The Red Lion Pub

+44-20-89882929

640 High Road Leytonstone, East London, England, E11 3AA

Serves meat, vegan options available. Part of the Antic pub and bar group. Offers a variety of drinks and pub food. Kitchen is aware of vegan requirements for a meal and always have one of two veg options on the menu that can be made vegan, or call in advance to arrange a specially-made vegan meal. Host music events inside and out in its backyard. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-2:00am, Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, British, Non-veg

First Review by kezia

best Sunday Roast!! - Edit

The Red lion pub is my local and I have eaten here many times, the Sunday Roast is the best I've had priced at £10 with fresh steamed veg, vegan roast potatoes and gravy, you can't go wrong and the quinoa nut roast is really tasty!! The pub has a great atmosphere, staff are always friendly and they often have different events and entertainment on...They don't serve any vegan desert but a few doors away is the Wild Goose Bakery which serve a range of vegan cakes definitely worth a visit

Friday Night Dinner - Edit

A great find thanks to Happy Cow. I phoned ahead and opted for the aubergine canaloni. Although not what I had expected because there was no pasta (!)this dish certainly hit the spot. The aubergine was served with a delicious tomato sauce, really rich with red and yellow peppers. My husband and I were hungry so when it arrived (a smaller portion than we had anticipated) we ordered a couple of orders of fries and I'm so glad we did because they were delicious and our waitress got them to us in super -quick time. Mum had the haddock and said it was fresh and the best she'd eaten in a while.
After dinner we spoke with Laura, the restaurant manager, who is lovely and asked about other dishes that we could order. Laura said that their chef likes to try new dishes and as long as we give a couple of days notice, they should be able to accommodate us.

We're planning to return in a week or so with some friends who aren't vegan but are just as fussy.

Pros: Really friendly and welcoming staff, Great ambience, Loved the decor especially Victorian chandeliers

Cons: Could get quite loud and busy, Not sure what the parking restrictions are

Catered for really well, for our vegan lunch - Edit

The Red Lion pub, in the heart of Leytonstone, East London, is owned by the Antic chain that also have a similar style pub in Leyton. The decor is vintage, with wooden floors & although very spacious, most evenings it is packed. They also have a big outdoor area, which is great in Summer.

However, after a very bad eating and customer service experience we had there in the Summer of 2014, we were put off eating there for some months, but last weekend, when friends were over from the U.S and as the pub itself is so nice, we thought it would be worth a second chance.

My partner and I are vegan and our friends are meat eaters.
Due to our experience last time, I thought I'd ring a week in advance and find out what vegan options there would be available for us. I was told that there would be the usual vegetarian option of 'Five Bean Chili, sour cream and corn bread' on the menu, which ordered without the sour cream, it would be suitable for vegans and that on the day we were going, one of the specials would also be vegan! This dish was called 'Butternut squash, hazelnut, mushroom fricase with rice'. Very delicate in taste and presentation, it was absolutely delicious! I was very happily surprised. Everything on the plate was cooked really well & for dessert, the chef made us something that wasn't on the menu! It was battered, deep fried Brambly apple rings, dusted with sugar, with golden syrup as an option to dip or pour. My friends, who ordered from the standard menu had the 'Buffalo Mozzarella in Carrozza Passat' and the 'Five Bean Chilli' & everyone enjoyed what they had ordered.
As for drinks, they have an ever changing selection of west coast pale ales, ciders and IPAs on tap, as well as all the usual spirits and mixers.

My main tip for any vegans or people with special dietary requirements coming to eat at the Red Lion, would be to give them as much notice as possible and I think that then, you'll be very pleasantly surprised :)

Pros: Great location -Easy to find, large pub - lots of drink choices

Cons: Serves meat, Only 2 veg options at the moment

Return to East London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Red Lion Pub closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.