA winner. I wouldn't give it as much praise, but its definitely a solid sandwich that I'm sure I'll eat again. The wings...pretty ordinary (not an opinion shared by many I'm sure! Don't lynch me!) but the vegan ranch that comes with it is very good.

I also have had the crabby patty. It was fine, made with mock soy. I'll give it extra credit for attempting to imitate a fish protein, you don't see that often in vegan eats, but it does a fine job.

Had the eastern carolina BBQ sandwich the last time I went, it was..meh

I'm really looking forward to the meatball sub, it will be the next thing I order. In my 5 years as a vegan I can't remember having a meatball sub!

The mac n' cheese dish they have was fine the first time I had it. I did however sample a friends last time, and it was bland and boring. I will also note that its incredibly spicy (maybe that was just that particular one that day) too spicy for me.

The deserts are where its at at Remedy, all vegan except for the one I forget. I have had all except for the sopapilla (which they say is the best) I however love the chocolate cake. Luck of the draw whether the waiter shorts you on slice size! haha

Remedy is small and cozy though, which makes you keep coming back (like I will many times I'm sure)

I give remedy 4 stars for being a great food resource for vegetarians and vegans alike. It has a warm atmosphere and everything on the menu is clearly marked, and highly adaptable to the vegan diet. I will even forgive it for that rude [edited by staff] waiter we had last time who tried to shuttle my friends and I out. I guess he though we were going to be hanging around until after closing.

Pros: Diverse Vegan menu, Environment, Typically friendly staff

Cons: Consistency , Not expensive, but definitely not cheap, Space (Part of its allure maybe?)

frozencemetery 16 Jun 2014 - Totally agreed on the Tempeh Tantrum... it's a great sandwich that I would also eat again, but it seems strange that this is the best the US has to offer.

A Great Veg*n Go-To - Edit

I've been eating at Remedy for about two or three years on a pretty regular basis (once a month or so) because they're a great go-to local place for a vegan in Raleigh.

They have an entire (large) section of the menu (titled "Alternative Therapies") dedicated to vegetarian and vegan selections. They are mostly - though not exclusively - sandwiches, and I especially recommend the veggie Reuben (with Daiya instead of regular cheese), East Carolina BBQ and Tempeh Tantrum.

They also have great vegan cakes and pies, which a server once told me are homemade by either the owner's or one of the staff's mother. They are delicious. Period.

Everything is delicious, the staff is nice, and it's a GREAT place for take-out. As a little tip if you do take out: Park in Cafe Luna's lot on the corner. You'll not be in the restaurant long enough for them to tow or ticket you, and you won't have to struggle to find parking or park on the parking deck.

Remedy isn't perfect, of course. The downsides would be that you have to pay extra for Daiya substitutions and fries. (Though the fries are worth it - WAY better than the default bag of kettle chips.) Those substitutions can add up, for sure.

And if you're looking for a "healthy" vegan place, this isn't it! It lives up to its name as a diner, for sure: Good and greasy.

They also close by 9 or 10pm, which always seems strange to me - somehow I associate diners with being open late. Though I think I did see something on Facebook about new later hours on Friday and Saturday, I can't find any listing of their hours now. So I guess better communication might help, too!

Pros: Great sandwiches, Good vegan desserts, Awesome fries

Cons: Charge for any substitutions, Close early

Return to Raleigh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Remedy Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.