The Quay Street Kitchen - temporarily closed

• Veg-friendly
Contact 091-865680

Quay Street, Galway, Ireland,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Serves vegan lunch and dinner usually a vegan stew, a salad, and a vege platter of hummus and olives. TEMPORARILY CLOSED, JULY 2016. Please update.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Beer/Wine, Irish, Non-veg

First Review by NickdaSirolo

Vegan-friendly, nice ambience and friendly 5/5 - Edit

Really recommend this one! Vegan-friendly options, nice ambience and very friendly staff. Had maroccan tagine and veggie stack (fried tofu and veg pilled up on top of hummus) with fries, all very nice, will go back.

My favorite vegan food in Galway - Edit

I've probably been to Quay Street Kitchen more than any other place in Galway because I know that I can always get something vegan and delicious to eat. The location is perfect, the view beautiful and the food is healthy. After eating my weight in chip butties, it feels good to eat some quinoa and veggies and get a pot of tea.

Pros: healthy vegan offerings, great location, cute restaurant

Cons: serves meat

Great vegan food and ambience - Edit

The Quay Street Kitchen is my favorite vegan find in Galway. They are great about providing and labeling vegan options on the menu (there were about 3-4 vegan entrees you could have.) The atmosphere is cozy on a cold night and they play some classic jazzy tunes to enhance the mood.
I went two nights in a row: the first I got their tofu burger with sweet potato fries. The burger was great, with lots of roasted vegetables to add to the nice tofu base. The second night I ordered their vegetable curry, which had a slightly Indian taste but was rich and satisfying (even without dairy). Both nights I got their vegan desert (which I think changes often). It was a raspberry chocolate sort of cake made with sweet potatoes and served with vegan ice cream. Nice way to cap of a good meal.
I highly recommend it! The restaurant is rather small but busy too, so service can be a bit slow at points.

Pros: good vegan/veg options, Very tasty, good atmosphere

Cons: a little slow on service

There are vegan options but average food - Edit

Of all the places I explored in Galway this seemed to have the most vegan options, which included a vegan red-lentil ragout on the specials board. Great to have some choice and the atmosphere was quite pleasant although it became very busy for 4pm in the afternoon. Food was fairly average in my mind but not sure how this compares to the rest of Galway whereby there generally seems to be an effort to appeal to vegans with well marked vegan options.

Pros: Several vegan options

best food in galway - Edit

We had the mezze plate and mushroom soup to start. It was delicious and we were already full. I got the vegan fish fingers and they were amazing. The tartar sauce was perfect. Staff was very friendly and helpful in letting us know what was vegan friendly or not. Would definitely go back!

Cosy and vegan friendly place in Galway - Edit

My girlfriend and I had dinner here. We did not have booked a table before coming so there was a little waiting but the waitress was really friendly and did its best to find us a table. By waiting, we took a cider in the bar in front of the restaurant. When inside, we enjoyed the place and its nice atmosphere. We ordered the vegan mezze and the green bean-potatoe salad as a starter. Both were good and generous in portion. We then took the vegan burger and the vegan chicken nuggets. The burger steak was in fact the same fried white tofu that was called "vegan chicken nuggets". The burger was good, but the tofu was a little bit flabby. The French fries and the vegan mayo were excellent however. They also often have a vegan dish-of-the-day but we did'nt try it.

In terms of price, it was a little bit pricey for the food quality but it was consistent with the place (central street in Galway).

Pros: vegan options clearly indicated, friendly staff, nice atmosphere, large portions

Cons: usually crowded, vegan nuggets are flabby fried tofu

Awesome place! - Edit

It's a small and cozy place with nice staff and - most importantly - amazing food. I ordered the vegan fish fingers which were served with fries and salad. The food was brought out extremely quickly, the fish fingers were really interesting, different from any tofu I've had before and the dip was great with them. You won't go home hungry either, they serve a lot of fries with the fish fingers. If you want a great vegan meal in Galway, this is the place to go!

Pros: amazing food, clearly marked menu, cozy

Great visit in the centre of Galway - Edit

This restaurant is located right in Galway's centre, making a visit very convenient. I was surprised by the elegant interior and liked it very much. Service was also excellent.

My mom had the vegan fish & chips, with "fish" made of tofu, and was bit disappointed - unfortunately, the tofu tasted of nothing, and the portion was also a bit small.
I ordered the vegan curry with coconut milk and it was an excellent meal.
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 01, 2013

Pros: Great location, Elegant interior & great service , Fantastic curry meal

Cons: Fish & chips taste like nothing, Serves meat

Pretty good but not amazing - Edit

My family was in Galway in August and I was excited to eat here after having read the reviews of the tofu fish fingers. They were okay, but I think I was disappointed because my expectations were so high. They are not cut into medium size strips like I was expecting--instead, they are more like medium sized chunks of tofu. More like tofu fish pillows. My kids were underwhelmed but ate most of theirs and I ate their leftovers. The sauce served alongside the tofu was delicious, however. That is one recipe I would very much like to have.

