The Owl House

Contact 585-360-2920

75 Marshall St (at Monroe), Rochester, New York, USA, 14607

Serves meat, vegan options available. A small, intimate, and hip setting. Booths and a bar inside. Made-from-scratch food. Has vegan mozzarella sticks, a smoked tofu sandwich, lentil burger, hummus and roasted veggies sandwich, and salads. Tue-Sun 11:00am-4:00pm, Tue-Sun 5:00pm-10:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Carlee

Owl House - Edit

A very nice restaurant in an old house that has great food. A great place to take a vegan/vegetarian to for a "nice" dinner. It's great that they have meals for both vegans and meat-eaters... both would be happy here. Haven't had breakfast here, but the menu looks great and am looking to go soon!

Always delicious - Edit

I've been to The Owl House a couple of times and have loved my meal at every visit. On my most recent visit, I ordered the vegan BLT which comes with vegan garlic mayo, tempeh bacon, and arugula on grilled sourdough bread. It was a huge sandwich but absolutely delicious!

Although I didn't order it, the dessert special was a vegan, gluten-free chocolate covered pretzel cheesecake. Very tempting! I was told it was made by Scratch Bakeshop.

Lots of great cocktails and beers are available too! Enjoy one on their patio in the warmer months!

Pros: Excellent food, Great service, Large selection of adult beverages

Cons: Not entirely vegan, Can be busy on Friday and Saturday night

Always delicious - Edit

I've been here quite a few times, and the food is always amazing. My favorite item is the chickpea burger with vegan mayo. They make their own ketchup and it's fantastic. It's not an all-vegan place, but there are tons of delicious vegan options, and the staff is great about accommodating to your needs. Most if not all of their desserts as far as I know are vegan, but they'll tell you what is/isn't. Sitting out on the patio is a must!

Pros: Great food, Friendly service, LOTS of vegan options

Asian BBQ Tofu = YUM - Edit

This place has a good number of vegan or veganizeable options. We shared Buffalo Cauliflower with vegan aioli which was well-made (I just don't like buffalo sauce in general) & I had Asian BBQ Tofu with corn cake for my entree which was delicious - a great mix of flavors & nice presentation (in medium size portion).
Judging from the description & other reviews here, I assume they change the menu frequently as I didn't see most of the items mentioned (on Nov 28, 2014).
Wait staff was nice & knowledgeable about vegan options.

Pros: Vegan Options, Tasty, House Atmosphere

Cons: Expensive

Wanted to love it :( - Edit

My boyfriend and I were so excited to try this place. This was back in April so I'm hoping we just went on a bad night. I had the seitan meatball sub and he had the Oleks Buffalo Stance. I took three bites into mine before realizing there was hardly any seitan on it - bummer to pay $9 for bread and sauce. His portion was much better, but the tempeh was barely cooked. The sandwich was pretty much a log of tempeh brushed in buffalo sauce. Anyways, hope your luck is better. I hear the brunch is good, so maybe well give them a second shot someday.

Pros: Friendly, quaint

Cons: Small portions

What a find! - Edit

Another great find, while traveling, for a restaurant with a vegan menu. Thank you Happy Cow!! Had the lentil burger. Just great! Will definitely go again when in the Rochester area.

Pros: great choices, reasonable prices

Cons: none

My favorite restaurant - Edit

I love this place. Vegan friendly. With options for my vegetarian daughter and meat eating husband and children. Food is made to order, so don't expect if out in five if even ten minutes. Would love to see humane certified eggs offered.

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Great atmosphere , Wonderful staff

Cons: Parking can be tricky, Would love more options/ bigger menu, Many fried options

Hands down amazing! - Edit

Want vegan desert? Check. Want a wide selection of vegan sandwiches? Check. Vegan Appetizers? Mmmm check. Entrees? Oh yes! The Owl House has it all! I have never been disappointed with food I have ordered from the Owl House. My favorite selections include the Vegan Cigarillos, Olek's Buffalo Stance, and the Vegan Cake. A must visit for Rochesterians and visitors alike! Reservations are recommended for weekend nights and holidays, but, good news! You can reserve through Open Table! Yippee!

