The Old Co-Op

+44-1706-813737

29 Rochdale Road, Todmorden, England, OL14 7LA

A veggie cafe offering vegan food options. Live music Friday and Saturday nights. Formerly known as The Bear. Open Mon-Sat 9:30am-4:30pm, Sun 11:30am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine

First Review by greysquirrel

wholefoods - Edit

the first thing that strikes you about the old co-op is the space. a downstairs coffee bar with some deli style products for sale is huge, possibly underused. really nice looking
upstairs has lots of tables and huge windows offering fabulous light to the cafe. nice set up. a good size menu which personally I thought should have had more vegan options. I think it was less than half which for a veggie cafe is a little disappointing.
me wee girl had hummus and olives, which came with nice flatbread and was pretty tasty. my other half had a veggie burrito which she loved and thought was better than at a Mexican. I had the burger which wasn't warm enough and was a bit old school, and disappointing.
personally I was. on a three star review when we spotted the cake. chocolate and orange, and a peanut butter and banana. both these cakes were as good as I have had, outstanding. different flavours developing and really moist awesome.
a good lunch option but salads and mains could be improved so easily.

Pros: staff, cake, cake

Cons: vegan. too limited.

Late lunch - Edit

My son brought me here for an early Mothers day meal. Lovely cafe above a shop that sell veggie food, the food was lovely and the coffee delicious.
I live in Burnley but I will make more of an effort to come here for their delicious food and the shop.

Great Food and Shop - Edit

Love this place, relaxed atmosphere, plenty of tables, great food and nice location. Only downside - more of the cakes need to be veganised!

Pros: Great Food, Nice place, Good store

Cons: More vegan cake, Parking, Gets hot in summer

Nice lunch stop - Edit

I enjoyed lunch here when walking on the Pennine Way. I had sandwich and soup combo. Well-stocked health food store on ground floor.

Pros: lots of good choices for food & drinks, good location near train station & canal, comfortable

Love this place - Edit

I love this place. The shop downstairs is quirky and interesting with space to browse around comfortably. Fresh bread and fruit and veg are in abundance. Maybe they could try selling more stuff from their upstairs café as take-away items in the shop.
Walking up a magnificent twisting stairway at the back of the shop, past a full length mirror on the wall, you find a lovely, light and airy café.
I have eaten there a few times and find the food inventive, colourful and well presented. Above all, it's tasty and the portions are a decent size, representing excellent value for money. They really do seem to care about the quality and freshness of the food they sell, both in the shop and the café.

Pros: Foodie Heaven, Variery, quality and freshness

Quirky and cool - Edit

I visited the Bear today for the first time mainly after reading the positive reviews on here and i wasn't disappointed. The food was tasty and beautifully presented with good vegan options and the service was good. They had run out of some of the dishes but we were eating rather late on in the day and they are in process of changing to a new menu so all was forgiven. The shop downstairs is also worth a look!

Pros: Tasty, Good value, Pleasant surroundings

Cons: Some of menu unavailable

awsum sauce - Edit

great for shopping - has lots of scrummy treats as well as staples for everyday meals. Have yet to try the cafe as I'm pretty muh always steered to Costermonger a few places down - but it seems to offer vegan/veggie fayre even omnivores would enojoy! Great for me also as the ony other thing nearby is Holland and Barret....

Pros: choice of foods, friednly staff, healthy options

Cons: brands can be expensive, no parking, no jute bags etc

Yummy Food - Edit

I was very happy with my meal at The Bear cafe. Lots of choice for vegans served in an architecturally impressive building.

Pros: Good Food, Friendly staff, Good Value

A fine place to shelter.... - Edit

....from the Pennine rain. The cafe is upstairs in a beautiful old Co-op building, the food is good and unpretentious (it's a cafe not a restaurant)and prices low. The staff upstairs and down seem to be all women and they give you a friendly welcome. Great stuff.

Pros: Prices, Food, Atmosphere

Return to Todmorden Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Old Co-Op closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.