Garden to Grill

Contact 916-706-3302

2315 K St, Sacramento, California, USA, 95816

Vegan restaurant serving home-style comfort food with ethnic influences. As of Jan 2016 no longer offering breakfast or Sunday brunch. Formerly The Plum Cafe and Bakery, changed name in fall-2014, same menu and staff. Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 10:00am-8:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Western, Take-out, Bakery, Catering

First Review by larryabailey

Recent improvements - Edit

I visited this restaurant several times in the past and found it subpar. However, a recent visit under the new management has changed my mind. I ordered the sweet potato and avocado panini and also got a carrot cake cupcake from the bakery. The quality of the food has improved drastically in my opinion and I would recommend a visit- although it isn't five star cuisine it is enjoyable.

could've been better - Edit

It could've been better. I got the chili cheese fries, chicken burger with rice bread(the gf substitute), and the Boston creme cupcake. I had the cupcake first because it was the first thing I was served and it was phenomenal! It's so good and crazy to me that it's gluten free considering most gf deserts like cupcakes are never as fluffy and moist and delicious as it was. Unfortunately, especially since I ate it first, I have to say that was the best thing I had when I ate there. The chili cheese fries were decent, although I feel like it was under-spiced, you couldn't taste the cheese(and there was so much) and there wasn't very much chili and it too was kind of bland, and the chicken burger wasn't that great, very dry(not only the gf bread, but there was only mayo as a sauce and everything else was very dry except the avocado I added for $1.50). I honestly feel as though (besides the cupcake) I could've made the same stuff at home and it would've tasted the same if not better. It's decent since Sacramento doesn't really have a lot of vegan options especially GF ones but I don't think I would eat here again unless I was really hungry like I was today just because I felt the food (not the baked goods) were subpar although I can't say much about the other burgers since they were either out of ingredients for many of them or they couldn't accommodate to gf with the burgers. Even then I might not just because I felt kind of cheated paying $25 for what I had ate. But I will return for those cupcakes they're out of this world!

Pros: a decent amount of GF options

Good treats.. That's it. - Edit

Ordered the quesadilla with "chicken" and the "chicken" strips. The strips ended up being unevenly cooked Gardein chickn strips (which I love, but come on!). Everything was pretty much store bought. At the price, it isn't worth it when I can go to someplace that makes there own vegan food for a better price! Deserts would good though.

Pros: Cupcakes are tasty, Nice service

Cons: Store bought food for high price.

Nothing special, overpriced - Edit

We ordered the nachos and mushroom burger. I found them average, nothing special, way too much "cheese" sauce on the nachos and the burger small with just some average salad on the side. The burger initially tasted mouldy, but maybe I was just imagining things.
I think it's pricey for what you get.
The whole place seems kinda messy and unclean. I queued 15 min for the restroom which was opposite the kitchen and the kitchen really didn't seem too clean. I am sure not all places I ate were top notch hygienic, but here it just happened I got a glimpse of part of the kitchen.
Service was nice, but the people there really seemed tired, so I felt very sorry for them :(.
I would not return, overall I just didn't like the place.

Pros: 100%vegan

Cons: overpriced, nothing special

Amazingly Good Food in Sacramento! - Edit

I was up in Sacramento from L.A. with some high school students participating in the ASPCA Paws for Celebration event at the Capitol, lobbying on several animal welfare bills. Thankfully, this place was available to take my vegan students and myself to for lunch. We had a GREAT lunch! I had the burger, which is made with risotto and is delicious. I also have to be gluten-free and that was no problem as they can make almost anything GF at this place in addition to items already GF. The deserts are something to make a special trip for. I couldn't believe nearly all of the items are both vegan and GF and super good! It was nice to eat outside among the trees. Everyone is nice and the service is fast and efficient. You will have a great meal here.

Pros: Amazingly good food, Lots of variety, Friendly service

Amazing Vegan Baked Goods! - Edit

Garden to Grill has the best vegan treats I have ever had. When I went, they had a wide variety of cup cakes (mint, cherry, coconut, cream filled), huge cookies, brownies, blondies, and cinnamon rolls.

If you have a sweet tooth, I highly recommend checking them out.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Nice vibe

Am I Being Punked? - Edit

Award Winning California Burger my ASS! The burger was tasteless, overcooked and overrated. I can't believe I forked over $12 for this embarrassing attempt at vegan cuisine. Wow...and the burger was definitely not housemate. It was a microwavable mess. Never will I return.

