CLOSED: The Olde Depot

Contact 510-506-5904

468 3rd St (at Broadway), Oakland, California, USA, 94607

Serves meat, vegan options available. Eastern European and German inspired veg cuisine, along with more than 35 rotating taps of craft beer. Opened Mar 2013 in Jack London Square as vegan but reported no longer only vegan as of Aug 2013. SHUT DOWN IN DEC 2013 CONFIRMED BY ITS FB PAGE.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Take-out, German, Eastern European, Non-veg

First Review by Mimi710

Good beer, lousy food - Edit

I was excited to check this place out, given its billing as German / eastern European inspired fare. The beer menu is impressive with 36 options of a wide range of beers. Excellent. As a vegan, I like to support vegan restaurants of any stripe. I was envisioning potato salad, vegan sausages, delicious heavy breads, etc. Y'know, German inspired. Reality descended with a thud. The onion rings were nicely flavored but insanely greasy. The Cheese Steak I ordered was odd and not tasty. Couldn't finish it because of the strange flavor. The sandwich consisted of white puffy hoagy rolls, some sort of cheese looking orange goo and a weirdly flavored seitan. It came with a micro green salad that I stopped eating because it was drenched in a too-vinegary dressing. Probably the worst lunch I've had in years. Too bad. I really like supporting vegan places. If they change the menu drastically and figure out how to cook, I'll be back.

Pros: friendly staff, outside eating area, terrific beer selection

Cons: Over priced, gross food

What is there not to love about this place? - Edit

Oh my effing god, a vegan bar. I must have died and gone to alcoholic heaven. OK, to tell you the truth, I don't really love beer, but you know what? Totally ordered some when I was here because, heyyyy, vegan bar with all vegan beers. My beer-loving companion was well pleased with her choice.

The food menu, currently, is very small. I think they have just a few items each day and they are not always the same. I wanted to get the sliders they had on the menu but I was one customer too late. Should have arrived 10 minutes earlier, right? Instead, I got their veg chicken tacos and let me tell you, it is honestly the best veg chicken I ever ate. Carnists are missing the h-e double hockey stick out by eating crappy flesh instead of this stuff. Yes, it's truly excellent.

The bartender was really nice and the patrons were super good-looking. Vegans! We look so excellent. I even impress myself.

Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 03, 2013

Pros: it's a vegan bar!, the food was so great, vegans are good-looking

Cons: small menu currently, runs out of some food/beer, beer only

Yay! The Bay finally has a vegan bar! - Edit

I love that an organic vegan mini-mall is forming on 3rd Street. Take that Portland! ;) I've been here twice in the last two days and I love this place. I think this is going to be our go-to bar now. How can you go wrong with tasty craft beers and all vegan food to go with it? So far I have had the french fries, pierogies (they are fried so they look more like a empanada and not like the kind of pierogies I grew up with which were soft and more gyoza looking) and the housemade vegan currywurst. Next time I'll try the pretzel and potato salad of the day. I like their housemade sausage better than Rosamunde's. The texture and flavor is very impressive. They have 5 or 6 sausages, 4 different toppings and a selection of mustards and ketchups to choose from. There are also tasty/unique sauce combos to choose from to go with the fries as well. They are following a recent trend I've noticed of not boldly stating that your restaurant is vegan. I was trying to find someone nearby that didn't know their food was vegan to see if they were freaked out/annoyed by that, but I couldn't find any such person. Maybe next time. ;) Rumor has it they are going to have a vegan brunch sometime in the near future. Oh my! They have a small(ish... compared to Beer Revolution next door) but tasty selection of craft beers to choose from at good prices. And they are friendly. When I was there last night they ran out of the beer I wanted, so they gave me the last of their keg (about a half glass worth) for free and then suggested a comparable beer to get instead. Hopefully they run out of beer less as they figure out ordering levels, etc. They were really packed the last two nights which is exciting for such a new bar. Definitely check this place out. And then come back, again, and again, and again. I'm already day dreaming about my next trip there.

Pros: tasty food, it's an all vegan bar!, good prices

Return to Oakland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Olde Depot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 402 times since Mar 2013.