The Red Fern

• Vegan
Contact 585-563-7633

283 Oxford St (at Park Ave), Rochester, New York, USA, 14607

Healthy vegan cafe serving fresh juice, breakfast-all-day, salads, sandwiches, entrees and has a full bakery case. Gluten-free options available.

Category: Vegan, American, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery, Catering

First Review by brett3333

Excellent place. - Edit

Very delicious cuisine, tasty juices and smoothies, wonderful deserts. The staff was friendly and provided attentive and prompt service. The menu had a decent selection for a cafe with a dozen tables. They had soup and specials also and a desert case with 20 or so options. I ate two three course meals here and loved all of it. I am picky, so this says a lot. The bread with the soup was great and the bread with the faux steak bomb was even better.

Pros: All vegan local organic. Reasonabley priced.

whaaaaaat! - Edit

Decided to go to The Red Fern yesterday after class and it absolutely made my day. On the specials board (meaning they do not always serve it) there was a Buddha bowl. I have seen them online (it is basically a nicely arranged bowl of deliciousness) and I ordered it without even looking at the ingredients. It was AMAZING! I am not a fan of tofu but they made the greatest I have ever tasted, I was freaking out while eating it I could not believe how good it was. There was sautéed kale and cooked beets with rice and a sauce and the combination of everything together was perfect. I don't know if it is the same every time but I would definitely recommend trying it out! I have tried other things on the menu and the BLT is my favorite. I am not a fan of everything I have had but when you find something good it is wonderful!

A dissapointment - Edit

I was looking forward to going to The Red Fern, given great reviews and interesting menu. Unfortunately, I found their food very disappointing. In fact their famous 'compost plate' might have been one of my worst meals I ever had in a restaurant.

Why so bad? Well, their tempeh was extremely salty and I could not eat much of it. The mashed sweet potato was served cold (I know it was labeled as 'salad' but I really don't get why sweet potato would be served that way). I did not like the celeriac pieces in it. The pasta was over-boiled and generally lacking flavour. I went back to try their dessert selection, but the cookie was mediocre and far from being redeeming. I know that a lot of people like this place but I simply can't figure out why..was I unlucky? Was the chef having a bad day? In general I would suggest visiting other places in Rochester instead, namely Vive or The Owl House.

Pros: good service, nice location, big portions

Cons: the food isn't good

my favorite local vegan Cafe! - Edit

Such creative and delicious selections for lunch and dinner.
The "egg" and tempeh bacon sandwich is delicious!
Also, the garbage plate is worth sharing.

Pros: selection of vegan food items

Cons: none

Lovely vegan resto - Edit

I really enjoyed my meal here. Came with some omni friends and they enjoyed their meals, too. The compost plate was a great way to sample a few dishes and the meat sauce was great. Lots of desserts to pick from as well, so make sure to save some space.

Local favorite - Edit

This place is the ultimate comfort vegan food destination. My favorite thing on the menu is the tofu "egg" sandwich. It has tomatoes, vegan mayo, greens, tofu that tastes uncannily like scrambled eggs, and the bread is amazing. I also stop here sometimes for dessert or a smoothie. This is a great place if you're transitioning to veganism and need mock meats and cheeses to help you acclimate. The only somewhat negative thing I'd say about this place is that the menu does rely pretty heavily on tofu, seitan, mock cheese, etc., so if you're not into that stuff, you're gonna have a hard time.

Pros: Great comfort food, Friendly service, Cute atmosphere

Cons: Not many non-tofu/seitan/fake cheese ops

Average - Edit

This is the third time I have been to red fern. I keep giving it a try because I hope for a more positive experience, but it just hasn't happened. First off, every time I have gone there I have been told what they are out of before I ordered. Like today when I ordered my sandwich, they didn't have focaccia bread. So my sandwich came out with so very average sandwich bread. And it bugs me that the sides have up charges. The sandwich with a "mashed/puréed sweet potato" side came to $13.50.

I appreciate an all vegan establishment, I really do, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything Someone couldn't just make at home for a lot less money. For the price sensitive folks, I would say this place is on the pricy side for what you actually get. Considering that it's just very basic sandwiches and comfort food, I would rather go to dogtown and get a vegan hot dog for $3.50 and be way more satisfied.

Pros: Vegan, Nice eating area

Cons: Expensive for what you get, Out of basic ingredients

Rochester's Premiere Vegan Destination - Edit

The Red Fern is one of my favorite places in Rochester. Their menu is delicious enough to satisfy your meat-eating friends. They offer a variety of vegan comfort-foods, but include healthy options as well (even some raw items). They make fresh juices and smoothies that must be tried. I dream about their compost plate! It is the perfect vegan answer to Rochester's infamous garbage plates featuring a unique take on mac and sweet potato salad. Every time I go I split a compost plate and something from the specials with a friend.

Pros: Excellent Food, Nice Atmosphere, Great Selection and Price

Loved it! - Edit

The Red Fern is a really cute little restaurant with a nice menu. I had the seitan "steak bomb" sandwich with a side of greens and it was very good. I will definitely be back to try some of the other items and the beautiful desserts!

Pros: 100% Vegan, Friendly staff, Great food

loved! - Edit

Visiting Rochester we were so happy to find this place. We ate there twice in 48 hours. I wanted everything on the menu - great selection + delicious!Everyone agreed the 'blt' was the best anyone had ever had. Loved the mac + cheese. The specials of the day were also amazing! Luckily we were with a bunch of people - so I was able to sample lots! Even non veg - were impressed. Fun, small, nice setting.

Adorable restaurant and great food - Edit

We stopped as we were passing through Rochester. The restaurant is small but I loved the atmosphere. The food was fabulous. We had the ABLT and the mac n cheese plate. We also had a brownie desert with a peanut sauce for dessert. The wait staff was great. I hope to return.

fantastic little vegan jewel! - Edit

Not sure what the previous complainers motivation was but the food was fantastic! I got the "garbage plate" and wow it was good. Service is friendly and trust me vegans this is worth a stop. Parking on street is usually easy also. I definitely come back!

Pros: great food, great desserts! , easy to get to

Cons: none

delicious - Edit

I had the raw kale salad adding tempeh bacon and it was delicious. I enjoyed the special of the day deviled potatoes and it was a great idea but not as flavorful as I would have thought. My companions had the Mac and cheese nachos and a veg burger. Everyone was happy full and clean

Very Disappointed! - Edit

Found Red Fern on Happy Cow and decided to try on a Friday afternoon. My companion ordered the Kale salad that was supposed to be topped with veggies. The salad had a few pieces of cabbage on top but was just a plate of kale with some tasteless dressing. The waitress picked up the barely touched plate and did not even ask if something was wrong. I tried the vegan steak bomb. It contained every processed vegan food item available and was greasy. It came with a vegan macaroni salad that was inedible because the mac noodles were not completely cooked. Just because it's vegan doesn't mean its healthy. The soy products used were not organic!
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 10, 2013

Pros: None

Cons: Everything

Finally! Rochester has a real allvegan restaurant! - Edit

Small and not a lot of seats but Red Fern's food is excellent. The steak bomb is one of the best sandwiches we've ever had. Ever.

Housemade desserts also excellent.

As long as you can get a table, you will not be disappointed at The Red Fern.

Pros: Great Vegan Food, Friendly Service, Excellent Vegan Selection

Cons: Small, On-Street Parking, Not too upscale for dinner

Return to Rochester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Red Fern closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5389 times since Oct 2013.