Pros: The location was awesome and building very charmin

Cons: expensive garbage, poor quality, had non-vegan cin

SacVeggieGal Hey there, Amanda here. I am the supervisor at Garden to Grill, and I am really sorry to hear you were not happy with your meal. We would have gladly replaced or refunded you on the spot for your dissatisfaction with it. I can assure you we do not have a microwave anywhere on the premises and we do make our patties everyday in house.. which is a task but is well worth it!! If you want to stop on by I can give you a gift card for another try or give me a call at the cafe to discuss this further. 916 706 3302.

Fresh, delicious, and 100% vegan - Edit

Looked up vegan restaurants in Sacramento on my way into town and found this place. The chef made me a great sandwich of sweet potatoes, avocado, tomato, and grilled onions on ciabatta bread... it was delicious. Bread and vegetables were all very fresh and well prepared. Also took a mint chocolate brownie to go and it never made it back to the hotel with me... it was amazing (and all of their baked goods are made without refined sugars). Didn't drink anything but they had freshly made kombucha on tap and also some wines and beers. Will definitely return to this place next time I'm here.

Pros: 100% vegan, Delicious & unusual dishes and desserts, Friendly staff

Cons: Dining room is a little tired looking

The food is great! - Edit

I am obsessed with their sweet potato panini. The service here could be a lot better, but the food is great! I also enjoy their brunch buffet on Sunday's, but by far my favorite thing is the panini

Pros: Great food, Location is great, Brunch buffet is great

Cons: Service can be subpar, Somewhat pricey, Desserts are sometimes stale

One of my favorite neighborhood restaurants - Edit

Garden to Grill, formerly The Plum Café, is my go-to restaurant when I want to pick up something quick and delicious. I have been coming here for over a year at least twice a month and really appreciate having a vegan option close to home. They recently went through a bit of a transition in ownership which has been noticeable in the restaurant. The staff is really nice and accommodating, but have seemed a little rushed when I've visited lately. However, the quality of the food has been consistent and the new owners did a fabulous job of upgrading the front of house register area. I recommend the Award-Winning California Risotto Burger, Sweet Potato Avocado Panini, Tempeh Reuben, Garden Tuna Salad, Nachos, and anything from their bakery case which is sourced from the local Sun Flour Baking Company.

Pros: Great Vegan Fare, Charming building and location

Cons: A little disorganized during transition

Excellent thoughtfully chosen Vegan fare - Edit

the curry chicken bowl and veggie burger were great, the menu gave a huge selection including several fresh desserts and smoothies. The topper was the wonderful service. Sacramento is lucky to have them.

All Vegan Eatery - Edit

The food was great and loved the outdoor seating but the staff could be a little more inviting. The person who took my order did not smile once and she forgot my dessert twice.

Pros: Good food, Outdoor seating , Casual

Cons: Unhappy staff

Garden To Grill - Edit

It's great that Sacramento has an all vegan restaurant. I just wish this place was either better or cheaper to reflect quality/service/ambience. It's super casual order at the counter with stressed out/unhappy employees that charges way too much for food you could easily make at home much cheaper. But it's a convenience thing, I understand. They have good (overpriced) brownies.

Pros: Brownies, Convenient

Cons: Overpriced , Bad Atmosphere

Very good... it has potential for more - Edit

The restaurant recently changed its name to Garden Grill. The food is good but spicy to my buds. The panini with baked sweet potato was delicious (and not spicy at all). But the French fries too much condiment and spicy ones. The quesadillas had the pics de gallo on the side. The place looks better from the outside than from the inside, but it's worth trying it out. Lots of vegan bakery... Yummy!

Pros: Tasty, All vegan, Simple

Cons: Beware of spicyness

I Could Eat Here Everyday - Edit

I love the Plum. The variety is great! The baked goods are really good and really vegan. Their location is excellent, with outdoor front dining and a huge funky "backyard" dining area also. They are dog friendly! My Corgi loves it there. If you need catering or a cake for a special occasion, this is your vegan go-to place in Sacramento. I'd give it 6 stars if that were available.

Pros: The Food, The Baked Goodies, Dog Friendly

Cons: None I Could Find

Not what was expected - Edit

The staff was nice, the hash brown and tofu scramble for breakfast was really good. We ordered a quesadilla while we were waiting for our to go order, I don't care for burnt and blackened vegetables anyway, but especially when it looks like you cleaned off the loose char on the griddle with them... The food came out timely enough although there weren't many people there.

Ruuuuuuuuuude! - Edit

I kind of ignored some of the reviews on here because the menu looked so good. But the staff here totally acted like it was a HUGE inconvenience that I was there! The dude at the counter was trying to do a million things at once, it was just a mess. The food was decent, but I don't know if it was worth it. I won't return.

