The Plant Cafe-Deli

Contact 01392-428144

1 Cathedral Yard, Devon, Exeter, England, EX1 1HJ

Features a course menu using local and organic ingredients. Available for private dinner parties. Bring your own wine. Mon-Sat 8:30am-5:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, British, English

First Review by ali parr

wonderful little cafe! - Edit

little hard to find in the huge cathedral square, despite the large amount of people sat outside eating! helpful staff and excellent choices of food for vegans! the chocolate cake was super good! the best icing to cake ratio i've ever had!

Pros: VEGAN CHOCOLATE CAKE , plentiful options , seating both inside and outside

Cons: busy/ things got forgotten from our order, not close enough to go to regularly!

Great desserts and view - Edit

The desserts and soup were great, whereas the salads were a bit bland. There was a wide variety of vegan desserts and we particularly liked the chocolate cake and carrot cake. The location is amazing, situated in front of the Exeter Cathedral. They even offer blankets to take your food outside and picnic on the grass.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great location

Cons: Salads a bit bland

Good food in prime location - Edit

I had lunch at The Plant Café yesterday, having just got off the bus from the airport. I followed my nose as I walked through town and somehow found myself there. It was only then that I remembered I'd seen it on my last visit a few years ago and made a mental note!

This is a busy, slightly cramped little café with a good selection of lunch dishes and the option of taking away. The menu is on a blackboard with a note saying to ask about vegan and gluten-free. I was a little surprised by this; it should be easy to just annotate the menu accordingly. You order and pay at the counter and find a seat, with your food being brought to you. There was a choice of soup, tarts, a risotto slice, a felafel wrap and toasted ciabatta, as well as salads and cakes, plus a good selection of soft drinks and teas. My goat's cheese, beetroot and mango chutney ciabatta was served with Burt's crisps and leaves. The goat's cheese was nicely complemented by the beetroot but I found the additional sweetness of the mango chutney unnecessary. The crisps and leaves were welcome additions but I found the salad dressing too sharp. At £6.35, I thought it was quite pricey for what was effectively a toasted sandwich with some crisps and salad. My elderflower pressé added £2.30 to the bill, bringing the grand total to £8.65.

What gives The Plant Café real charm is its location, right opposite the Cathedral. There is outdoor as well as indoor seating and even a suggestion that you borrow a picnic blanket and sit on the green. It's a good option if you're on town seeing the sights.

Pros: Central location, Nice view, Good choice of dishes

Cons: Pricey, A little cramped, Vegan dishes not marked

Cozy place with delicious food - Edit

We had a family visit to Plant Cafe for some cakes and hot drinks. There were plenty of vegan cakes and cookes. We had 4 different slices: beetroot-raspberry, cheesecake, carrot, and choclate. We also had a choc chip cookie. Everything was delicious. They also have plenty of vegan savoury dishes, like tarts, soup, falafel, hummus. They do not charge for water - there are bottles of tap water, which we really appreciated. And the coffee was a good one.

Pros: Vegan options, Not expensive, Central location

Cons: Limited indoor space but tables outside, Not open on Sunday

Best chocolate cake! - Edit

I love Plant! It's great for take-away lunches; they do a savoury and salad box, or just a salad box, these include a mixture of all their salads of the day which are always all vegan. The savouries consist of a variety of tarts (some vegan some not - but always labelled) and frittatas. They also have paninis and falafel wraps.

They always have a good selection of cakes, including vegan options. My personal favourite is the chocolate cake, but the beetroot and raspberry cake is also great, as are their peanut butter and chocolate cookies!

This place is small, and gets very busy, so get there early if you want to sit inside! If it's a nice day there are usually plenty of tables outside, or you can always sit on the cathedral green.

Pros: Great food and treats, Healthy food, Good value

Cons: Small, Not open sundays

Best falafel wraps ever - Edit

My boyfriend And I loved this place. We had some wraps and borrowed a picnic blanket and laid out on the grass outside in the sun. It was beautiful. I had a slice of their beetroot cake too which was delicious. We will definitely be going there again.

