The Owlery

Contact 812-333-7344

118 W Sixth St, Bloomington, Indiana, USA, 47404

Vegetarian restaurant; relocated from S Rogers St. Vegan choices might include lasagna, tofu chicken, tempeh and vegetarian meatballs. Sunday is brunch. Hosts art shows, acoustic music, and poetry reading. Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-3:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American

First Review by LauraBaker

Charming location with awesome poutine! - Edit

Better poutine than the Chicago Diner serves! While the seating could be a little more comfortable, the menu choices were fun and the pierogies were delicious. I didn't love the mac'n'cheese, which was too noochy, bug I'll be checking this place out again for sure. There's a lot I would love to try.

Simply amazing - Edit

This place is great! It baffles me that they aren't all-vegan, when they have so few non-vegan items.

The flavor and quality of the food is very good, and you get a LOT of food. I eat a lot, but I had to ask for a box to take some of it with me.

We shared the biscuits & gravy and This American Brunch. Both were great and had a lot of food. Great experience.

Pros: No meat, Good food

Cons: Portions overly-generous

So good, we went twice in one day! - Edit

I could not wait to eat here during a trip to Bloomington, and was not disappointed! For lunch we started off with the poutine (swapped in vegan cheese) and thoroughly enjoyed it until the sogginess set in, but I guess you'll have that with poutine. I ordered the bbq seitan sandwich, and I believe husband got the tempeh reuben. I was thoroughly in love with my bbq sandwich. For dinner, husband ordered the pierogis with various toppings, and I had the fish (tofu) tacos. We both liked our lunch selections better, but still devoured dinner, because tacos and pierogis! This is the only place I've seen offer vegan pierogis so far. We cannot wait for another trip to B-Town so we can go back!

Pros: bbq seitan, vegan pierogis, owl decor

Cons: So far away

Good food. Decently priced. - Edit

Recently went for the first time and I'll go back for sure. Get the poutine! I had a tofu BLT that I really liked a lot. The non-veg husband had grilled cheese. He didn't like it because it had spinach in it. :) But it looked good to me. The menu is heavy on the fake meat stuff("bbq sandwiches" "Philly cheesesteak" type of things). I don't eat that at home a lot. But it's a nice option when eating out.

They also have a decent beer selection, I had cider on tap the day I was there.

Pros: good selection, decently priced, vegan options

yummy!! - Edit

We went here for Sunday brunch. We were just riding through and a little research led me to The Owlery. If you are in or near Bloomington you must stop by. I had the tofu scramble which was tasty. My husband had the basic American breakfast. The pancake was better than any I have had. We will definitely be back on our next ride through.

Really nice place - Edit

This eatery has the atmosphere of a student restaurant, but on a relatively higher side. The atmosphere is relaxed, the decor is simple, and the food is simple but good. The have tasty sandwiches and similar fare, with plenty of vegan and gluten free options. Portions are once sized, and the prices are reasonable.

Pros: tasty food, good price and portions

Cons: not fancy or gourmet

Great food, OK Service - Edit

The service is really hit or miss here, but they make up for it with the food.

Everything is pretty tasty. I recommend getting a side of mayo for dipping your fries - and if you get sweet potato fries I recommend getting a side of buffalo sauce.

It's great that non-veg people love the Olwery too!

One thing to be careful about is to be very clear if you want vegan cheese. The default is dairy and it sucks to have to send something back. If you're not sure if something comes with cheese (for example, I didn't know the chicken parmesan sandwich would have cheese, I didn't specify, and had to send it back because it had dairy).

So when in doubt, mention vegan cheese.

Pros: All vegetarian

Cons: Hit or miss service, serves dairy cheese on accident a lot

I love it so much, I have the T-shirt - Edit

The Owlery is so good. The decor is super cute and the food is delicious veg comfort food (with plenty of gluten free options). The poutine seems to be a big hit, and I found it to be quite tasty. I had the BLT on gluten free bread and it was really good. Also, they have beer on tap!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Beer on tap