Pros: Decent food

Cons: Super rude staff, Unfriendly ordering/serving system

Brunch buffet the bomb! - Edit

Had Sunday brunch buffet - was flavorful! We adored the enchilada casserole & had to have seconds! The tofu scramble was the best I've had! I could not resist the mint brownie & was not disappointed. Coffee was great.

Pros: Mint brownie, Great atmosphere, Awesome food

just ok - Edit

I've eaten at this restaurant many times over the years when I visit friends in the area. My visit a couple of weeks ago will be my last.

Their food is just ok, nothing special. Their staff was uninterested, frazzled and pretty rude.

There are better options in the area.

Cons: Food mediocre, Rude Staff, Kind of pricey

Meh. - Edit

Like a previous commenter said, I would lovelovelove to rate this place higher because the idea of all-vegan restaurants in midtown makes me happy!

However, the reality for me and The Plum is that I guess I am just not fancy enough for them. Haha! No, really though, my husband and I came here once. We were inspired to visit the restaurant by the DELICIOUS muffins from The Plum that are sold at the Co-op (the chocolate banana is my favorite).

We get here, look at the menu, and realize that eating here regularly would require plasma donations and the possibility of taking some photography modeling jobs from the craigslist gigs section, if y'know what I mean. Okay, not as serious as that, but I clearly remember everything being expensive. If I wanted to take my husband out for a full meal (appetizers, entrees, a coffee/kombucha, and maybe a muffin on the way out the door) I would have to have a garage sale first. Okay! I'm done being silly!

We ended up ordering chili cheese fries to share, after a bit they come to the table not garnished with but -cloaked- in diced red onions. Red onions give me horrid migraines and the menu didn't mention them so I hadn't known to request they weren't included so I go up and ask for a redo, they were polite and accommodating about it. The replacement dish wasn't anything to squeal about though. Sure, I got the least refined thing on the menu (chili cheese fries?? whatever it was a quick, lunch-y thing) but the food should still taste good! Vegan chili can be great or blah. The chili here was mostly beans, not very notably seasoned, and lacked a bit of discernible vegetable ingredients. I left feeling like I had spent $11 on a can or two of beans on a potato.

I bought a muffin on the way out the door from their bakery case. While the muffins baked here that I buy at the Co-Op are wrapped in little, plastic bags to retain their delicious moisture, the muffins at The Plum do not get little, moisture-retaining coats. My muffin was super dry. Meh.

Great Food! - Edit

They have amazing award winning sweet potato panini with vegan cheese(non soy). so yum. they have a great variety of options but I don't really like that most foods there have/use soy to cook. They also need Sierra Nevada beer and need to get rid of the GMO hunt's ketchup. Stick with ANNIE'S

Pros: Tastes Delicious, Bake their own bread, Annie's Ketchup

Cons: they use too much soy, Hunt's GMO ketchup, No Sierra Nevada Beer

Get the Reuben - Edit

I am always looking for a tasty vegan Reuben and wanted to give this vegan café a try on my visit to Sacramento. It was delish! The sandwich was very flavorful and Reubenesque and was served with a delicious salad. I didn't think I was going to be able to finish it all off, but it was so good that I managed to devour every last bite. I liked the kombucha bar and the staff will give samples so you can choose your favorite flavor. Lots of baked goods available. I will go back for another Reuben sandwich the next time I'm in town.

Pros: all vegan menu, patio dining , easy parking

Decent, but not amazing - Edit

I really wish I could review this place higher, as I LOVE having a 100% vegan place in midtown/downtown. I think I might have given it four stars a year or two ago, but with the more limited menu, slightly higher prices, and slightly less interesting food, I just can't justify more than three stars.

We had the chili burger ($14, with fries) and Midtown Club ($9.50, with green salad.) Both were... fine. The chili is fairly bland, the housemade risotto sunflower patty on the chili burger just okay. On the Midtown Club, the tempeh bacon is sweet, but tasty. Everything else? Just kind of meh. When the bill comes to $25 before tip and we're only drinking water, it's spendy for what you get.

The people are always friendly, they have a great range of draft and bottled beers for such a small place, and it's super cute inside, with nice seating on the front and back patios.

I'll go back, and will try the bottomless Sunday brunch again, and update this review if it seems worthwhile. In the meantime, it'll remain on the rotation of intown Sacramento vegan options, including Andy Nyugen's, and Anna's, but I won't go out of my way to go to it (except to try the brunch again.)