There was another dish on the regular menu we also ordered, along with the special vegetable soup and the special roasted vegetable plate. We also ordered the mezze plate to start, which we all enjoyed very much.

It is a small but popular restaurant. I would go here again if I were in Galway.

Pros: a couple of vegan dishes on regular menu, cute restaurant in lively location

Cons: good but not great food, a bit expensive

Tasty and good location - Edit

I visited this restaurant for dinner during a 3 day stay in Galway after finding it on this site.

My party managed to get a seat at about 6.30pm on a weekday night, but the restaurant became very busy so I'd recommend going early or booking.

The menu is really well marked with lots of vegetarian and vegan options - I had the tofu fish fingers and my veggie partner had a veggie pasta special with sundried tomato oil.

The pasta special was a bit small but a pleasant change from the usual generic pasta that is offered in other restaurants. The tofu fish fingers were nice, but a bit bland as others have mentioned, they could do with marinating or using more seaweed or something. Otherwise the food was delicious and the service really friendly, and very accommodating of dietary requests.

I'd say it's not a vegetarian paradise or groundbreaking food, but if you fancy a nice burger / pasta meal where there isn't just the one mushroom burger on the menu for veggies, this is a great spot.

Pros: Great location, Friendly service, Well labelled and varied selection

Cons: Gets busy and is quite small, Moderately expensive

Good vegan food - Edit

Good vegan food, though the tofu was a little bland. Every other dishes were great! Staff very nice - they give you a chocolate with the bill - if they know you are vegan, they give you vegan chocolate!
Doesn't serves breakfast any more! It opens at 11.30 for lunch!

Pros: friendly staff, good food

Cons: A little expensive!

Exceptional Dining Experience - Edit

Absolutely delighted with this place. What a find! Thankyou Happy Cow! This place is currently number 1 on Trip Advisor too... Fantastic meals, totally considered for vegetarians, was so excited to be eating good food in an area that is full of dodgy pub meals. We're going back tomorrow!

Pros: Great produce, Many vego options, Quaint little place

Cons: None!

Excellent varied menu with vegan options - Edit

Great restaurant. Has fresh options daily and very helpful, friendly staff. Will be going back next time we visit Galway.

Pros: Vegan & veggie options, Good for meat eaters, Excellent wines & local beers

Best Meal in Ireland. Wonderful Restaurant - Edit

It was difficult finding vegan food in Ireland and, when found, the quality was usually lacking. All of that changed at the Quay Street Kitchen in the lovely city of Galway.
This restaurant was like an oasis in a desert of salad/chip meals.

The restaurant is situated on Quay Street, a lovely walking street in Galway. My companion and I took a seat outside, on the street, and enjoyed the night. We started with the Mezze board, a bread board with hummus, pita bread, olives, red onions, red/yellow pepper, and roasted aubergine and courgette. For my main, I had the Vegan Fish Fingers, which were Tofu Fingers, golden-fried in a kelp batter and served with vegan tartar sauce. The fingers had a slight fishy taste, but not too much (I never liked seafood when I wasn't veg) and were not too oily. The batter was slightly crisp, but not overly so, which was a very nice texture contrast to the quite soft tofu. For dessert, I enjoyed a lovely pot of tea with a delicious vegan apple pie slice (which came with vegan strawberry ice cream).

Overall, I was extremely pleased with my experience here. The restaurant had a more upscale feel and the servers were very friendly. It may bother others that they also serve meat and dairy, but if you're a foodie it's nice to have a spot for a truly good vegan meal. I highly recommend this restaurant, as it was easily the best meal I had in Ireland.

Pros: Wonderful Food, Great Atmosphere

Cons: Serves meat, Not a huge selection

Best place we ate in Ireland - Edit

I was so pleasantly surprised when I walked into The Quay Street Kitchen. The atmosphere was lovely, and the selection of organic, vegan and gluten-free options was fantastic. As a vegan celiac in Ireland, I had very few options when eating out, and I actually got sick a couple of times during our stay, but The Quay Street Kitchen was SO GOOD that we actually went twice in two days. The first day at lunch I had organic greens with gluten-free, vegan felafel and a tasty sauce, and the second day for dinner I had a Mediterranean medley tray with hummus, veggies, greens and more felafel (because it was SO good the first day). My husband is not a vegan and he was very pleased with his spicy chicken sandwich and even tried a vegan meal himself and loved it! The staff was super nice and helpful, and I would definitely recommend it!

Pros: Excellent food, Reasonably priced, Great service

Return to Galway Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Quay Street Kitchen - temporarily closed closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4638 times since Jul 2012.