The Natural Cafe - Hitchcock Way

Contact 805-563-1163

361 Hitchcock Way, Santa Barbara, California, USA, 93105

Serves meat, vegan options available. Several locations in California. Extensive menu includes many vegetarian dishes: sandwiches, salads, pasta, smoothies, two veggie soup of the day (one of which is always vegan and usually gluten-free). You can ask to veganize many dishes using veganaise, etc. or by omitting dairy products. Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm Open on most holidays.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Fast food, Juice bar, Non-veg

First Review by jlautner

So-so: acceptably tasty, marginally healthful - Edit

All the Natural Café locations serve the same middle-of-the-road fare: nothing stellar, but plenty of OK options.

Our main complaint about the Natural Café, besides the fact that it serves meat and doesn't always get special orders right (e.g. vegan dishes without dairy, etc.), is that the food is neither remarkably flavorful nor remarkably healthful. It's perfectly acceptable and better than a restaurant that makes no effort to use healthful, natural ingredients, but that's about all we can say in praise of the food. They do not make a point of using organic produce, and a lot of the food is fattening, so though "natural" is in the name, that doesn't strongly equate with genuinely healthful food.

Put less delicately: the Natural Cafe serves food that tastes like "health food" but isn't in fact especially healthful.

That said, we still prefer it to most other restaurants in Santa Barbara because at least they do have some OK vegan options and at least they do make a minimal effort to use fresh and "natural" (though not organic) ingredients.

Recommended (though not very enthusiastically) are the tempeh tacos (order without cheese) and the "natural tamale" (order without sour cream).

In the end, if flavor is more important to you than the minimal attempt at "natural" cuisine, you might be happier with one of Santa Barbara's several veg*n-friendly Asian and Italian restaurants.

Pros: Several vegan options, minimally healthful

Cons: Serves meat, Not organic, Not especially tasty, on the whole

Beware Vegans - Edit

All the bread at the natural cafe' is not vegan it contains honey. The item I usually order the old town salad with out feta cheese and tahini with grilled tofu, the soup is really good and I usually get it with out bread. What I get is really good and recommended but be careful of the employees will tell you all the burgers are vegan which is technically true but they forget to tell you about the bread. I ate there for years thinking it was vegan so bummed I was lyed to.

Pros: Fresh Food, Good Tofu

Cons: Expensive , Not much vegan food

A lot of choices for veg people - Edit

I have been to several Natural Cafes, many times to the one closest to me - San Luis Obispo. I just tried this one last Monday. I cannot resist the sauteed tofu here, even when I am trying to reduce the amount of fat in my diet. It is just not to be missed. The restaurant is large, airy, has a nice outdoor patio (dog-friendly perhaps?). As with the other Natural Cafes, you order at the counter, then find a seat and wait for your food to come to you. There are more veg choices here than there are meat, which makes this cafe stand out in my opinion. You can also get sides to make up a meal that meets your dietary needs - brown rice & steamed veggies, for example. I always enjoy eating here.

This location has the advantage of being on the way out of town for me, not caught in the downtown parking dilemma.

Pros: attractive restaurant, good food, earth-conscious

Cons: not all vegetarian

Return to Santa Barbara Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Natural Cafe - Hitchcock Way closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1666 times since Aug 2007.