Pros: 100% vegan, great location, fun selections

Cons: not super tasty food, spendy for what you get

Cute and Homey with yummy food. - Edit

Our family ate here when we spent one night in Sacramento recently. Because it was recommended in other reviews we had the sweet potato & avocado panini, which was delicious. Deserts were very good as well. We ate on the back patio which was very pleasant on a warm evening. Highly recommended for lunch or a casual dinner.

Pros: Good Food, Lots of dessert options

Delicious food! - Edit

Love this cozy café in Sacramento! Every time I'm in town I come to eat here. You can't go wrong with the sweet potato avocado Panini and the desserts are rich. An Omni I took here liked the reuben which says something! Highly recommend!

A Wonderful Vegan Restaurant in the City - Edit

We were lucky to stumble upon this treasure in town especially after we had enough of the faux meat Chinese vegan places. The staff here are wonderful and ready to serve, the food comes to the table and for the most part the dishes were delicious. There were a couple which lacked taste (Kelp noodles, Mac n Cheese). The California Burger is divine, the Spinach Artichoke dip is out of this world. We loved the place so much that we went three nights in a row. The desserts are very good as well.

Pros: Great staff, Price was reasonable, Ambience

Cons: Portions are small

Plum Cafe is a winner! - Edit

I have a new 'waypoint' on my travels in NorCal. The Plum Cafe is a clean, cheerful restaurant serving carefully crafted, wholesome food. I had the green smoothie with kale, spiraling and banana, with a tasty hummus plate. Then a yummy kelp noodle with pesto, accompanied by a great small salad. OD on food that's full of energy, prepared by a friendly staff- :)

Pros: fresh food, clean, big portions

Cons: can't think of any...

Definately worth a try - Edit

I've eaten at Plum Cafe at least a dozen times, so obviously, I like the food. They offer a good variety of items and nice sized portions. Service can be quick or painfully slow, but doesn't seem to have much to do with the number of customers. Other than that mystery, the staff has always been welcoming and friendly. This is an 'order at the counter and they bring it to your table' place. Plum has both indoor and outdoor seating. There's not a stitch of carpeting inside, and other than a picture or two, the walls are barren, so the noise level can be overbearing if the place is full. The large back patio is a good option for a more peaceful meal. Plum has one very large restroom, which is usually clean and always well stocked. However,
Plum needs a good sized helping of TLC. A bit of paint and a lot of good old fashioned elbow grease could go a long ways in giving the restaurant a cute, little cottage look. Parking can be a challenge, but the side streets and alley are options to the street in front. If you like sweets, treat yourself to one of the several desserts in the case. Plum definitely does a fine job with sweets.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, tasty desserts

Cons: noisy inside, a bit pricey

Local food - Edit

It's great to have this place in Sacramento. The food is generally good, but I think they could improve balancing tadte and texture in their dishes. For example the desserts are dry and need a more moist quality. The salads tend to be too bland.

Pros: Local, Friendly staff

Cons: poor balance of flavor and textures

one of the best in sac! - Edit

I love this little place, prices are decent, setting is a good size, with a cute outside area in the front and back, occasionally they are out of things, especially certain drinks, and most of the stuff in the dessert case is heavy and dry, but the sunday brunch is delish! as is every other dish ive had there! very good and unique dishes, friendly staff, and i will definitely miss this place when i move!

I love them so much (they catered my wedding) - Edit

I love the decor of Sugar Plum, with the cozy inside dining or you can sit in the back yor front yard among the beautiful flowers.

Their menu has recently shrunken to a limited number of sandwiches, salads, and sides. (Except on weekends, there's much more). But this is still enough for me and I always have a hard time choosing! I recommend the award winning tuna melt or the midtown bacon burger (or even the sweet potato/avo panini!)

The pastries are excellent. They always have raw, GF and vegan pastries.

I had them cater my wedding (food/cake) and they did a fantastic job!

Pros: ALL vegan, pastries!!, decor/ambience

Wonderful burger! Heavenly cupcake! - Edit

Enjoyed the Award Winning Midtown Burger w/ added avocado. This is extra special with the best tempeh bacon I've ever had! Also notable are the lemon lavender cupcakes - delicious and PRETTY! Great service and in a really neat area of Sacramento.

Pros: Awesome burger!, Sweets and treats, Neat neighborhood

hands down the worst! - Edit

I have tried and tried to like sugar plum but they ALWAYS mess up my order or the food is COLD and once I even found a DEAD FLY in my salad and the counter person joked that it was "extra protein." The last time I tried to eat there I ordered the Reuben, turns out the Sauerkraut they use is from SAFEWAY and it's not organic. I was disgusted and somewhat shocked because the staff always tries to claim how local and organic they are, but really they shop @ Trader Joe's and Safeway. it's sad because they once had potential. PLUS it's not fair to give them 2 cows when they deserve 1!!!!!!

