The Plant Organic Cafe

415-388-8658

800 Redwood Hwy Ste 810 (at Strawberry Village Shopping Ctr), Mill Valley, California, USA, 94941

Serves meat, vegan options available. Organic California cuisine. Several locations in the SF Bay area. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Adopt A Pet

Plant Burger Extraordinaire - Edit

Have had the Plant Burger, and it was great. My only caution is to choose your times because it tends to fill up with families and kids, at least at the MV location, which proved a little noisy on my last visit. Try a non-weekend day or evening if you want a more subdued mood. Upbeat place. More vegan options will always be welcome.

Mostly organic, but overpriced & undertrained - Edit

The best thing about The Plant is that they use mostly organic ingredients sourced from around the Bay Area. This is no small thing, and we truly appreciate it.

The food is fresh and reasonably tasty, though a bit on the simple side (we would've preferred more flavor).

The two areas where The Plant scores lower than average are value and service. We're happy to pay a small premium for organic ingredients, but at The Plant the premium is large and the portions are small-to-medium. The higher prices might be justifiable if great table service were provided, but it's a counter-service café where, at least during our visit, the best server was warm if brisk while the worst were barely paying any attention (not replying when greeted, forgetting part of our order, taking away our utensils before we had finished). One dreadlocked gentleman was very sweet and helpful, but the others seemed as though they had better things to think about than their customers. I'm sure everyone meant well, but they could use some training from someone who understands and cares about great customer service.

In short, The Plant is a very casual café that unfortunately prices itself like an upscale, full-service restaurant.

They do serve organic produce, which is worth something, but other places in California offer equal or better organic food with far better service for around the same prices, making The Plant substandard value even considering the organic ingredients.

That said, it does offer a few good vegan items (mostly salads sandwiches, and a pretty good veggie burger, as well as a few appetizers and and entree or two) so it's an option if you're in the area when better veg*n options are closed or if you're dining with carnivores.

Pros: Mostly organic & local, a few good vegan options

Cons: Overpriced, service could be better, sells meat

Where's the Wasabi? - Edit

My eye was immediately drawn to the wasabi burger with sauerkraut -- what a taste bud tingling combo! The burger was tasty -- it was red so I think it was made with beets, but I did not get that nose-tingle that I was hoping for. The burger was served with potatoes and a green salad. Overall it was a very good meal, but next time I would ask them for an extra shot of wasabi and sauerkraut so that the burger lives up to its name. The shopping center is adorable so the outdoor dining is a plus.

Pros: vegan options, fast service, outdoor dining

Cons: no wasabi tingle on wasabi burger

Huge selection of healthy vegan options - Edit

Fresh, healthy, flavorful & organic with more than 1/2 of the choices on the menu labeled vegan. This is a restaurant chain started by the former pastry chef for Millennium, Roxanne's & sous chef at Ravens. In other words: fine dining quality of vegan food but in a more casual atmosphere and more affordable price point. I would rate this restaurant 5 cows if I was allowed to.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Healthy, Flavorful

Return to Mill Valley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Plant Organic Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.