The Pepper Sisters

• Veg-friendly
Contact 360- 671-3414

1055 N State St (at btwn Maple and Laurel), Bellingham, Washington, USA, 98225

Serves meat, vegan options available. All beans are vegan, as are the sides of posole and house salad that come with every entree. Vegan sopapilla served meal. Potato flautas and eggplant tostads, and a other few entrees that are marked as able to be veganized. Bright, warm atmosphere. Free chips and salsa if you state beforehand that you will be paying in cash.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Southwestern, Non-veg

First Review by duncveggies

not impressed - Edit

They don't offer any vegan options. They will however take off a meat or dairy product from a menu selection to veganize it. Our meals were left pretty tasteless after that. I will not be going back. Service wasn't great but it was pretty crowded so other people seemed to enjoy it.

Family favorite for many years - Edit

My mom lives in Bellingham WA - and we have a tradition of always eating out together at Pepper Sisters when I make my annual visit. Food is consistently great with ample portions, service is super friendly, and I love the fact that they clearly mark a number of entrees that can be made vegan upon request. The veganized Roasted Potato and Garlic Enchilada is especially great.

Pros: Yummy food with ample portions, Many veganizable entrees clearly marked, Friendly service

Great food, friendly, good value - Edit

Ate here in January 2015 - always make a point of going here when we're home in Bellingham. GREAT food, and good value.
Friendly staff. Some great vegetarian and vegan options. Never had a bad meal here.
Parking (metered) on the street outside or nearby is usually available.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff

Cons: None!

Getting Better - Edit

The first time I went to The Pepper Sisters, I was mostly underwhelmed. The in-house salsa was okay, dinner was anti-climactic, and I had absolutely no desire to ever try it again. However, on a whim I ended up trying it with my partner again a couple weeks ago. Having extremely low expectations and only getting something so that we basically didn't go hungry, we shared the bean burrito entree veganized, figuring it would at least be hard to make horrible. Boy were we pleasantly surprised! It was actually a really enjoyable night out, and we enjoyed the meal so much that we went back again for the same thing a week later.

Bellingham's restaurants tend to underwhelm me almost every time. I feel like the money would be better spent on a home-cooked meal. While I haven't had a "knock my socks off" restaurant experience here yet, the Pepper Sisters has given me the best experience I've had so far.
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 10, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday April 10, 2014

Pros: Good location, Free chips with cash, Vegan items easy to identify

Mediocre food, bad service - Edit

The food here is over-priced, mediocre Mexican food. As a Hispanic who grew up on the southern border, I was a bit nervous to eat at this joint; however, I was pleasantly surprised that the food was not terrible. Unfortunately, it wasn't that good, either, landing solidly in the nether realm of "it was ok, but I wouldn't go back."

The brisk, almost rude service (from more than one waitress) definitely reinforced that "not going back" sentiment. We were not at the restaurant while it was busy; in fact, when we arrived we were only the third of small parties. When we left, the place was slightly busier, but certainly not hectic, and not at all an atmosphere that excused our treatment at the hands of our servers and cashier.

I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone who knows and enjoys real Mexican food, and I definitely wouldn't recommend this place to anyone who expects warm, friendly service.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Vegan options, Cool setting

Cons: Mediocre food, Bad service, Expensive

Always good food and a good time! - Edit

Pepper Sisters has always been a favorite. I love the bright open atmosphere, friendly staff and vegan friendly dinner choices. It is a fun place to be and it shows in the bustling business that they do throughout the year. The deck is great in the spring and summer and the lounge area to grab a sangria while waiting is whimsical and comfy. When you look around the restaurant you will see all ages having a great time and enjoying their food with smiles on their faces. Prices are inexpensive and you will not be dissapointed. Check it out!

Pros: Consistently Good Food, Great vegan options, Nice art

Wonderful! - Edit

Went with friends for my birthday..
First the enviroment was AWESOME! The menu options were great as we had a "mixed crowed". Everyone loved their food!
I thought the prices were "ok" not the best but certainly not bad for the options we had!
The sopapilla is vegan and TO LIVE FOR! We ordered more for everyone it was SO good!
the biggest down fall was the inability to seperate the checks, so if you're going with friends remind them to bring cash!
I will go back again to try more food for sure!

Pros: Awesome food , Great Service

Cons: a little pricey, unable to split the check

Delicious! - Edit

I always make it a point to eat at Pepper Sisters whenever I'm visiting friends in Bellingham. The food is always tasty, the atmosphere is always lively, and the booze is always chilled. Makes for great nights out!

Exceptionally veggie friendly - Edit

We eat here regularly and the food does not disappoint. Every night they have two specials, and one is always vegetarian. Many menu items can be prepared to meet vegan and food allergy requirements. This is a great restaurant to visit if you have vegetarians and meat eaters in your group. Everyone will leave happy and no one will feel like they had to compromise. Oh, and every table gets a basket of fry bread with honey butter....absolutely fantastic.

Pros: Delicious, Not your standard menu, Menu clearly marked for vegetarians

Return to Bellingham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Pepper Sisters closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2555 times since May 2009.