Cons: worst customer service ever, food is served cold and burnt, staff is totally clueless

Love this place - Edit

This restaurant has very good food, way better than I expected from the reviews. My friend had a sandwich with sweet potato that I tasted & thought was very good. I love eggplant so I ordered the sandwich with eggplant, vegan bacon, tapenade, & vegan cheese. It was so incredibly good. Probably in my top two of memorable sandwiches. Just fabulous. The service was great. the food was healthy, it was a good value. the portions were large. I love the place!!! I would have definitely given it all the stars possible.

Pros: delicious food, creative food, healthy food

Cons: no ac in restaurant I don't think

Unfathomably bad service - Edit

I've only been here a handful of times. I've had a couple of good meals, but I'm afraid I won't be going again, and this is completely due to staff indiscretion. Several months back (May or June) I went in and ordered a tempeh sandwich to go. The kitchen was closing soon, but they took my order. After it arrived, I went on my way. At my destination I began eating and was puzzled by a strange crunch. Looking in my sandwich, I found that the tempeh was not just burnt; it was literally charcoal. I was amazed that any staff member could have allowed this to be served to a customer. I wasn't exactly raring to go back after that, but I decided to give Sugar Plum another try on my birthday because they're the closest place I can buy a fresh cake or pie that's both vegan and gluten-free (my partner has a wheat sensitivity). We ordered a slice of what was labeled "gluten-free pumpkin pie" and shared it. It was very tasty, so we decided to order a whole pie for my b-day. Hours later, when we went to slice the pie, we noticed that the crust was very different. We thought they must have given us a wheat pie by mistake! So the next day my partner went in to ask for a replacement. The woman at the counter got defensive. She told us that what we had was indeed the gluten-free pumpkin pie. She then went on to explain that what we had eaten the previous day was a slice of magnolia pie on a shortbread wheat crust and that it must have been labeled incorrectly. I had had no suspicion that the crust from the previous day wasn't gluten-free because the shortbread recipe had made it crumbly the way a lot of wheat-free crusts are. (And it started to click. "No wonder that slice was more of a deep yellow than a pumpkin color." "No wonder my partner got all spaced out and had had trouble focusing later that day. She ate wheat!") And possibly even worse than the error itself was the fact that the woman at the counter didn't seem to care one iota about the fact that we had been erroneously served an allergen. She seemed primarily concerned with specifying that it wasn't her fault. All I can say is shame on her, and I hope that no one with allergies more severe was served the wrong pie, because there was only one slice of it left at the time we were there. Sugar Plum's website claims that they are "extremely friendly and sensitive to those with allergies," but this is tragically untrue.

Cons: Not safe for those with allergies, Apathetic staff

Absolutely charming garden lunch - Edit

This little old house has some amazing vegan treats! I wish we had more time to come back and try more things on the menu! Despite the ridiculous name, the animal liberation fries were delicious (wedge cut fries covered in Daiya cheese and thousand island dressing). I had a wonderful salad covered in walnut pesto and my fiance had a vegan BLT. The shakes and bakery desserts were awesome and our patio seating area was simply dreamy. Highly recommended!

Pros: Delicious, Large portions, Beautiful surroundings

Cons: Warm inside, no a/c, A little pricey

Mixed feelings - Edit

I've written many reviews for Sugar Plum in the past few years- some expressing how great Sugar Plum is and others expressing much disappointment in their food and service. I will just sum it up as this: Sugar Plum Vegan is VERY inconsistent. My husband and I have dined at Sugar Plum and found the service and food to be close to the best we've ever had. However, other days we have ordered the same dishes (and go around the same time) and find the service to be poor and the dish to be completely different and just plain bad. Since the food is bad about 50% of the time we go there, we have stopped going. While we love it when Sugar Plum gets it right, we don't want to risk paying for a dish that tastes half as good as the time before. I don't know if different cooks/managers cook the food differently or manage the staff differently, but I do wish Sugar Plum would train everyone so their service and food remains consistently good.

Delicious! - Edit

My family and I really enjoy coming here. We like that the vibe is casual (I don't have to worry about frowns from others about my kids), the raw maca macaroons were amazing, so was the gluten-free sweet potato pie, and the bottomless brunch was fun and delicious! I've heard that they are making healthier options on the menu too which I am looking forward to. We love having this cafe in town!

Pros: delicious, all vegan, patio seating

Cons: prices

Yummy - Edit

I went to the all-you-can eat brunch with two non vegetarians and we all loved it. My picky daughter can't have sugar, so they made her a custom fruit smoothie. We arrived early and were able to have drinks in advance of the buffet.

