The Old Ha Noi Restaurant

11 Hang Be, Hang Bac, Hanoi, Vietnam

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant and bar near Hang Bac. Makes Vietnamese food and has a vegetarian section in the menu with mock meat dishes. Bamboo decor and balcony overlooking the street. Ask for vegan options. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by Miggi

Friendly restaurant - great for families - Edit

I headed into this restaurant the other day whilst walking around the Old Quarter with my family. We were seated upstairs in a cosy and beautifully decorated room with lanterns hangings from the ceiling. The rest of my family isn't vegan so they had the meat options, however I had one of the veggie options available on the menu which was grilled vegan pork in sweet and sour sauce with rice. along with lime juice. Everyone's dishes were served relatively quickly and mine was quite nice. This place is certainly a good place to go if you are with other people who may not necessarily be vegan as there are other options available. There is also a beautiful balcony on the second floor which customers have a choice of eating out at. I will most likely be returning again :) ... Also, the staff speak some English which is very convenient for tourists!

Updated from previous review on 2018-02-21

Pros: Several vegan options available on the menu, Nice comfy seating (cosy atmosphere), Served relatively quickly

Cons: Smoky smell inside restaurant (from cigarettes), More mock meat in the dish rather than vegetables, Only 4 vegan options on the menu

veganvirtues 21 Feb 2018 - Hi Vegan VM, Pity your pic of the vegetarian 3 dishes were a bit hard to read with the light splashed on it. I could read beef jerky (I take it it was fake 'beef'). Try Jalus Hang Trong or the two Minh Chay places. I don't really go for vegan option places. Was visiting the place for Happy Cow. That's why it didn't get the sticker.
Plenty vegan places in Vietnam I support. chúc mừng năm mới

The Old Hanoi Restaurant - Edit

I popped into this place today. I am disappointed a vegan had entered this on Happy Cow. There is nothing vegan about this place. I never saw the word vegan anywhere outside, inside or in the menu. It is a carni place. Vegan options I counted 5 different kinds of rice dishes! 5 different vegetables (as a dish)! I spoke to the manager about the menu. I had intended to take away something, but thought why spend my hard earned propping up a meaty place. The utensils used to cook would not be 'kosher' (same pots and pans for cooking dead animals as for cooking veggies. Uses MSG, dairy, eggs and sea creatures, pigs, chickens and cows. Didn't get the Happy Cow sticker of approval. Should not be promoted on HC. It is a place of miseries.

Cons: Too many to mention, Nothing vegan except (Vegetables)

VolleyMacaroni 21 Feb 2018 - Hi veganvirtues,
I visited this restaurant yesterday with my family incidintellay whilst we were walking around the Old Quarter. When I saw the menu there certainly was a vegan section which included dishes such as vegan bun (spring rolls with vermicelli), and a couple of other vegan dishes (stated on the menu) that either came with a side of steamed rice of potato fries. I ordered the grilled vegan sweet and sour pork with rice and it was reasonably nice. I was wondering whether you went to the same restaurant listed or they changed the menu after you left? I definitely suggest you visit the place again in that case. I have also taken a picture of the menu in case you wanted to see :)
Cheers :))

Veg-friendly in the old town - Edit

Opposite Aubergine on Hang Be, this bar-restaurant is decorated with bamboo and lanterns.
Indoor seating downstairs and upstairs with bamboo furniture. There is also a sheltered balcony area upstairs, from which you can see the brightly-lit lanterns out in the street.
Although they serve meat there was a good range of veggie and mock-meat dishes and the staff seemed aware.
We thought the prices reasonable for such a touristy area, and there don't seem to be many purely vegan cafes in this part of the town.

Pros: Choice of veg*an dishes, Well presented, nice environment to sit, view

Cons: Serves meat

2 Responses

veganvirtues 02 Jan 2017 - Hi, just a comment on vegan eateries in the Hoan Kiem area, there are 8 100% vegan. We should support them. Meaty places that offer 'vegan' options is NOT changing these places to move vegan. Happy Cow names many vegan places around Hoan Kiem. Jalus and Minh Chay (2) are three great places.

veganvirtues 05 Jan 2017 - Miggi what is 'veg*an'? I think you mean the american way of saying veg*n. We are VEGAN. not *. I see your a vegan, why are u promoting carni places with a few 'vegetables on their menu? We should be reviewing 100% vegan places and newly opened vegan places. A vegan worth his vegan soul would not eat in a carni place. Do you like sitting next to smokers? Do you like sitting next to carnis eating their dead animals on an aeroplane? Same smells dead corpse.

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Old Ha Noi Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.