First Review by trippinvegan

Incredible - Edit

There were many vegan options and my chocolate cherry ice cream was delicious! It didn't "taste vegan" at all. The vegan whipped cream was fabulous too. The decor was very cute and fun too. My only complaint is that the staff who helped us seemed very apathetic and not friendly.

Pros: Great food , Nice decor

Cons: Apathetic staff

Love at First Lick - Edit

I am not one for sweets. I never eat dessert, I never seek out bakeries. While visiting Durham a couple weekends ago, I stopped into the Parlour after seeing that there was hardly a line. I had heard that the chocolate was amazing, so I figured I would treat myself. I sampled all the vegan flavors but when I tasted the Strawberry Basil, I was in heaven. I am a fruit person, for sure. The strawberry basil was perfect. My partner and I were basically fighting over each bite of the small we shared. Our biggest mistake was not getting a larger flavor....or just deciding not to share.

Pros: Flavors, More than 1 flavor, Location

Cons: None!

Vegan coconut ice cream - Edit

Vegan coffee cookie & cream ice cream! Do I need to say more?:-) They also have a few other vegan flavors usually- ice cream & sorbet, also baked goods( always get those blondies!).
Also a few days ago they hosted their first pre-Thanksgiving vegan dinner which was scrumptious! Puff pastry shell stuffed with seitan roast was a definite winner. I hope they will continue with vegan pop up events.

Vegan ice cream and baked goods! - Edit

The Parlour has at least one vegan ice cream available plus sorbets. They also usually have a couple of vegan baked goods in the bakery case! Everything I have ever tried there has been wonderful. I highly recommend the vegan blondie or pumpkin cake with chocolate chips.

Pros: Always vegan options when I've gone

Cons: Dairy ice cream and treats also served, Parking

Vegan ice cream cones? Yes Please! - Edit

So great to be able to walk into an ice cream shop (in downtown Durham!) and be able to order up a scoop or two of vegan ice cream on a (vegan) waffle cone. Not to mention the delicious shakes! Perfect thing to do on a warm spring or summer evening.
They are committed to offering at least one or more vegan options daily. The standards seem to be vegan chocolate and some sort of sorbet, but often they have more creative options like mocha chip (my favorite), or chocolate girl scout mint, toasted coconut, or coconut mocha.
Many of the toppings are vegan too (their menu is clearly labeled).
The lines are sometimes long, but it is so worth the wait.
On Wednesdays they usually offer up some sort of vegan dessert like cake or cookies (and often still available on Thursday too).
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 26, 2013

Pros: deliciously creamy vegan ice cream, vegan cones!, friendly staff

Cons: too few vegan flavors, long lines, noisy (but go outside, by the Bull)

VERY Happy I Went Back! - Edit

I wrote previously about a slightly disappointing experience at The Parlour. Basically, a long wait, only two not-so-great vegan flavors, left disappointed.

I contacted them via Facebook, and they immediately responded with explanations, apologies, and an offer to give me whatever I wanted on the house.

So I went back today (about a month after the first try), and they did not disappoint. I ordered the chocolate coconut milkshake (with almond milk), and it was FANTASTIC.

Their vegan options are still limited, but I so appreciate their effort and the quality of the product. They are also so very nice, so I also appreciate their kindness. And they are super savvy business-wise, because by comping me that one milkshake, they've earned a (probably frequent) repeat customer.

If you're a vegetarian, you'll have lots of options, so go for it! If you're a vegan, just call ahead to make sure they have a flavor you want, and go as soon as you can. You will NOT be disappointed.

(Updated from previous review on Thursday April 18, 2013)

Pros: DELICIOUS vegan milkshakes!, Small, local business, Courteous staff/owners

Cons: Very limited vegan selection

Return to Durham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Parlour closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1101 times since Jun 2011.