Pros: excellent food, helpful staff

My favorite restaurant! - Edit

In spite of a rocky start when they first opened (the Mother's Day brunch was so-so), most everything I've tried here since has been fabulous. I eat here every chance I get. LOVE the spicy greens in the tacos and quesadilla. Love the sweet potato panini and the BLT. A great place to take non-vegans to try the fare. The baked goods are to die for, they sell them at the Davis Food Coop and I am addicted. My only complaint is that the kitchen is always smoky so they leave the front door open in the winter. BRRR!

Pros: delicious, healthy

Cons: close early Tuesdays, smoky kitchen

Sugar Plum, Vegan HEAVEN! - Edit

Sugar Plum is seriously amazing. i had the Bottomless Brunch, and it was FANTABULOUS! Tofu Frittata, Biscuits n' Gravy, Choc Chip Banana pancakes, cinnamon rolls, salad, house potatoes, and tempeh 'bacon', all vegan, and all fantastic! it's a really cool place, small, but SO cute! both vegans and non vegans will most certainly fall in love with it. and, as every veg knows, it's bliss to be able to just order whatever you want on the menu, and not have to make a bunch of modifications. the desserts are unbelievable too, sweet goodies as far as the eye can see. plus, there's the vegan store above it, and that's great too. and the staff is really nice and accommodating. if you're in Sacramento, you should totally go there, cause if you don't, you will be missing OUT!

Pros: cute place, GREAT food, friendly staff

Very nice food - Edit

Five of us went yesterday to eat at this cafe. We ordered three different things and all tried each. The tuna melt was wonderful and came with a beautiful salad. The lentil loaf was a bit of a scare at first because the first bite was quite burned, but it became quite delicious after that part was gone. It came with mashed potatoes and gravy that were out-of-this world. The glazed carrots that also came with it were okay. They left the tops on an the burned twigs were a bit in the way on the plate and the outside of the carrot was a bit dry, but inside was good. The bacon cheeseburger was wonderful. The potatoes that came with it would have been just as wonderful if they had been less oily and didn't have so much salt. Overall, we loved the meal and were happy with everything we ordered.

We ended the meal by trying a peanut butter cookie. It was two large cookies with chocolate chips and attached by a "cream" filling. They dipped it in chocolate, but only enough for one bite. The filling was just too sweet and didn't enhance the taste of the cookies. One cookie alone would have been better. The cinnamon roll was okay, but we've had better.

It's a very small place with two tiny roomw with just a few tables and one couch with a coffee table. It becomes quite crowded very quickly, so just be aware of that. The menus eluded us at first. They are in a folder tacked to the post you walk around when you enter the door. And don't get your hopes up on your meal until you ask what they are out of because the had run out of our first two choices.

We had gone anticipating trying the nachos but they weren't being served the day we were there. She made it sound like they don't make them very often when we asked. The menu changes, but she said the sandwiches stay pretty much the same.

We decided the perfect meal would be the bacon cheeseburger with the mashed potatoes. However, you can't go wrong with the tuna melt.

We look forward to going back and we all highly recommend this cafe. Also, when there, don't forget to go upstairs to the vegan store. They are not the same owners, but are good friends. Great to have a vegan cafe and a vegan store so close together.

Pros: 100% vegan, great selection of tasty foods

Cons: tiny and can become very crowded, desserts aren't worth the calories, potatoes too oily and salty

Great food, quick service - Edit

Food came out fast, and was very satisfying, but obviously, sweets are their forte. The vegan cookies were just divine. The atmosphere is a little hippy-dippy for my taste, but still pleasant and clean.

Pros: Great food., Fantastic selection., Fast service.

Cons: Small seating area

Contributions +33

First visit - Sugar Plum Cafe - Edit

Delicious food although a very long wait time. Cashier said 15 minutes and 50 minutes later my order arrived. I don't know whether it was an unusual day, however my first impression was the guy at the counter was somewhat unfriendly (or stressed?) - felt like I was inconveniencing him with my order.

The restaurant has a lovely cafe feel to it/downtown decor, with various seating areas including a welcoming outdoor area.

I had the vegan bacon burger with potato wedges. It was incredibly delicious though a little too oily.

I would eat here and definitely recommend this venue, however do make accommodations for the wait. Perhaps go shopping at nearby businesses or read a novel in the patio while your food is being prepared.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan and GF options, Outdoor seating

Cons: unusually long wait, Somewhat pricey, Little too oily

Contributions +49

Great vegan cafe - Edit

Love this place! I have had the sweet potato panini, spinach / artichoke dip, and bangers & mash (sausage & mashed potatoes) and they were all FABULOUS. Even my non-vege friends love this place.
However, they are on a cash-only basis - no debit cards! There is an ATM about a block away.

