The Plant Cafe Organic - Marina Cafe

Contact 415-931-2777

3352 Steiner St (at Chestnut), San Francisco, California, USA, 94123

Serves meat, vegan options available. Organic food cafe with a few locations in San Francisco. Offers an extensive menu featuring raw juices, smoothies, soups, panini sandwiches and veggie burgers, Asian-style main entrees. Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by condekedar

amazing little cafe - Edit

I absolutely adore this little cafe. It's got clean, simple ingredients put together with intention and care. Most everything is made in house and is tasty and filling. They use organic ingredients and is a great price point. My husband and I had the plant burger and have nothing but good things to say, although we left pretty stuffed which is both good and bad. I also love that they have kombucha on tap with no extra added sugar. This is a great place to go if you're looking for organic clean food!

Pros: good quality food, good price, great menu selection

Cons: cafeteria style , a bit noisy

Just okay - Edit

Our experience at Plant Café was fine - not impressive, veering toward underwhelming, but there was nothing in particular to truly ding them for. It was my first time at Plant. At this one, you order at the counter and they bring your food to your table, so its casual. Ambience is clean, bright and inviting to sit down, but definitely low-key. They serve beer, wine, coffee/tea, fresh juice & smoothies and some fancy seltzer drinks. There's also a water "fountain" with sliced lemons on the side for all.

We shared:
Body Cleanser Juice (Carrot, Celery, Apple, Lemon)- You definitely taste the lemon! It's pleasantly tart. I'm not big on vegetables in juices, but the carrot tends to take the flavor of the fruit, while still contributing a beautiful orange color. Celery still tastes very rootish to me, giving the drink an earthy feel. It was good but not fantastic - however, I definitely lean toward a sweet preference with this type of juice (boyfriend leans toward savory).

California Plant Burger- Large, well-seasoned burger served atop a fluffy, white ACME sourdough bun. The burger patty was clearly homemade. It was a soft patty, squishing out of the bun a bit, but texturally very solid. It has a pretty pink flavor, due to the beets in it. The toppings were plentiful, including caramelized onions, avocado, white cheddar, lettuce, tomato & vegan aioli. The mix of all the flavors worked well. A large, filling burger that I think would be satisfying to vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. It came with a side salad that was well-dressed in a light balsamic dressing.

Chinese Five Spiced Tempeh - This was tasty, but there was something to be desired in the way the dish was presented. Rice and sauce filled the bottom of the bowl, topped with very few pieces of broccoli and fewer oyster mushrooms. The sesame lime coconut sauce was tasty, but didn't coat the tempeh at all. The tempeh had a sesame feel as it was sesame crusted, but certainly didn't have a five spice feel. The tempeh was plentiful, however.

German Chocolate Cake (vegan) - This looked quite tasty on the counter where it was being displayed. The frosting (of some type of nut and a semi-chocolate flavor was okay, but didn't stand out as being special or sweet in a delicious way, but rather a sticky sweet way. The cake was quite dry and bland (not too chocolatey either), and we didn't finish the cake part at all. No whipped cream, chocolate sauce, etc. is served on the cake.

Love Hanging Out Here - Edit

I really love hanging out here. The food is good, and the service is good too. They are always willing to customize orders and make sure you get what you want. I love the atmosphere the most. Only complaint is the food is a bit expensive for what you get.

Pros: Atmosphere, Something enjoyable for all tastes

Cons: A little over priced

Good food - Edit

I thought the burger was completely overhyped. It tastes OK, but very soft and so red there was no way it could fool a carnivore. The bun was nice, though. They have kombucha on tap and their desserts had plenty of vegan options and they all looked great.

Good food and good service - Edit

The staff could definitely handle vegan.
Service was good, even though the restaurant full on a Sunday and I only was one person.
Only the sequence of the food they got wrong, my starter arrived much later than the entree.
Food was yummy, the location amazing.
Will come back when in SF again.

The Plant Cafe Organic - Edit

For me, a trip to SF is not complete without a visit to The Plant Cafe Organic - my favorite place to get a vegan burger! I go here for one thing, the Plant Burger, which is red in color and made with things such as lentils, beets, mushrooms, etc. The burger is flavorful and delicious overall. They even have vegenaise, which is used in the aioli for the burger. This is seriously my favorite place for a vegan burger and I highly recommend the Plant Burger.

