The Plant Cafe Organic - Embarcadero Pier 3

Suite 108, Pier 3, The Embarcadero, San Francisco, California, USA, 94111

Serves meat, vegan options available. Organic food cafe and restaurant with 3 locations in San Francisco. Offers an extensive menu featuring raw juices, smoothies, soups, panini sandwiches and veggie burgers, Asian-style main entrees, and American cuisine. The sit-down restaurant is across from the takeaway. Has vegan baked goods (cookies, muffins), Blue Bottle Coffee. Brunch on Sunday. Open Mon-Sun.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by VeganTex

vegan friendly and on the water - Edit

You can eat at the cafe or at the restaurant. The bar has specialty cocktails made with organic indeed urns that delight. This is a great place to go with meat eating friends because there is something for everyone.

Pros: on the water, quiet , near ferry building

food was good but - Edit

My burger was good but not exceptional and the service was crap: the waitress was cold, never asked If we wanted désert and gave
us the check before we finished eating. Anyway won't go back. And oh my god thé Smoothie was not good.

Cons: price ans service

Great Location & Atmosphere - Edit

Stopped here while on vacation in San Francisco and enjoyed it very much! Vegan options clearly labeled on the menu and the staff was very knowledgable about the dishes. I ordered the Plant Burger and it was delicious.

Pros: atmosphere, knowledgeable staff, clearly labeled menu

Cons: slightly pricey

Nice vegan options - Edit

Came here for lunch while visiting San Fran. I wanted to eat at one of the many vegan restaurants but had to succumb to a vegan friendly place since I was with an Omni. I got the plant burger (I confirmed all the breads to be vegan) and was delighted at how tasty it was! My entrée came with a salad and potatoes as well. The restaurant had a cool vibe and the waiters were friendly. Good place to come with Omnis but would rather have gone to a vegan place if I could!

Delicious - Edit

My husband and I ate here. We had the plant burger which is made from lentils, mushrooms, beets, cashews and bulgar wheat. We had it on a whole wheat sourdough bread. We had a side of mixed greens and potatoe wedges. Everything was really tasty!

Pros: Great choices, good value, friendly and informative staff

Great Food - Edit

Really good food with several vegan options...those that are not can often be altered to accomodate. I had the plant burger with sauteed mushrooms and onions; mixed green salad and nicely seasoned potato wedges; very good indeed. Would love to go back and try the breakfast options sometime.

Pros: vegan options, quality

Cons: very busy, menu changes throughout the day

Beautiful Location - very good food - Edit

We came here for dinner. This is an omnivore restaurant, but they have several vegan options. The daily special soup was vegan (and really good). They even have vegan desserts.

I had a cup of the soup and the wasabi plant burger. Both were very nice and it was a filling meal. The burger came with greens and wedge fries.

As I said, not a vegan restaurant but clearly they are catering to vegans. We're not an afterthought here.

They have Liberty Ale on tap!

Pros: Very good food, several vegan options, friendly staff

Cons: not cheap

Trendy Modern Feel - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and decided to stop by here on my last trip to San Francisco. Here's my The Plant Cafe Organic at Pier 3 review.

Interesting, the restaurant is divided into 2 separate spaces, across from each other. The kitchen and the takeaway counter in one place, and the sit-down restaurant with also outdoor waterfront patio seating on the other side. I saw their staff coming in and out from one place to the other to bring food and orders.

The takeout counter features some fresh baked goods. On the day I visited, there were several marked "V" vegan ones: a vegan chocolate chip cookie, another kind of cookie, vegan muffin, and maybe another thing (can't recall). The coffee brand advertised is Blue Bottle Coffee, which seems to be a big thing here in San Francisco (I think I'll try some tomorrow morning). The Plant also offers fresh pressed juices. My husband got a green juice with beet, and it was good.

Trendy modern slightly upscale vibe but casual okay. Touristy location.

best meal I had in SF - Edit

While visiting SF I tried many of the popular vegan restaurants, and was disappointed. On my last day I decided to try The Plant Cafe, as it was close to the Ferry Building and the farmers market. I'm so happy I stopped in! The food was great. I had the Breakfast bowl (young coconut meat | blended with apples & pecans | cinnamon | pure maple syrup) which was unlike anything I had tried before. I also got the vegan sausage and a soy chai latte. Everything was yummy. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only bummer was they seated me at the bar, which can be awkward when you are dinning alone and no one else is seated there! They did give me the option to move though, so I can't fault them too much on that. Try it out!

Pros: good food, good location

Cons: also serves meat

Vegan-friendly by the water - Edit

Nice atmosphere. You can sit very close to the water. The food was okay. I had the vegan reuben and was not impressed. It was dry and didn't have much flavor. My boyfriend had the veggie burger and it was really good. There are about five vegan options on the menu. The bakery has some vegan options as well. We tried the oatmeal raisin cookie and it was delish.

Pros: Atmosphere, Friendly staff, Vegan-options

Awesome place - Edit

My sister and i had lunch here in August whilst travelling in San Francisco. We are both strict vegetarians so after a while of walking around we were happy to see the vegetarian options on the menu. We both had burgers and several starters to share; the food was delicious and filling. I seem to remember the salad i had was particularly nice and was recommended by the staff, which were also really friendly and fun

I think it was a bit pricey but then it was in a really nice locationa and you do pay extra for Organic food usually, so it wasn't a problem.

Pros: Delicious food, Good selection, Friendly Staff

The Plant Cafe Organic - Pier 3 - Edit

I don't know why I didn't try Plant Organic Cafe during my last SF visit, but I will say I was certainly missing out! I'm so in love with Plant Cafe Organic that I ended up eating there three times (once at the pier, downtown, and airport location). If you're like me, tired of fake meats, this is the place for you. They have the most amazing burger called the Plant Burger, the patty is made in-house from lentils, mushrooms, beets, cashews & bulgur wheat served with tomato, grilled onions, lettuce, house-made pickles, vegan aioli & side salad (get it on the wheat bread). I loved this burger so much that I ate it for lunch 3 days in a row, what can I say? It was just awesome! The Pier location was beautiful, although it was separated into two - they have a super fancy room for dinner time which faces the bay (very nice view) and a smaller section for brunch and lunch (still has a great view). The employees were super friendly and very helpful when it came to navigating the menu. The pier location definitely my favorite location. (5 cows - the site won't let me rate it above 4)

Very nice, veg-friendly restaurant - Edit

I had a very enjoyable meal here. The restaurant is situated near the Ferry Building, on the water, with a view of boats and Treasure Island. The atmosphere is modern/chic, yet casual. Full bar and table service, with outdoor seating available. The menu is veg-friendly (they serve meat, too), and clearly denotes vegan and gluten-free options. Ingredients are organic. The fresh spring rolls and plant burger were excellent! The quality of the food is excellent Their mixed drinks, however, were small and overpriced, I feel. Overall, a good choice for this area of SF.

Pros: Water view, High quality food

Cons: Overpriced drinks

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Plant Cafe Organic - Embarcadero Pier 3 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2621 times since Mar 2010.