The Pita Spot

• Veg-friendly
Contact 860-415-4656

45 Williams Ave, Mystic, Connecticut, USA,

Serves meat, vegan options available. This restaurant has several vegan options such as salads, hummus, falafels, pita wraps, stuffed grape leaves, and numerous vegetable entrees.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mediterranean, Greek, Non-veg

First Review by boomerpet

Amazing! - Edit

The Pita Spot has so many vegan options and a super friendly staff! Our waitress was super sweet! When I asked about the vegan options, she took me through the menu showing possibilities and then said "pretty much anything that doesn't have dairy in the description is or can be vegan, just let me know if you see something you like!" The menu is pretty big and there's a lot to choose from. The Lentil soup was wonderful, not what I was expecting. It wasn't a common thick mixed or red lentil soup, it was very different from that. It was a thinner soup, but did not taste or seem in anyway watery. I thought the soup was some of the best soup I've had. The spices were just magical! Seriously, go to this place is you want amazing food! My friends in the area have raved about it for a while and I just finally got to try it!

Pros: Amazing food, Prices are okay, Friendly staff

Cons: Serves meat

excellent Middle Eastern, with many vegan dishes - Edit

Contrary to its name, its dining room is much larger than a tiny spot. Traditional American-Middle Eastern food, with all the expected vegan dishes such as hummus, baba ganouch, stuffed grape leaves, and falafel. The baba ganouch is especially good, indeed the best I ever have eaten, anywhere. I even rate this restaurant as the best Mid Eastern cuisine, anywhere. Another excellent dish that is surprisingly vegan is the collards greens, though heavy on the garlic. Other very worthy very vegan dishes are the mousakaa (which you might know by the French name ratatouille) and the potatoes. Note that the prices are moderate and therefore quite uncharacteristic of Mystic. Also uncharacteristic of Mystic, it offers ample parking. The always adorable waitresses boast some vegetarians among them. While the menu clearly identifies the vegetarian dishes, you must query about what is vegan, which is easy as the owners and wait staff speak "fluent vegan" here. But I recommend dining here only spring through fall when you can sit outdoors. Indoors is crowded and noisy, and when meat hits the grill the air often fills with its fumes, savory to carnivores but noxious to vegans.

Pros: the food!, moderate prices, the parking

Cons: noxious fumes of meat when grilled

Acceptable - Edit

The menu here has clearly marked vegetarian options and plenty to choose from. The food was good, not great. Lentil soup was watery but hummus was yummy. Extra charge to add simple veggies to our wrap, and they neglected to even add all they charged for!

Pros: decent food

Cons: overpriced

the perfect "pit" stop :-) - Edit

This is my second visit - my husband and I travel through Mystic from Cape Cod to NJ/NY/CT regularly. Thanks to the Happy Cow, we no longer take a bag lunch/dinner for the drive. We've had lunch and dinner. You will NOT be disappointed! Great vegan options - lots of gluten free and vegetarian too. Try the veggie kabob, falafel pita, hummus, collard greens, and spinach pies.

Pros: great food, great service

Cons: can't think of any!

Return to Mystic Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Pita Spot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2131 times since Jun 2011.