The Prince George

+44-1273-681055

5 Trafalgar St, Brighton, England,

Has a non-smoking area that doubles as the "family room" until 7pm - children not allowed after 7pm. Has vegan food options, and vegan wine labeled. Pizza Sundays from 6.30pm. Pub open until 10pm. Previously named The George. Open Mon-Tue 12:00pm-9:00pm, Wed-Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, Beer/Wine

First Review by Stevie

Who knew prince george loved veggie food! - Edit

Very impressive pub grub food, easy to make all vegan with many options.
The large nachos is a great snack to split between two and the cheese was perfectly melted. Quick as well!
Clean pub which is well looked after. Wonderful atmosphere while not being too boisterous. Staff are wonderful and accommodating.
Very expensive for food especially considering the prices of other vegan places in Brighton. Even though the food quality was amazing it would have been nice to have them cheaper and buy more meals

Pros: Clean, Quick, Realistic

Cons: Expensive, Not everything can be made vegan

Nice pub food - Edit

We came in at about 5.30pm and there was a lot of people at the bar, which made it take a while for us to order. The food was great though, and everyone seemed to think so.

Great food, nice atmosphere - Edit

Great little pub in Brighton serving great vegetarian and vegan food and also good beer as well! There is a lot of variety on the menu and portion sizes are generous. Friendly atmosphere and a nice walk away from the seafront to help you to walk up an appetite!

Pros: Great food, Friendly atmosphere, Quick service

Cons: Can imagine it may be difficult to find at table a

Really enjoyed, would definitely like to visit again - Edit

I visited this place for the first time and having just read some of the reviews, all I can say is I'm a little confused - and glad I didn't look the Prince George up before visiting!

The pub itself is cosy and very busy when I visited. Despite this, service at the bar and of the food was very quick. There are a range of vegan options - I chose the vegan chilli dog. On ordering, I was surprised that the waitress offered it with vegan cheese which was nice as normally the vegan option is just the same meal but without the dairy products. I was also really happy that vegan and vegetarian wines were labelled on the menu (a little sad that not all the wines were vegetarian though in an order otherwise vegetarian pub...).

The food when it came was a huge portion - one main course is definitely enough, I can't imagine many customers make it to desert in the Prince George... it wasn't quite what I was expecting from a 'chilli dog' but it was tasty and extremely filling.

The only negative I really think of is that the music was blaringly loud and I really struggled to hear what my friend - who was sat a foot away from me - was saying.

Overall though I really enjoyed my visit and would definitely consider visiting again when I'm next in Brighton.

Pros: Tasty food, Clearly labelled vegan wines , They had Astonish handwash in the bathroom!

Cons: Music very loud, Not all wines are vegetarian which is a big shame

Great food! Great Value! - Edit

My partner and I went to The Prince George for Valentines day and we were both very impressed by the food. There was a set menu with the option of 2 or 3 courses. We had a Tofu 'prawn' cocktail for starter, Ginger beer battered halloumi with chips for main course and a chocolate tarte for desert. All for approximately only 20 pounds! The atmosphere was great and the staff despite being busy were very smiley and helpful. The food took a while to arrive however overall we had a great evening at The Prince George.

We will be returning!

Pros: Big portions, Good value, Friendly Staff

Cons: Slightly slow service, Cramped seating

Ok but a bit pricey - Edit

I went to The George recently for a meal and was a bit underwhelmed. The menu looked really tasty, it was reasonably expensive but I thought it would be worth it. It wasn't really. Food was very average. Not really what you expect when you are paying a reasonable amount of money.

terrible place - Edit

I have given this place second and third chances to improve over the ten or so years I have been here but after visiting a couple of weeks ago that will be the last. Nut roasts covered in melted cheese, why? When there are so many decent places to eat in Brighton that do excellent sunday roasts (The Sussex Yeoman for example) why would you bother with this place? I am veggie but try to limit the amount of dairy I eat, It seems crazy in 2014 that this pub has not got their head around a menu that is not so based around dairy products. Other Sunday options where an unimaginative falafel burger and an omelette! Never again.