Pros: easy to find vegan options, can borrow picnic blankets, good value

Cons: not open on Sundays

Great food! Great staff! - Edit

My second time going to this place and it was just as good as I remember, helpful staff who where great at telling me what the vegan options where (which where delicious). Lovely salad and pie and the the most massive slice of chocolate cake (could possibly have been a bit smaller) warmed up very fudgy and delicious. They even talked me through the making!

Sad it doesn't open past 5pm!

Pros: Good vegan food, Lovely staff

Cons: not enough stomach to eat everything lol, closes at 5

Tasty & Good Value - Edit

Have been here a few times and never disappointed in enjoying lovely Vegan food.

Plenty of choice, on this occasion opting for a falafel wrap with salad, followed by their famous beetroot cake. The falafel & salad was much tastier than I expected & the cake was delicious as ever.

I visited after the busier lunch time slot and was served rapidly by the friendly staff.

Would be great if the plant cafe was true it's name and served only plant based food, ditching the eggs and dairy to set the standard in Exeter.

Pros: Location, Service

Cons: A little cramped indoors when busy , Not all Vegan

Great Value, taste, and large amounts :-) - Edit

Fantastic value for money, with an ample plate loaded with enough to make you smile. All the food is fresh, and the flavours are astounding. Much of the salad I had never seen before, but it was well chosen, and the flavours complimented the tart I had.

Pros: Outdoor seating, Nice view of the Cathedral , Friendly staff

Cons: Inside is quite small, It's not in Manchester

Not so special - Edit

We had an early lunch at this place before we took the bus heading further north. There were some packed lunches or sandwiches to take away (also some vegan choices) and some freshly prepared vegan choices. We went for the creamy red pepper soup (very tasty) and a potato and vegan "cream cheese" quiche with a little side salad including edible flowers. Unfortunately, the quiche was very greasy and didn't taste of very much but oil. It was also rather small for the price.
We also had some local fizzy drink which was very refreshing and tasty.
The location is great but I'm not sure whether that would be reason enough for my going back there next time I'm in Exeter.

Pros: Location, Book swap near the toilets

Cons: Greasy food, Rather expensive

Luscious cake with beetroot.... - Edit

Thoroughly enjoyed the cake, forget any preconceptions of what you might think beetroot would taste like in a cake, take my word for it and give it a try! In fact the cake lodges in the memory so much that I forget what it was I had to drink! And this is only two days ago! Lovely location in cathedral close. Staff friendly. In the past do remember running into the odd staff member who could do with brushing up on the art of customer service.

Pros: Varied choices, Lovely location

Nice food, poor staff - Edit

The food here was lovely and the location next to the cathedral perfect. Plenty of choice and herein lies the issue; we were made to feel very uncomfortable by the counter staff when we did not know what we wanted straight away. I chose a particular pasty and then they was reluctant to let me have it as it was the last one!

Our group all very much liked their food and the prices were good but the whole thing was tainted by the attitude of the staff, we also had a issue when paying as wanted to split our bill into two and this seemed to offend the other member of staff there. I will go back but if I see the same staff in there I will be leaving quickly!

Pros: good value, tasty food, great location

Cons: poor staff

Service with a frown - Edit

I have no problem with the food or drinks in the establishment, but the service was lacking. The lady serving seemed annoyed that we didn't know straight away what we wanted, despite there being no other customers so wasn't as if we were holding up the queue. The drinks order was incorrect and we were made to feel like we were in the wrong despite asking for exactly what we wanted and not the 'house speciality' drink of a similar but more wordy name, which apparently we should have known about.

Finally an issue with this website, for some reason you are not allowed to give a 1 cow rating for a veggie restaurant, which makes the rating system a bit flawed!

Yum - Edit

When I was in Exeter I ate here every day! The mushrooms on toast and vegan chocolate cake were both amazing. You can sit outside and there is a great view of the cathedral. Highly recommended!

More Yummy Than Fancy - Edit

The service here is polite and efficient (got my food quickly and cheerfully even on a Bank Holiday Monday, during lunch rush!). I was promptly offered a chilled bottle to replace the lukewarm one I'd picked out of the display by the door, without any sort of hinting on my part; I didn't even know they had chilled ones out the back.

