First Review by

New Management - Edit

"The Purple Onion" is now "Purple Onion - Cafe of Newburyport". The menu is the same but things are being added and renovations are being made to the aesthetics and equipment. Great things to come! Their new website is www.purpleonionnewburyport.com

Pros: healthy delicious food, friendly service, you get more than your money's worth

Cons: improving on atmosphere

Portobello yum - Edit

Their portobello bowl vegan style is really good. If my memory serves me correctly there aren't exactly vegan options, more like vegetarian minus a few items, which if you're like me you appreciate the availability of vegan options but when all the flavor and "work" is in the dairy it can get frustrating to say I'll have this but without this and this and this. Blah blah blah, try the portobello bowl.

Pros: bowl option instead of wraps, friendly service

NOT Vegan-Friendly - Edit

The servers and preps are not educated in vegetarianism nor veganism. Our group of vegans ended up getting cheese on top of chili and sour cream in the guacamole. I truly believe, working in the restaurant business, that it is of utmost importance for each staff member to be fully educated of what is in their food and what specific eating habits people might have (i.e. vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, allergies, etc.)

burritoville - Edit

The folks at The Purple Onion are extremely accomodating to vegans visiting the area. We were able to construct our own, delicious and filling black bean burrito to our vegan liking. I've been here many times in the past and I always come here when I'm visiting the area, as most other Newburyport establishments are way far behind in vegan offerings.

Pros: accomodating staff, vean offerings, outdoor cafe

Cons: close early some days

Return to Newburyport Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Purple Onion closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2426 times since Aug 2007.