Pros: friendly staff, nice pub

Cons: unimaginative menu, too much dairy

Best Veggie Sunday Roast, but very slow service! - Edit

I had been to the the Prince George once before, for dinner, but for a long time had wanted to try the vegan Sunday lunch, particularly as not many vegan restaurants offer one.
When we arrived, they explained they were busy, and there would be a 40 minute wait, which we accepted. However, we waited an hour and a half! For the last 30 minutes we waited, no one else was eating and the pub had really emptied out. When one of the kitchen staff finally served us, habitually, I doubled checked, ' is this the vegan Sunday lunch?' He said, 'Yes, apart from the Yorkshire pudding, sorry I wasn't told'. He then promptly removed the Yorkshire pudding. I suggested, it might be nice to offer extra veg, in place of the Yorkshire pudding and I was brought 3 potatoes.
I think there needs to be better communication between the bar staff taking orders and the kitchen staff. It would help for a much smoother running of the pub. Maybe I caught this place on a bad day, as reading other reviews people seem to generally say good service.
Sorry if some of my points seem negative but I'm a stickler for good customer service! However the positive was that when lunch finally came it was delicious! A nut roast with potatoes, steamed broccoli mash, carrots and squash, topped with a really nice gravy. To be honest though, the time it took for lunch to come would make me think twice about coming again.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 10, 2014

Pros: Vegan Sunday Roast, Good choice of beers & wine, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Very slow service, bad communication between the staff, double check your meal is vegan!

Very nice vegan pub food - Edit

After reading previous reviews of this place, I didn't have very high expectations of their vegan options, but I wanted to give it a try anyway. I was very pleasantly surprised to find a wide range of vegan pub grub on the menu, and when I ordered the vegan nachos was asked if I would like vegan cheese on it, which I hadn't expected. The food itself was delicious and a large portion with very tasty salsa, vegan chilli and guacamole. It's not haute cuisine, but it's excellent vegan pub food!

Pros: Delicious vegan pub grub, Vegan cheese options, Friendly and helpful

decent pub food - Edit

Loads of choice, standard pub fare but all veggie (plenty of vegan options)

Carbohydrate King - Edit

Most of the food is very carbohydrate heavy. Burgers, Falafel, Burritos, chips. No vegetable side dishes available. Which is odd as vegetarians like vegetables. If your looking for something to soak up the beer then this is for you. If your looking for a proper meal Brighton has better on offer.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 10, 2014

Pros: Soaks up the beer.

Cons: No vegetable side dishes., Menu is too carbohydrate heavy.

Pleasantly surprised - Edit

We recently moved to the area, but we did visit the Prince George on 2 occasions prior to our move. Firstly, cack in June 2011. The landlord was very accomodating, and went out of his way for us. Once he discovered we were on our honeymoon, he provided a round of drinks.
Secondly, more recently, we popped in whilst spending a week looking for a flat. We decided to get something to eat, before going to the statoin to go home. We had the Vegan options of the Baked Buritto and I had the Chilli Dog. Both meals more than exceeded our expectations, both in how tasty and fulfilling they were - certainly got our money's worth.
I'm surprised to see some of the poorer reviews on here, but can only judge by my own experience. The staff were lovely and the food was great. I would recommend to many of my friends.

Pros: Great food, Pleasant staff, Nice atmosphere

Cons: It was raining outside, We were going home again, Staff couldn't change previous cons

Popular - and rightly so. - Edit

I visited on Sunday the 15th September. Got there about 8pm.
I was a pub quiz evening so was packed out, which was good to see.
Unfortunately all of the Sunday roasts had run out, but I had a great smoked tofu and peanut Asian noodle salad.
The person behind the bar wasn't sure if any of the real ales were vegan, which was a shame, so I ended up with a bottled cider instead.
There was soya milk for my tea :)
I really liked this pub and I am deeply jealous of everyone who lives in or near Brighton - up here in the Midlands we don't have anything like the range of choice or quality offered in Brighton, and we have to travel to get it.

Pros: Lots of vegan options on menu, Soya milk for tea/coffee, Busy and buzzing atmosphere

Cons: Lots of vegan options sold out, Bar staff not informed about beers on sa, Hard to find somewhere to sit and eat.

