Get the HappyCow App

HappyCow mobile application
The App Stores #1 vegetarian and vegan restaurant guide
Thousand of listings across the globe
Featured on CNN, NY Times, and Wall Street Journal
Download the app

© HappyCow 2018

CLOSED: The Plant Academy - Pop-Up

Southport area, Southport, England

Vegan pop-up host serving vegan meals and cakes, shakes and juices, tea and coffee. Provides almond milk, oat milk and soy milk for drinks. See website for dates and locations. Confirmed no longer operating from this market, May 2018.

Categories: Vegan, British, European

First Review by JbradleyEsq

katstubbs

Contributions +20

11 Jan 2018

What a surprise - Edit

On a recent trip back to my home town I was surprised to find this lovely cafe tucked away in Southport Market. As a new vegan I'm still trying to find useful places to eat and drink, this is definitely one of them. Their leek and potato soup was yummy and I highly recommend their crispy chocolate squares.

VickiWanSlattery

Contributions +515

13 Dec 2017

Vegan hidden delight, great place for dinner (lunch) - Edit

Found this place on Happy Cow!

Hours are 9am-5pm but they stop serving food at 4pm.

Had a very tasty aubergine and satay Buddha bowl £6.25 and hibiscus tea £2.15. For afters I had a peanut butter bar £2.80 and then a jam oat bar £2.40! All delicious and would have them again.

The cafe sells hot and cold drinks, breakfast until 11.30am and dinner from 11.30am until 4pm. They also do children’s options and a range of different milks. They are happy to cater for food allergies and intolerances.

They serve a range of cakes, plus chocolate bars, teas and coffees to take home, vegan t-shirts, chocolate hampers, gift vouchers and they have an array of vegan resources to read.

There are 5 tables so plenty of seating! You can listen to the communal market radio while you’re eating.

I parked on the street nearby which was £3 for 2 hours.

Pros: Fully Vegan , Varied Menu , Vegan Shop

Cons: No Free Parking

LiamCooch

Contributions +86

01 Dec 2017

Favourite place - Edit

Me and my Wife have visited here many times now and introduced some of our friends to it as well. Really friendly staff, great food with plenty of options! Naughty treats as well as healthy options. Can’t recommend it enough, I love going here. Just wish it was located elsewhere and could stay open later.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great food , Lots of choice

Cons: Open/closing times dictated by its location.

jennygrace15

Contributions +32

24 Nov 2017

Went back the next day for more! - Edit

I haven’t spent much time in Southport for a fair few years, so when I found this place I was so pleasantly surprised!
Went to check it out with my mum & instantly walked away with a brownie & choc peanut butter snap bar... wasn’t too keen on the brownie but the snap was incredible!
Also got a BLT to take away the next day with another snap bar & coffee which was amazing.
The prices are a bit steep although for an independent start up that is understandable.

GtotheI

14 Aug 2017

Yummy - Edit

Loved it! Today appeared to be market day in southport and I could smell meat everywhere. I was starving and I didn't want to have to settle for chips or carrot sticks - but a quick check on happy cow showed this place was just around the corner. I got the three cheese toastie to take away, very nice and I am okay with the price, considering! The food didn't take too long in my opinion, it was fairly busy and I was only waiting about 10 minutes, the only problem was I had a train to catch but that's my fault for taking the gamble (and I made it in time anyway!). For me it was a lucky find on a shopping trip - but I'd come back to southport just for this :)
Ps - I suggest adding calories to the menu for us calorie counters :)

Updated from previous review on 2017-08-14

Pros: Friendly staff, Gluten free options available, Tasty food

Cons: Price - okay for me but maybe not for others

sc2987

Contributions +20

27 Jun 2017

Good choice of food but fairly expensive - Edit

This place is good enough for Southport, but I don't think it would survive in towns with other vegan cafes as it's quite expensive for the portion sizes, and the food took a while to be ready (we were the only ones waiting at the time). Perhaps I have just been spoilt by living in Bristol and Manchester!

E.g. the portion size of the toastie was two slices of bread with filling, for £5.30 I think. If you get the gluten-free bread, the slices are smaller. I think for that price it should at least come with salad (and I mean interesting salad; not just a lettuce leaf and a couple of slices of tomato!).

They have some interesting kombucha flavours though, and a range of smoothies. And all the cakes are gluten-free, with gluten-free options for the savoury foods available too.