Pros: Out of this world Food, Excellent Staff, Intimate, fun Restaurant

Super yummy food, crazy delicous cocktails! - Edit

We traveled to Rochester for a concert and stopped into The Owl House around 4ish for dinner... unfortunately they close their kitchen between lunch and dinner so we sat at the bar until they re-opened their kitchen at 5 for dinner. Their cocktails were amazing... we had a hot apple apple cider with house infused vanilla vodka which was perfect for a fall afternoon and we had their edamame appetizer which was delicious. Once the kitchen was owner we each had a different vegan sandwich (there were three of us)... my hubby has the lentil burger, I had the pesto veggie melt, and my friend had another vegan sandwich but I can't remember the name of it but it was delicious. Really original menu... very vegan friendly and great drinks.

Pros: Great food, good vibe, Super friendly staff, ReasonSuper friendly staffable prices

Cons: The for the kitchen to reopen

The Owl House experience - Edit

When using happy cow to find a local veg-friendly place, this one sounded interesting. Pulling up to this place, it is located in a house. Walking in the atmosphere is fun and unique.
There are daily specials, my visit here was with someone that is not vegan but willing to go for me. The specials caught his attention with the Pineapple ginger soup. The standard menu and specials had standard, vegan and gluten-free options. My friend got the soup, which was delicious, and the Olek buffalo sandwich, his first adventure with tempeh. The appetizer special and my sandwich were really good. There is dining downstairs by the bar, upstairs and outside. The number of options for vegan, vegetarian , gluten-free and non-veg people is a great blend that everyone can walk away happy.
For a non-veg restaurant almost most items can be vegan easily and options listed as vegan and not. It is more a vegan restaurant with non-veg options.

Pros: Large options, Great food, Atmosphere

Cons: On street parking

great food - Edit

The food here is of exceptional quality! They do serve animal products here as well, but have a separate vegan menu. Laid-back dining style, menu is on their website. Service was great as well.

Pros: separate vegan menu, waiting staff friendly and veg knowledgable , food is among the best vegan food I've had

Cons: neighborhood is a little run down, they also serve animal products

have to go back. - Edit

My husband and I have had dinner here several times. Love the choices available for vegans. Love the cigarrillos and had a great drink cant remember the name but it was mase with freshly pressed apple cider, jamison, and cinnamon stick for garnish. Awesome autumn drink. Overall great selections and service

Pros: selections

Cons: space

Super yum - Edit

Tons of vegan options, their chefs really know how to combine flavors. I got the Saigon sandwich at the waiter's recommendation. It consisted of smoked tofu, pickled cucumber and carrot slices, baby arugula, cilantro-lime and onion marmalade, and roasted garlic vegenaise on a toasted baguette. Super yum! They also have raw options

Yum! - Edit

This restaurant was a very happy find-great food & service, wonderful ambiance. My husband had the vegan tacos, and I had their garbanzo balls- both were amazing. Tht chocolate mousse was tne finishing touch to a memorable meal. We will be back!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Good portions, Kid friendly

The Owl - Edit

I was so glad when The Owl opened! Finally an affordable, close to home restaurant where vegans/vegetarians have more choices than a side salad or steamed veggies! Very tasty, satisfying selections! Love the organic ginger-lime edamame, and the cigarillos (seitan and Daiya vegan cheese wrapped in flour tortillas fried crisp with Vegenaise)! The Paramount vegan B.L.T. was excellent! Everything was FRESH and it makes a difference! Intimate setting/decor and outside seating. Non-vegetarian choices too which makes it easy to go out to eat with non-vegetarian friends. But suggest they try a vegetarian option, and they will convert for sure! Located across the street from a natural food co-op, so lunch and grocery shopping in one convenient stop!

Pros: FRESH ingredients, So many choices, friendly staff

Cons: Seating area small/tight fit

Return to Rochester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Owl House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4682 times since Dec 2010.