Could be so good - Edit

Used to be one of the best pubs in Brighton, but over the years the standard has gotten worse and worse. The last time I popped in the Sunday roast was inedible - I have never eaten anything so salty. Hideous. Such a shame, as it could be such a great place. Have been given glasses with lipstick on, burgers with cheese in, even though I specified vegan - which was returned with a new burger, same (cold) chips. A fair few vegan options, and have tried the burger since the cheese incident, and it is pretty good.

Pros: Fair few vegan options.

Cons: Food is hit and miss.

Pub with microbrews AND a vegetarian menu - wow - Edit

Local craft beer on draught. All vegetarian menu! I had a big bowl of winter vegetable minestrone soup (with kale, white beans) with thyme butter and parmesan. Vegan options available on several items. Very filling with a thick slice of granary bread. Another time I shared the sizzling lentil fajitas with guacamole and salsa. Yum.
Vegetarian pubs don't exist where I come from, so this is special.

Pros: veg'n menu, vegan options to vegetarian items, tasty food

Incredibly tasty food! - Edit

I am surprised to see some poor reviews for this place as we had exceptional service and food.

Both our meals; falafal board and italian bean burger were super tasty and of a good portion size. Best of all however was the vegan ice cream sundae, this was probably one of the best vegan desserts I have had outside of London. The staff were all pleasant and the pub had a nice relaxed atmosphere. Prices are very reasonable also.

I hope we will enjoy it just as much on our return trip later this summer.

Pros: excellent menu, good value, relaxed atmosphere

Good Veg Pub Grub - Edit

Excellent vegetarian pub with a decent menu. Always lots of vegan options available. I've eaten there several times & have no complaints.

Pros: Vegan stuff

A shadow of its former self - Edit

I booked our usual table for grandma's birthday recently, but got a horrible surprise when we turned up.

At 7pm they were already pumping out loud music and it felt like a city centre bar, not the cosy pub we knew and loved.

While we were debating whether to stay, there was a tense atmosphere and we then realised the landlord was threatening to call the police if a drunk didn't leave.

When I booked, they hadn't even bothered to tell me children were no longer welcome after 7, so we wasted an hour and two taxis. We eventually went to Food for Friends and had a great time.

I never thought I'd say this about a veggie pub, but I hope it closes soon! There's still chance for someone else to turn it back into the friendly, family pub it always used to be.

...and what's the deal with the 5-star rating system? I want to give it 0, but the lowest available rating is 2. Grrr!

Updated from previous review on Sunday January 02, 2011

Update, 6 June 11:
I bowed to family pressure and we gave it another go recently (17:30 on Saturday).

Much nicer atmosphere today. The decor is much improved (from a year ago) and the clientele was chilled. Music still upbeat but not too loud for my hearing-impaired mum to cope with.

The standard menu was pretty, erm, standard: burgers, falafel, etc. The list of specials was much more appealing. My thai curry was spot on. The risotto looked sodden and overcooked, but still got the thumbs up for taste.

Great to see my previous experience wasn't representative, but it still struggles to compete with my favourites (Iydea, Loving Hut, Food for Friends, Planet India).

Cons: No children, Music too loud, Aggressive punters

Mugwa75 22 Feb 2013 - I am very disappointed to read of the poor experiences previous customers have had at the Prince George and would like to offer my sincere apologies.
As the new manager of the Prince George from the 17th January 2011 I have made many changes and feel the issues raised in these reviews have been addressed.
We now offer an extensive vegetarian and vegan menu that includes many vegan options which are clearly labelled 'V.O' (Vegan option). Our menu changes every day and all of our dishes are prepared from fresh ingredients on site daily. Last week we were voted in the top 10 most vegetarian friendly pubs in the UK by 'PETA'.
We also offer many vegetarian and vegan, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, with vegetarian wines, vegan and vegetarian beers and ciders all available.
We now also take bookings of any size every day, except on Fridays and Saturdays from 5pm onwards, when we only take bookings for parties of 4 or more people. We are a very family friendly pub with children welcome until 7pm every day, high chairs, colouring pens and paper and play-dough are available.
Our music system has been modified so we can now offer louder and quieter areas of the pub, and we aim to select music that is appropriate for the time of week and ambience our customers require.
We work tirelessly at the Prince George to ensure we are one of the best pubs in Brighton and would love for you to come and give our pub another try.
Many thanks,
Ben Murray
Manager
01273 681055

Return to Brighton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Prince George closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.