Vegan Heaven - Edit

I could go on for days about how much I love this restaurant. My husband, daughter and I eat here at least twice a week and we always have a hard time deciding what to order because everything on the menu is amazing. There is a lot of fried/ comfort food, but there are healthier options too. My favorite dinner item is the Grilled Tempeh Chimichurri.
The Fish & Chips are ridiculous: brilliant and delicious. They make everything. If you order a BLT it is a thin pressed piece of tofu with their fantastic flavoring, not some premade mock meat. It is incredible. Any "chicken" is a seasoned, breaded tofu that my husband has been trying to replicate at home for months. The ranch dressing... They need to sell it by the bottle. I beg for the recipe pretty often.
Brunc,. I hesitate to mention it. We already get their before they open so we don't have to wait for a table. I make pretty good tofu scramble, but theirs is amazing. I look forward to it all week. The pancakes are a buttery masterpiece. The fried potatoes are wonderful. My husband loves their biscuits and gravy.
Nearly every time I am there I see someone who is not veg express surprise and enjoyment over their meal. It makes me so happy to see a restaurant opening people's minds and palates to vegetarian food.
You have to leave room for dessert. The cupcakes by Lisa of Rainbow Bakery, are the most delicious, creative and beautiful dessert you have ever tasted. They would fool any non-vegan. I thought Sticky Fingers in DC was the pinnacle of vegan cupcakes. Lisa seriously puts them to shame. If the Salted Carmel or Coconut Basil are available, buy them!
I adore the staff. They are all such kind, helpful people.
My omnivore friends and family really enjoy eating here too. We always bring our out of town visitors.
I am moving in a couple months and when I think of leaving The Owlery behind, it nearly brings me to tears. This place is a gem. It has been the best part of living in Bloomington.

Now I want their Fried Tomato BLT and some sweet tea!

Pros: Amazing Food, Great variety, creative specials, CUPCAKES!

Cons: None, I can't eat there everyday

Good food and Good Service - Edit

Drove the hour from Columbus IN to Bloomington this last Sunday and had a great meal with the family. My son and tofu chicken fingers with buffalo sauce which he enjoyed but didn't like the thick breading as much (he's 4) Wife had the Rueben which was divine. I had the BLT which was very good but I think I'll try the cheesesteak next time. We also shared a cob salad and stole some of our son's buffalo sauce which really set of the salad. Had lots of left overs but it was oh so good. We plan to come back again.

Pros: Atmosphere, Choices, Kid's Menu

Cons: long drive

GREAT! - Edit

The Owlery has a vast menu that is constantly evolving! Every item can come in a vegan option! The atmosphere is awesome, and the service is great! I highly recommend their reuben, Coconut Macadamia Tofu
,as well as the Cheesesteak!

GO TO THE OWLERY!

Pros: Great service, Atmosphere, Everything is delicious

Heavy on meat substitutes but still really goid - Edit

Title says it all about the food. I recommend the meatless Ruben or the perogies. I love the condiments u can get with the perogies

The services and costumers are friendly and more enlightened than the normal. The crowd seems almost a bit hipster but definitely cool.

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly service, Convenient location

Cons: Not too many dishes without meat substitutes

Great food and atmosphere! - Edit

I was fortunate enough to participate in the "soft opening" at the Owlery, in the very first group of patrons. The line stretched down the street, and the staff handled the stress of such a large turnout quite impressively. The menu includes a nice variety of foods, and almost everything can be made vegan. We had the tofu bbq ribs appetizer with a vegan ranch sauce, and they were delicious. You receive 4 ribs for a good price; it's not too much food to fill you up, and whets your appetite for the main dish to come. I saw several orders of the coconut tofu appetizer on their way to other tables, and I look forward to trying them next time! I was certainly tempted by many of the entrees on the menu, but opted for a sandwich. I had the reuben, and my partner had the Philly cheeze steak; we both ordered french fries as our side. The reuben was just plain awesome, and the french fries were quite good (the server brought me a side of vegan ranch for dipping on request.) The sandwich was quite filling and I had trouble sharing it with my partner, as we had planned to do; I wanted it all to my self. His cheeze steak was good, and the seitan had a unique taste to it (tasted like it was flavored with cloves, perhaps.) While the cheeze steak was certainly good (and a hefty portion) I think I made the better choice with the reuben. The service was good despite the fact that the place was packed full, and it didn't take very long to receive our food. We were too full for dessert, but they had some tasty vegan options, which we'll have to check out in the future. Overall, I was quite impressed with The Owlery. I love the space, the atmosphere, and the menu. I live an hour away, but plan to make many trips back, and I hope they do well. They certainly seem to care about and take seriously the food they serve, and I look forward to becoming a regular patron. Definitely give this place a try; it's by far the best vegan dining experience I've had in Bloomington.
Updated from previous review on Sunday April 03, 2011

Pros: tasty food, varied menu, good price

Cons: not 100% vegan

Return to Bloomington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Owlery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4077 times since Mar 2011.