To be honest, the menu/selection left a tiny bit to be desired, but once I'd tasted the various salads, I understood that they've just focused all their attention on perfecting the items they do offer.

The prices were also a bit steep, but the portions are more than generous. If you're after a light bite and brought a friend, just order one of the platters (say risotto + 2 salads or whatever) and share.

Pros: flavor of food, outdoor seating, cheerful staff

Cons: slightly limited menu, bit sparse on the hot vegan offerings, somewhat elevated prices

Best In Town!! - Edit

I have been going to the Plant Cafe for 4 years now and am very confused about the last post! A limited choice is the exact opposite of what i have always seen there! There is often too much choice and i want it all! All i can say is that you must have caught them on a very rare day.
Although in regards to the breakfasts, the Persian baked eggs are secomd to none. That and a deliciously crafted coffee makes the perfect breakfast for anyone! I can get enough of this cafe!

Pros: Food, friendly happy staff, Amazing coffe

Cons: not big enough

Limited choices - Edit

The cafe seems good at what it does, but it doesn't do much. The menu is very limited, a number of prepackaged items. It would seem better to go for breakfast, as that meal provides more choices. Otherwise, do not stop planning to eat a meal. You'll have to go elsewhere.

Pros: Location, Affordability

Cons: Limited Menu

Great location; ate lunch here twice - Edit

We were in Exeter for two days and this restaurant was a real bonus. The first time we sat inside and the next day outside and since it is across from the cathedral we enjoyed the view as we ate. The place is small but they were not that busy (September?) so we had no difficulty with seating. The later in the day you arrive, the less choice there is but as a vegan there was always lots of choice. My wife who is a vegetarian enjoyed the food as well. On the second day, I did have the chocolate cake and it was very good.

Pros: great location, good tasting food, accomodating staff

Cons: hours of operation

soooo good - Edit

went to the plant on a sunday afternoon. greeted with smiles all round. the staff were up to their eyeballs cooking all sorts of things! but, still spent the time to talk me through what everything was. i got chatting to them about the new ownership...the girls had always worked at plant and were the perfect candidates to take over the business. i think a few things had changed for the better.
i ended up having a chai latte and risotto layer. you must experience it! the music was very 'new worldy'. great atmosphere. i even went away with a free cake voucher for my next visit!!!

Pros: staff! , constant supply of fresh food, community notice wall

Cons: too much choice!

Lovely cafe - Edit

I have been to the Plant Cafe a few times for lunch (both business and leisure) and there is always something there for vegans - including a fantastic vegan chocolate cake!! The staff are always friendly, polite, & helpful = excellent customer care! This cafe is well worth a visit! The only downside is that it is small so you may find it difficult to get a table at peak times.

Pros: Great Food, Vegan Chocolate Cake, Friendly staff

Cons: Small venue

Great vegan choice - Edit

Really happy that we changed venue and went here, friendly staff,good choice of vegan food,nice freshly prepared food, crisp cold salads, warmed pitta bread with nicely served hummus, attention to detail, cost £17.90 for huge plated salad at least 4 salads on plate,hummus and pitta, vegan sos panini with good garnish,dijon mustard wild rocket,two soya lattes, big platefulls and food served at the right temp,large jugs of water to help yourself to, would go tomorrow if I lived nearer, was tiny inside and difficulty to read menu up on wall without feeling pressured to choose quickly as it is right above a table with some one eating at so made quick choices,luckily the right ones!, nie atmostphere all round, seemed all ages there, played Jazz music,that is a no no for me personally but others might love it,they do outside catering I think as well, great first impression,loved it.

Pros: vegan friendly, welcoming, very tasty food

Cons: badly placed menu board, jazz music, to far for me to go weekly!

Vegan chocolate cake - Edit

This is the cutest little cafe ever. The food is so so delicious and to have the vegan chocolate cake is simply heaven. The best i have ever tasted.

The staff are so friendly and the atmosphere is delightful. I just wish i lived nearer so i could visit more often.

Return to Exeter Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Plant Cafe-Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6723 times since Aug 2007.