CLOSED: Garden to Grill

916-706-3302

2315 K St, Sacramento, California, USA, 95816

Vegan restaurant serving home-style comfort food with ethnic influences. As of Jan 2016 no longer offering breakfast or Sunday brunch. Formerly The Plum Cafe and Bakery, changed name in fall-2014, same menu and staff. Confirmed closed December 2016. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Western, Take-out, Bakery, Catering

First Review by larryabailey

moving location as of 12-12-16 - Edit

I went on 12-13-16 and there was a sign on the door that said as of Dec 12 we are closed and searching for a new location. The sign had a longer explanation, but I didn't have time to read it. Giving 2 stars b/c there is no other option, really my rating is neutral/none as I never tried the food.

Disappointing - Edit

I visited GtG a few weeks ago while in town for a conference. I walked eight blocks from my hotel to pick up dinner to go to eat later in the evening. When I went to have my meal, I opened my container of BBQ Veggie Chicken Salad only to find a few handfuls of lettuce, a few black beans, and some pieces of corn. No chicken. None. I paid $10 for basically lettuce. I called the restaurant and they said essentially 'sorry, next time it's on us.' I can't imagine when I will be back in Sacramento, so I'm out of luck. The cupcake I got was also disappointing; the cake was dry and the icing was greasy. Makes me grateful for the veggie restaurants in Los Angeles (where I live).

Pros: Lots of vegan baked goods

Cons: Messing up order, Not so tasty baked goods

Cold burger and salad wasn't anything special - Edit

We got burger, which was cold, and Kale salad with "chicken" and either on wasn't that special. It was too cold to sit outside so can't say about garden side but inside it wasn't too cozy place.2 points from food plus one from desserts.

Pros: desserts

Cons: Food wasn't that good

Loved this place - Edit

I go to Sacramento pretty frequently for work. I recently discovered Garden to Grill and it's made my visits so much better. I love the food here - it's delicious.

Recent improvements - Edit

I visited this restaurant several times in the past and found it subpar. However, a recent visit under the new management has changed my mind. I ordered the sweet potato and avocado panini and also got a carrot cake cupcake from the bakery. The quality of the food has improved drastically in my opinion and I would recommend a visit- although it isn't five star cuisine it is enjoyable.

could've been better - Edit

It could've been better. I got the chili cheese fries, chicken burger with rice bread(the gf substitute), and the Boston creme cupcake. I had the cupcake first because it was the first thing I was served and it was phenomenal! It's so good and crazy to me that it's gluten free considering most gf deserts like cupcakes are never as fluffy and moist and delicious as it was. Unfortunately, especially since I ate it first, I have to say that was the best thing I had when I ate there. The chili cheese fries were decent, although I feel like it was under-spiced, you couldn't taste the cheese(and there was so much) and there wasn't very much chili and it too was kind of bland, and the chicken burger wasn't that great, very dry(not only the gf bread, but there was only mayo as a sauce and everything else was very dry except the avocado I added for $1.50). I honestly feel as though (besides the cupcake) I could've made the same stuff at home and it would've tasted the same if not better. It's decent since Sacramento doesn't really have a lot of vegan options especially GF ones but I don't think I would eat here again unless I was really hungry like I was today just because I felt the food (not the baked goods) were subpar although I can't say much about the other burgers since they were either out of ingredients for many of them or they couldn't accommodate to gf with the burgers. Even then I might not just because I felt kind of cheated paying $25 for what I had ate. But I will return for those cupcakes they're out of this world!

Pros: a decent amount of GF options

Good treats.. That's it. - Edit

Ordered the quesadilla with "chicken" and the "chicken" strips. The strips ended up being unevenly cooked Gardein chickn strips (which I love, but come on!). Everything was pretty much store bought. At the price, it isn't worth it when I can go to someplace that makes there own vegan food for a better price! Deserts would good though.

Pros: Cupcakes are tasty, Nice service

Cons: Store bought food for high price.

Nothing special, overpriced - Edit

We ordered the nachos and mushroom burger. I found them average, nothing special, way too much "cheese" sauce on the nachos and the burger small with just some average salad on the side. The burger initially tasted mouldy, but maybe I was just imagining things.
I think it's pricey for what you get.
The whole place seems kinda messy and unclean. I queued 15 min for the restroom which was opposite the kitchen and the kitchen really didn't seem too clean. I am sure not all places I ate were top notch hygienic, but here it just happened I got a glimpse of part of the kitchen.
Service was nice, but the people there really seemed tired, so I felt very sorry for them :(.
I would not return, overall I just didn't like the place.