Pros: Great Food, Unique Food, Friendly Service

Cons: Only takes cash

Yummy! - Edit

My husband and I just had the pleasure of trying the food at this restaurant. We loved the food and the menu was very creative and varied. So many things I wanted to try. We got the cheese nachos and spinach artichoke wrap. The cheese on the nachos was amazing! For dessert we ordered an apple cinnamon cupcake and peanut butter Cookie dipped in chocolate with creme filling. Both were scrumptious! The Blueberry lemonade was refreshing. We will be coming back again for sure.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Varied menu , Tasty vegan desserts

Great Sandwiches & Burgers! - Edit

I've eaten at Sugar Plum 4 or 5 times so far. They have killer portobella mushroom burgers! The sandwich with tempeh bacon is really good too! The nachos are huge and they use Daiya cheese- so they are very melty! The menu seems to change slightly every time I go in, with some items (like nachos) available all the time. It's best not to have your tastebuds set for a specific item though it case it's not on the menu that day. Given it's a bakery, I would have expected some spectacular desserts- it's been hit or miss. Most of the desserts I've had (I usually get 2-3 for home and sharing) have been good, but not great. The gluten free brownies were very disappointing- hopefully it was just a bad batch that day- tasted like coffee grounds! I make my own vegan treats, so I think I have high expectations. If you don't bake & are vegan, then the desserts would be a real treat! The lunch entrees more than make-up it in my book though!

Pros: wonderful atmosphere, charm, nice portions

Cons: desserts are hit or miss, may take a bit for your order

Amazing food and wonderful atmosphere! - Edit

This place was such a great place to visit! We were passing through and thought we'd stop by and try the new vegan bakery in Sac and we are SO glad we did!

We went on a Sunday and my fiance got the "bottomless brunch" which he raved about while he was eating it and for the remaining part of the day! He loved it! There was so much variety to it and everything on the plate (or plates in his case) was delicious!

I had the Sweet Potato and Avocado Panini and it was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had! It was simple but so great and tasty! The salad on the side was great, too.

The people working there were very attentive and nice and the atmosphere was clean and cozy. I especially loved the multiple outdoor spaces.

It was great to see how many people were actually there when we went, because I definitely don't want this place to go away any time soon!

Pros: Reasonable prices, Delicious food, Nice atmosphere

Worth a special trip - Edit

I drove up from Calaveras County, about an hour away, to try Sugar Plum on 4th of July weekend.
Sugar Plum is located in a beautiful, tree-lined neighborhood that is mixed commercial and residential area in one of Sac best Midtown locations. Easy parking when I went.
4-4.5 stars
Nice outdoor patio faces the street and there are bike racks in front.
The tempeh reuben was excellent. Liked all the ingredients from the tempeh to the rye bread with caraway seeds, red sauerkraut and pickles.
Good organice fair trade. Blueberry lemonade was allso good.
Ordered kale massage salad, a coconut macaroon and vanilla cupcake to take home. All were good.
Lots more to try the next time I go.

Pros: in a beautiful location, some very good dishes, nice patio & indoor seating

Cons: too much sugar in desserts & cold bevera

Cool place despite bad experiences - Edit

I am hesitant to write a review of Sugar Plum because I like the place despite my first visits there not going very well. I had lunch there and tried the Tempeh Reuben even though I don't generally care for tempeh. I've had some awesome vegan reubens though so I tried it. The sandwich was good but I need to stop ordering things with tempeh because the flavor bothers me. I sat with some locals and everything they were eating looked delicious so I'm writing off my reuben experience as bad food choice on my part. I got a vegan cinnamon roll to go that was fantastic.

A couple days later I was back in Sacramento and invited a business associate from a nearby town to meet me there at 9:30 for breakfast. Happycow says they open at 8am on Fridays, the sign on their door says 9 AM, but when I arrived for breakfast at 9:30 they said they didn't open until 10. When I mentioned the sign on the door the girl said that it was wrong and they had only been open for a few months and changed their hours often. So beware of their hours and maybe call first if you have a long drive. I got stuck scrambling to find a place to meet on the fly, but luckily discovered a crepe place down the street with fantastic vegetarian crepes.

Despite my first experiences not going well, I am still going to rate the place high because the people are nice, the location is cool, and I saw lots of people eating delicious vegan food. I will try again on my next visit.