I don't see why they can't put their menu online, if they reprint it every month anyway (ours was out of date; it said May).

I was pleased that they use compostable straws, rather than plastic ones.

Updated from previous review on 2017-06-27

Pros: Sufficient choice, Tasty food, Gluten-free options

Cons: Expensive for portion size, Took a while for food to arrive, Next to a butcher; can see meat from tables

ThePlantAcademy

24 Jul 2017
Hi there, I'm Ellie the owner of The Plant Academy. Thanks for taking the time for writing this review.
We change our menu weekly currently, although from early-mid August we will be changing to a set menu. The reason your menu said May was because I hadn't noticed to change it until you posted this review, I have dyslexia and have a tendency to read what I want it to say instead of what it actually says! But I can assure you that your menu was up to date.
We are aiming to be as good as big city cafes, and we think we already rival some, but at the point you came in we were only two months since opening our doors, and we are still learning and bettering ourselves everyday. From mid August we will have an exciting new menu with lots of interesting and delicious items, alongside our delicious sandwiches and cakes!
Glad you enjoyed all our compostable take out materials! We are passionate about reducing our effects on this planet.

Hope you'll visit us again next time you're in Southport!

Ellie

Hoggy

Contributions +1129

19 Jun 2017

Fun, Friendly, Fresh! - Edit

The Plant Academy had only been open a few days when we visited, what a friendly and welcoming café! We popped in for coffee and cakes, what a brilliant array of both options (I hear the meals are delicious too!). Lots of different plant milks to choose from, and a variety of cakes and other tasty treats baked fresh.

Plenty of people mention to never miss out on the lemon drizzle cake, NEVER MISS OUT ON THE LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE. Seriously, it is astoundingly tasty. My partner chose the Victoria jam sponge, so fun and yummy!

Will happily visit again, I hear since we’ve visited they’ve expanded the seating area which was the only quibble I had, but all I can say is I’m so glad it’s got a lot of punters. Definitely stop by if you are considering it.

Pros: Great selection of food and drink, Friendly and welcoming atmosphere

Cons: A bit tight on seating space

SimonHedges

07 May 2017

An amazing find - Edit

We really didn't think we'd find a vegan café in Southport but found this place on Happy Cow. We went to check it out for breakfast which was so good we ended up going back for lunch which was equally amazing. The cakes, coffee and soup are delicious and the couple who run the place are super nice. And it was great to see they were so busy! Definitely recommended.

Pros: Delicious food, Lovely staff, Great coffee

DaniDawson

Contributions +22

06 May 2017

Best Vegan Porridge Ever!!! - Edit

A great little cafe, very small but a good choice of meals/drinks and the food was delicious! Slightly sad that's it's next to the butchers but otherwise is brilliant. The lemon drizzle cake is beautiful!

Pros: Lots of vegan options Choice of non-dairy milks, Affordable

Cons: next to a butchers stall

Waldyvgun

Contributions +74

03 May 2017

Fab find! - Edit

What a brilliant find, tucked away in Southport indoor market. Staff are lovely, informative & friendly. Tucked into a fantastic ' tofu BLT', the nicest I've had. Couldn't leave without buying 1 piece of each home made cake, they didn't make it home 😉
Hope to go back soon!

Pros: Home made goodies and fab tofu!

Cons: None!

Kirstpea

Contributions +26

01 May 2017

So good! - Edit

It is so nice to have somewhere with so many options in Southport! Being a gluten free vegan can be challenging...but I can even get cakes here! You can't even tell that lemon drizzle is gluten free - perfection! I also like that it is child friendly and allergies are taken seriously!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good portion sizes, Cake

AlwynneCartmell

Contributions +18

23 Apr 2017

flesh free and tasty - Edit

vegan. tasty gluten free. friendly.wonderfully convenient location😄

JbradleyEsq

08 Apr 2017

Fantastic food and drinks. A must visit for vegans in the area. - Edit

Completely exceeded my expectations. I would honestly say that the Macha Maca Latte was one of the nicest hot drinks I have ever had. The staff are very friendly, knowledgeable, and seem totally passionate about plant based food. It's so good to see a vegan cafe in Southport and especially great that it is as good (if not better) than the well established places in Liverpool and Manchester. Could not recommend highly enough!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Choice of plant based milks in drinks, Children's menu

Cons: Limited seating

Return to Southport Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Plant Academy - Pop-Up closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.