Pros: 100%vegan

Cons: overpriced, nothing special

Amazingly Good Food in Sacramento! - Edit

I was up in Sacramento from L.A. with some high school students participating in the ASPCA Paws for Celebration event at the Capitol, lobbying on several animal welfare bills. Thankfully, this place was available to take my vegan students and myself to for lunch. We had a GREAT lunch! I had the burger, which is made with risotto and is delicious. I also have to be gluten-free and that was no problem as they can make almost anything GF at this place in addition to items already GF. The deserts are something to make a special trip for. I couldn't believe nearly all of the items are both vegan and GF and super good! It was nice to eat outside among the trees. Everyone is nice and the service is fast and efficient. You will have a great meal here.

Pros: Amazingly good food, Lots of variety, Friendly service

Amazing Vegan Baked Goods! - Edit

Garden to Grill has the best vegan treats I have ever had. When I went, they had a wide variety of cup cakes (mint, cherry, coconut, cream filled), huge cookies, brownies, blondies, and cinnamon rolls.

If you have a sweet tooth, I highly recommend checking them out.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Nice vibe

Am I Being Punked? - Edit

Award Winning California Burger my ASS! The burger was tasteless, overcooked and overrated. I can't believe I forked over $12 for this embarrassing attempt at vegan cuisine. Wow...and the burger was definitely not housemate. It was a microwavable mess. Never will I return.

Pros: The location was awesome and building very charmin

Cons: expensive garbage, poor quality, had non-vegan cin

SacVeggieGal 02 Apr 2016 - Hey there, Amanda here. I am the supervisor at Garden to Grill, and I am really sorry to hear you were not happy with your meal. We would have gladly replaced or refunded you on the spot for your dissatisfaction with it. I can assure you we do not have a microwave anywhere on the premises and we do make our patties everyday in house.. which is a task but is well worth it!! If you want to stop on by I can give you a gift card for another try or give me a call at the cafe to discuss this further. 916 706 3302.

nachos and soyrizo tacos - Edit

They have a very nice tap selection to go along with their food. Their nachos were a potato based cheese which was very good and a change from all the nut cheese you usually get

all vegan, all great - Edit

Great vegan restaurant.

Fresh, delicious, and 100% vegan - Edit

Looked up vegan restaurants in Sacramento on my way into town and found this place. The chef made me a great sandwich of sweet potatoes, avocado, tomato, and grilled onions on ciabatta bread... it was delicious. Bread and vegetables were all very fresh and well prepared. Also took a mint chocolate brownie to go and it never made it back to the hotel with me... it was amazing (and all of their baked goods are made without refined sugars). Didn't drink anything but they had freshly made kombucha on tap and also some wines and beers. Will definitely return to this place next time I'm here.

Pros: 100% vegan, Delicious & unusual dishes and desserts, Friendly staff

Cons: Dining room is a little tired looking

The food is great! - Edit

I am obsessed with their sweet potato panini. The service here could be a lot better, but the food is great! I also enjoy their brunch buffet on Sunday's, but by far my favorite thing is the panini

Pros: Great food, Location is great, Brunch buffet is great

Cons: Service can be subpar, Somewhat pricey, Desserts are sometimes stale

One of my favorite neighborhood restaurants - Edit

Garden to Grill, formerly The Plum Café, is my go-to restaurant when I want to pick up something quick and delicious. I have been coming here for over a year at least twice a month and really appreciate having a vegan option close to home. They recently went through a bit of a transition in ownership which has been noticeable in the restaurant. The staff is really nice and accommodating, but have seemed a little rushed when I've visited lately. However, the quality of the food has been consistent and the new owners did a fabulous job of upgrading the front of house register area. I recommend the Award-Winning California Risotto Burger, Sweet Potato Avocado Panini, Tempeh Reuben, Garden Tuna Salad, Nachos, and anything from their bakery case which is sourced from the local Sun Flour Baking Company.

Pros: Great Vegan Fare, Charming building and location

Cons: A little disorganized during transition

Excellent thoughtfully chosen Vegan fare - Edit

the curry chicken bowl and veggie burger were great, the menu gave a huge selection including several fresh desserts and smoothies. The topper was the wonderful service. Sacramento is lucky to have them.

All Vegan Eatery - Edit

The food was great and loved the outdoor seating but the staff could be a little more inviting. The person who took my order did not smile once and she forgot my dessert twice.

Pros: Good food, Outdoor seating , Casual

Cons: Unhappy staff

Return to Sacramento Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Garden to Grill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.