Pros: Cool old house, Great variety for a vegan place, Awesome front porch

Cons: What I ordered, Disorganization, Hours

hmmm... - Edit

If they ever do another holiday brunch, they need to practice a bit first. It was amateurish, and they were still allowing people to pay after most of the food ran out. It was good food, but the whole thing was poorly done, and not nearly enough seating for a holiday brunch. I'll give it another shot, but not on a holiday.

Best thing to happen to Sacramento in years. - Edit

This place is amazing! The food is wonderful. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is great and the patio is a comfortable place to sit and have a relaxing meal. I had the baked ziti, which was better than any I'd had before I went vegan. It wasn't just good for vegan food, it was really tasty, and I would recommend it to anyone, no matter what your dietary preference. I can't wait to go back and try more of their dishes.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Delicious!!! - Edit

I'm in town from So Cal for the PTA Convention and found this great little "hole in the wall" restaurant. The menu apparently changes daily (seasonally) but today I had the Sweet Potato and Avocado Panini with Daiya cheese, tomatoes, roasted red onions and poppy see aioli. It was served with a fresh greens salad. Absolutely wonderful. The lemonade was being freshly squeezed as I ordered it and with the fresh strawberries....so refreshing. The raw agave coconut macaroons...heaven!

Thanks Happy Cow!

Pros: Vegan, Vegan, Vegan

Visions of Sugar Plum! - Edit

Only in town for one day this trip and had the pleasure of locating Sugar Plum via Happy Cow! Thank you!
What a treat it was. Beautiful historic neighborhood with lovely ambience. The menu was imaginative and delicious! Our sandwiches were wonderful and the desserts looked very inviting. We will definitely return again!

Super yummie!!! - Edit

I travel a bunch for work and am in Sacramento at the moment. Luckily I have a rental car and got to take a trip to the "sugar plum vegan cafe". It was a beautiful day outside and they do have outdoor seating. There is a very tempting dessert fridge that has so many yummie baked goods. I opted for the oatmeal rasion sandwich that had some kind of cinnamon cream inside of it..mmmm. They have inside seating and I eventually moved inside after the mosquitos started eating me alive. They have a house iced tea that was part hibiscus and part something else that was delish. I ordered something called the "chicken buffalo sandwich" and it was heaven. It was some cibatta bread with some kind of un-chicken that was marinated in a typical buffalo sauce. The sandwich also had cellery on it and some kind of vegan cheese that was similar to blue cheese. It came with a side salad that was only lightly covered with a dressing that I can't put my finger on but it was good. Mixed baby greens and some red bell peppers were in it also. My only complaint was that I think they forgot about my sandwich as I was waiting over 30 minutes for my food when everyone else was being serverd, but they made it up to me by giving me a mock hostes cupcake and all was right with the world. =) I saved that for today and can't wait to eat it. I would deffinately recommend and may even go back tonight while I'm still in town. Thanks!

UPDATE: I went back for breakfast and had an amazing cinnamon roll and delish coffee! Thank you.

Pros: delish!!, friendly staff

Cons: took a while to get food, need more breakfast options

Order the Smoked Tempeh Kale Saled - Eat for Days! - Edit

Towards the end of March 2010, the Sugar Plum Vegan is/was still in the "Soft Opening" phase. The young female "Order Taker - Waitress - Only Person To Talk Too" was still in learning-the-ropes and kept having to ask the kitchen staff if certain dishes contained gluten/wheat, etc. I am in hopes that this "Soft Opening Phase" isn't going to last for long. Our offices are only a few blocks away.

The soft opening menu had a nice selection of Paini Sandwiches (unfortunately I am gluten/wheat intolerant), some interesting Sounding Salads, and a couple of dishes that I would guess were Gluten/Wheat Free (something that sounded like vegan cheese nachos; etc.).

I ordered the Smoked Tempeh Kale Salad and was not disappointed! Wow, I thought that they served a salad for all three people at our table. It was massive! And, it tasted really, really great. I am going to have to find out where there get the "soft kale" and "smoked Tempeh". What a delight. I ate myself silly then asked for DC (doggie carton) which provided another lunch for me. I do not know how they made the Kale fresh, but somehow soft.

Ron (my partner) ordered a Teriyaki Tofu Paini. Being a somewhat vocal "picky eater" I was surprised I didn't hear another word from him until he finish at about half the time for me finsh my half eaten Kale (except a "um-um" here and there), then looked up and said "I think I am going to get one those desserts in the case". Not a word from our guest until he quickly finished and said "I am glad you suggested this place".

Pros: Close to Office, Creative Menu, Friendly Staff

Cons: Still in Opening Phase

Return to Sacramento Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Garden to Grill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 14708 times since Mar 2010.