First Review by Karole

Was really hoping for more - Edit

Came in here hoping for lunch with my (vegan) mother and (carnist) grandmother. We didn't even sit down- the only thing on the menu for vegans was a chickpea/spinach curry I think, and my grandmother really wasn't overwhelmed either. I would NOT call the menu 1/2 vegetarian.

Perhaps helpful if you're on a lunch outing with a group of carnists and just want to ensure there's SOMETHING for you to eat, but otherwise, I'd give it a miss.

Cons: pitiful options, staff not particularly friendly

Welcoming - Edit

A relaxed informal atmosphere, and nice and quiet upstairs, the staff are friendly and the food is good quality and good value for money. Meat is served but there is always at least one vegan item. The jacket spuds are particularly good - hot and nice and crispy!

Pros: price, location, atmosphere

Cons: serves meat

Great for all diets. - Edit

The Nosebag is where I go whenever I am in Oxford, I have always been very well fed there as a vegetarian and so has my vegan mother and meat eating friends. It is informal and relaxed, the portions are good and the prices very reasonable. You can get very tasty vegan puddings and there are always a selection of salads to choose from.

Pros: Inexpensive , tasty food, good vegan options

Cons: Gets busy

Hearty food and portion sizes - Edit

I've been to the Nosebag a few times, and have always have a good meal. They generally label clearly what is vegetarian and vegan. I have always been able to get a vegan meal there. They have quite nice salads you can get with your main, and the desserts always look good too. The vegan pear crumble is AMAZING and sometimes I want to go there just for that.

The seating area is not very large, so it can get quite crowded around lunchtime. Service is cafeteria-style, with the menu on a chalkboard above the counter with the desserts and salads. You may be sharing your table with strangers but I've never found this to be a bad experience. When I've been there at dinner it's significantly quieter, which I prefer. All in all a good place to go for omnis and veg*ns.

Pros: Good food, LOTS of food, Veg*n options labeled

Cons: Crowded at lunch, Ordering system can be confusing

Return to Oxford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Nosebag Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3320 times since May 2011.