Best Veggie burgers ever! - Edit

These guys have the most INCREDIBLY delicious & convincing veggie-burgers I've ever had! The color & texture of it make it look like a REAL rare burger, but it's completely, %100 vegan! I bet there are some carnivores who've been fooled into thinking this is real meat! I also highly recommend the healthy smoothies as well-- very, very tasty!

Good Stuff - Edit

Pleasantly Surprised! plant burger really good...and melted in my mouth. The cookies were some of the best I've had. Now one of my favorite SF places to go...next time I'm in town this will be the first place I go. Nice atmosphere and fabulous service.

Pros: Cookies

Great little neighborhood restaurant - Edit

This restaurant is a more casual version of the other Plant Cafe at the Embarcadero. Here, there is no table service (order at the counter, get a number, seat yourself), and no full-liquor selection, and the menu is a bit more limited, but there are still plenty of yummy vegan and gluten-free options, all of which are clearly marked. There is also a large selection of delicious vegan desserts, all clearly marked. The food is delicious, the staff is very friendly, and the decor is very modern. Overall, a very good experience.

Pros: Healthy food, Excellent dessert

Cons: Many meat options

Delicious BBQ tempeh panini - Edit

I went here with four non-veg friends, and all but one ordered vegetarian fare and were happy with their meals. After a bit of hemming and hawing (there are a lot of vegan options on the menu) I opted for the barbecue tempeh panini with a side salad. I was really pleased and would definitely order it again. The location is great.

I tried my friend's mango smoothie (made with coconut milk and ginger) and would have ordered one for myself if it had been a bit cheaper.

I'd call the prices moderate. I would definitely go back if I were in the area, but wouldn't make a special trip from Marin to SF just to go there.

Pros: many vegan options, friendly staff, nice location

Cons: could be cheaper

Plant Cafe Organic - Marina Cafe, San Francisco - Edit

I have just had lunch here. It is a place with contemporary decor and a very nice vibe. I asked the girl behind the counter what was suitable for a vegan veggie and she got off to a great start bhy saying, 'speaking as a vegan'. I took her recommendation of the soup (it tasted like mildly spiced pumpkin) followed by a home made burger (she telle me this place is renowned for their burgers) served with a salad that was very nicely dressed. $17.50 for the 2 before gratuity.

Big winner on many points for me; food was good, service great, nice vibe, located on Steiner St in the Marina area. I'd be happy to go back.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 18, 2010

Because of it's proximity to my hotel I went here for dinner last night. I ordered some food and asked for a glass of wine and asked which they had that are vegan. While she wasn't unpleasant about it, the waitress had no idea what I was talking about and asked me if I was for real or having a joke. When after a minute or so I convinced that I very much was real, she asked her colleague so similarly thought that all wines are vegan. After a check of the labels of the wine they had, I was told none were labelled vegan. C'est la vie.

Pros: vegan veggie friendly, Good food and service

Cons: Not 100% vego

Great Place on the water - Edit

This is a great place on the water and the service is good and the people are nice and the choice of food is wonderful, all there food and there wine are all local supplied and organic..

Pros: Great location, Great value, Local Farms support

Trendy, fresh, cool - Edit

This is a trendy, modern diner/cafe with a very vegan-friendly menu and also wine and beer. Almost all of their food is organic and fresh, with an emphasis on local ingredients, too. My tempeh green curry was a bt bland, but the ingredients were of high quality. My partner's garden burger was delicious and filling, though, with a spicy chipotle sauce. They only had one vegan dessert, a raw cheesecake, which was creamy and wonderful.

The prices are a bit on the higher side, but the food is fresh and fairly tasty, the service is friendly, the place is clean and modern, and it's in a hip, vibrant area just off of Chestnut St.

Pros: Ingredients, Service, Location

Cons: Prices, Some bland dishes, Not 100% vegetarian

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Plant Cafe Organic - Marina Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1845 times since Jul 2008.