The Organic Cafe

Contact 661-948-9575

1973 West Ave L, Lancaster, California, USA, 93534

Serves meat, vegan options available. A family owned organic cafe. The menu consists of salads, wraps, sandwiches, soups, and smoothies. Offers a vegan burger pattie, vegan cheese, fruit smoothies and vegenaise. Current location since fall 2012; previously at 2031 W Ave K.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by cannonchick

Confused and disappointed - Edit

Normally, a restaurant with "organic" in its name would attract a lot of vegetarian and vegan people. Because of that, you would think that they would make sure to have a vegan, or at least vegetarian, soup everyday. Instead, they have a meat soup everyday and once or twice a week (and only sometimes) do they make a soup without the use of meat. A few weeks ago they had a Carrot Ginger soup that I was excited to try but it was made with chicken stock. Thank God, I asked before eating it. I haven't eaten meat or meat stock for 40+ years and that would have made me extremely ill. I was so excited when you opened. Now I am disappointed.

Pros: organic food, friendly wait-staff

Cons: no veggie soup, no unprocessed veggie patty

Limited vegan options. Vegan Bars are AMAZING! - Edit

We ordered the Veggie Panini. The only thing on the menu that specifically states it can be made vegan *vegan style with vegan cheese and Vegenaise. It also consists of avocado, roasted bell pepper, and red onions. It was good. Not great, but it wasn't bad. It was a little oily with a vegetable-tasting (as opposed to processed-tasting) patty. It came with a choice of three sides: Raw veggie sticks, quinoa salad, or garden salad. We chose the quinoa salad which was very "natural-tasting". It had very little seasoning on it without any dressing or sauce. Our friendly waitress included a little container of roasted cashews with our meal to satisfy since something or rather wasn't vegan? Anyway, we also ordered one of the apple juice based fruit blended drinks. It was a tad bit watered-down tasting but thick and satisfying. We also grabbed a generous-sized container of vegan bars? from their deli case on our way out. They taste amazing! We were told that they are very popular with vegans and non-vegans alike and how lucky we were lucky to nab the last one. They don't always make them but when they do, they sell out fast. I had low expectations from the looks of them but they taste incredible. They have brown sugar and oats with a raspberry filling. A coffee cake like flavor. I would go back if only for those!

Pros: At least one vegan option, Yummy dessert, Friendly service

Cons: Limited vegan options, Vegan option is just "pretty good", Vegan dessert bars not always available

Not really vegan friendly - Edit

I don't know if this place has changed recently, but the menu one has a few vegetarian options.

They are supposedly famous for their vegan cookie, but they were out of it both times I was there, one on a weekday, once on a Saturday. The first time they brought almond as a substitute. The second time the server brought a chocolate chip cookie and didn't even tell me it wasn't vegan! I asked and find out. (I had offered the vegan panini.) I heard the same thing happen at another table! I quietly told her that this was very bad business and she apologised.

The sandwich the first time was good...fresh veggies with vegan cheese and veganaise. The second time it included what looked like a home made patty...okay, but not on the menu. And no veganaise.

My husband had a beef sandwich that he didn't even bother to finish. He descibed the bread as that didn't stuff we stopped buying twenty years ago. Wonder bread with good dye?

Won't go back again.

The

Pros: one vegan sandwich

Cons: low quality bread, show service, not many veg choices

Return to Lancaster Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Organic Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2625 times since Jul 2011.