The Original Pizza Cookery

Contact 818-887-4770

6209 Topanga Canyon Blvd (at Erwin St), Woodland Hills, California, USA, 91367

Serves meat, vegan options available. In June 2011, this pizzeria, which opened in 1975, started offering an extensive vegan menu. Vegan options include a variety of salads, pizzas (with two different vegan cheeses to choose from), sandwiches (chicken philly, veggie burger, vegan melted cheese), calzones and all the other typical Italian fare vegan-style. Also offers gluten-free dishes. Large space with private banquet room available.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Italian, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by Colinski

The Best Vegan Lasagna - Edit

We decided to come here while visiting from out of town and we were SOOOO glad we did. Everyone loves the food...I'd give this 5 stars if I could! The portions are gigantic!!! The vegan gluten-free "side salad" was huge and delicious! I had the vegan gluten-free lasagna and it was AMAZING!!! So big that it could be split or take half of it to go. The vegan tofu ricotta was tasty, as was the marinara sauce throughout the lasagna. My husband had the vegan chicken parmesan sandwich and he thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a great place to take non-vegans as well. We went with my in-laws and brother-in-law and they all loved their meal. Save some room and go to Tutti Fruitti next doors and get some vegan soft serve after your meal (on the day I went, they had peanut butter- yum!!!).

Pros: Vegan Gluten-Free Lasagna, Vegan pizza and calzones, Huge portions

Cons: A bit pricey, No location in Las Vegas :(

Yummy - Edit

Had this on my list to visit because of the vegan cheese/garlic rolls. We have a great pizza place in Boca Raton, Fl that uses daiya cheese, but we don't have vegan rolls. The pizza was very good, but the rolls were off the chart. Had a great salad that we shared with 5 people, and we still had leftovers.

I also ordered the sauce from their new oil-free menu. Next time will order something vegan from that menu.

would have given 5, but not allowed since they also serve meat.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Excellent Food! - Edit

Went there today for the first time with my sister and had a great time. The vegan options on the menu were plentiful and clearly marked. I had the Margherita pizza with Daiya cheese and it was very good. Even my non veg sister really enjoyed the vegan meatball sub. Everything tasted great and there was even vegan rolls and butter available upon request. Plus the service was friendly and helpful.

Pros: nice vibe, sawdust floors, yummy

Cons: big portions (not necessarily bad)

nice place - Edit

For Vegan Pizza Day, we finally went to check out Pizza Cookery. So glad we did. Their interior is vintage with sawdust on the floor. Their menu has two whole pages of vegan items so it took us awhile to decide. While we waited, we were served vegan cheesy garlic rolls with Earth Balance that were fantastic and right out the oven. For a pizza, we got a large with two different custom halves. On one side was artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic. On the other side, fresh tomatoes, basil, olives and meatballs. Both tasty. We also got calzones to take home for later: a Southwestern BBQ and a smoked chicken, jalapeno and mushroom. The service was very attentive and friendly as well. We are looking forward to our next visit.

Pros: large vegan menu, nice atmosphere, easy parking

Cons: serves meat and dairy

Everything Vegans Want in a Pizza - Edit

I finally picked up a pie tonight from their Encino location after an appointment nearby. It was 6:30 and pretty quiet when I arrived and I was able to snag a meter on the side street easily. I told them I was vegan at the counter and was promptly handed the vegan menu with a smile and even given suggestions on toppings by the lovely woman behind the counter. I was very hungry so I ordered a medium for my husband and I with whole wheat crust, Daiya cheese, vegan pepperoni, sausage, artichokes and roasted red peppers. While I waited, the place started filling up with families and couples. Everyone was greeted warmly and seated right away. My pie came out steaming and heavier than expected. A nice man (the owner, manager?) even helped me shove it in my insulated Trader Joe's bag so it would stay hot on the way home. It arrived safely and was well worth the wait. It had to be one of most delicious pizzas we had ever eaten. My husband kept stopping between bites to say, "This is really good pizza!" The crust itself was a masterpiece. It was medium thickness with a crisp bottom and a chewy-yet-crispy side crust that even had those lovely "crust bubbles" not often found in whole wheat crusts. The sauce was a little bit spicy, a little bit sweet and it was just the right amount to go with the cheese, which wasn't overly glopped on. The sausage was perfectly sizzling without being too dry and had a nice, slightly spicy flavor with even a few authentic fennel seeds. I appreciated that the red peppers and artichokes were sliced thin and melted in our mouths. I could have done without the pepperoni, but it wasn't bad or anything, just not that flavorful. I'm guessing it was Yves brand. I had asked the lady behind the counter if she knew what brand they used before I ordered it but she didn't know. I didn't really care; I was just curious, so I let it go. Anyway, the pizza had all the elements I was looking for: crispy, chewy, melty, spicy, a little sweet, a little salty and not too greasy. And we have enough left over for lunch tomorrow. Yay! Can't wait to go back and try their baked vegan eggplant.

Pros: many vegan options, delicious pizza, whole wheat crust

Vegan food tasting event June 2011 - Edit

This Italian restaurant held a complimentary vegan tasting recently to introduce their very extensive new vegan menu. Lots of hungry vegans enjoyed the array of delicious dishes they offered!! I will be back!!

Pros: Nice decor, Good food, Huge variety

Finally - Edit

The decor is interesting to say the least and it is a bit loud, but it was fun and the waitress was knowlwdgeable and very attentive. The food was amazing if not a bit pricey. We had a small Vegetarian Deluxe pizza, comes with tomato, mushroom, green bell pepper, onion, and black olives...they had no problem substituting fresh garlic for green pepper, base price is $15.75+$2.25 for vegan cheese and and additional $1.75 for extra toppings the prices go up with the size of the pie so you can see how it can add up quick. Price aside the pizza was great, not greasy at all, lots of veg, and very fresh tasting sauce. The free vegan garlic rolls were the highlight of the meal, piping hot fresh from the oven filled with vegan cheese and garlic oil. We also had a side salad $6.75, big enough to split with extra to go home, the vegan honey mustard dressing is delicious and I am not a big fan of honey mustard salad dressing so that is saying something. Definatly a place to stop if you are in the area. on a side note they also have vegan cookies, all natural, sugar free, sodium free, no artificial flavor, color, or sweetener root beer, twist, orange, black cherry, and cola as well as all natural organic lemonade, grape, and tropical punch. I had unsweetened ice tea, if you like lipton or sun tea you will like this

Pros: Vegan Options, Daiya Cheese, Super Friendly, Knowledgeable Staff

Cons: Price

Vegan Philly! - Edit

I ate here with a group of omnivores, who all shared a pizza. I got the vegan philly cheesesteak, which come with vegan chicken and Daiya cheese and was amazing comfort food. I haven't tried the vegan pizza but I'm sure it's greasy and delicious.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty, Good place to take an omni

Cons: Unhealthy (duh)

Return to Woodland Hills Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Original Pizza Cookery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1504 times since Jul 2010.