The Naam

604-738-7151

2724 W 4th Ave (at Kitsilano district), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada,

Vancouver vegetarian restaurant offering a mostly vegan menu, with dishes ranging from breakfast burrito and pancakes with potatoes to stir fry tofu & veggies; has vegan cheese. Jan 2016 reported menu has been updated to indicate which items are vegan and which few items use honey. Hosts live music most nights. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Western

First Review by CherryCritter

Terrible food and not vegan friendly - Edit

My boyfriend and I went here for lunch yesterday. There was a line up out the door when we got there and after hearing such good things about this place we had high expectations. I ordered the naam dragon bowl and he got the tempeh reuben with daiya cheese. However, when they brought us the food we discovered that the tempeh reuben had real cheese and my dish was not the naam dragon bowl but some other bowl that was covered in dairy cheese. As a vegan, this was extremely disgusting and ruined any appetite I had. They did quickly replace my dish with the correct one but even that was unimpressive. It consisted of steamed veggies, rice, unmarinated plain tofu, and very little sauce. It was extremely bland. The salad that came with the reuben was similar to a bagged salad from the grocery store with mostly iceberg lettuce. After getting both of our orders wrong the waiter then complained about not getting a tip. What did he expect? This place is way over rated and I'm sure anyone could make better food at home.

Cons: Bland food, Not vegan friendly, Often long line ups

My favourite place! - Edit

I can't say enough positive things about the NAAM. I went on my birthday and they give you a discount of the age you are turning, so wonderful! The service is always wonderful but painfully slow. Be sure to carve out a good 2-3 hours of you are planning to go at dinner time. I'm not put off by this at all, just know what you're getting into. I also would highly suggest against modifying a vegetarian meal to be vegan at a busy time. They might mess it up because it does get really busy, I just order the meals marked with a V and a slower times (like 3am.... yes I go there at that time quite frequently) it's totally okay to substitute. The portions are huge and the food is really good. Wonderful vibe and I wish this place would go full vegan.

Busy at Midnight! - Edit

I went there at midnight for an event with Meatless Meetup and there was a lineup. Need I really say more?

The large menu, large quantities, reasonable prices, 24 hour opening time and comfortable, homey atmosphere make this place Vancouver's most popular veggie hangout.

It seems fashionable to complain about the Naam's service. I have been dozens of times and the service was no worse than most other busy places. The servers were always helpful when there was anything wrong with a dish.

People regularly complain about the food. In fairness, some of the dishes should have been improved years ago, but why bother when there are lineups at midnight? There are numerous delicious options on their very large menu waiting to be discovered. My recommendation would be to always order a variety of dishes and share.

Pros: Large portions, Great atmosphere, Open 24 hours

Cons: Lineups, Crowded

Love/Like - Edit

I want to love this place more. It is open 24 hrs a day, the portions are ridiculous, they have an odd varied menu, and they are a neat place to hang out. I just find that every time I come here, I always leave feeling ok not amazed. The food is decent just seems to be lacking in a bit of WOW factor. I do enjoy the atmosphere and where else can you get 2AM nachos that are vegan? It was right up the street from favourite tea shop and where we were staying though so that's a plus. I'll continue coming here in the future.

Pros: Open 24hrs, Varied menu, Huge portions

Cons: Tables always seem sticky, Always busy regardless of time, Food just ok

Delicious, filling nutritious food! - Edit

The Naam is my go to place for vegan goodness as it is open 24 hrs...and the food never fails to impress me. The fries with the miso gravy are always a hit with my friends. The service here is not bad, sometimes it can be a bit of a wait as it can get super busy here. Love the energy here and will definitely return :)

Pros: Open 24 hours, Delicious food!, Lots of options

Cons: Longer wait times during busy hours, Not in a central location

Great vegan breakfast! - Edit

We're from the prairies, so a good vegan breakfast option can be hard to find. Whenever we're in Vancouver, we make a point of visiting the Naam as often as we can! The staff are very knowledgeable about how to make each item vegan (hold this, add that, etc.) and the prices are very reasonable for how much food you get! While their miso gravy wasn't always vegan, they've changed the recipe and removed the honey (rejoice!). It can get quite busy, but staff are good at managing the crowds and providing quick and efficient service. Definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Delicious food , Knowledgeable servers , Cute interior

Cons: Busy , Tight seating arrangements

Healthy Comfort Food - Edit

So...when we arrived there was a short line which moved quickly and the hostess did a great job turning over tables, we were seated as soon as a table opened up. The waiter smiled but his attitude was tepid, possibly because he was so busy. We ordered chili as an appetizer and it took a half an hour to arrive, it tasted okay but was luke warm and then the entrees came 2 minutes later. One of us ordered the "vegan plate" which was a big mistake. It was just a lack lustre plate of steamed veggies on brown rice, very bland, unless you're a fan of hospital food I recommend literally anything else. My Crying Tiger bowl was very good and it arrived hot, the Thai Coconut flavour was on-point. For dessert we had the Shakti Chocolate carrot cake.....meh, we were disappointed it had raisins although it does mention on the menu they can't list every ingredient, whatever. Sadly they were all out of the apple crisp so I settled for the apple-cranberry pie, it was quite tasty, the crisp was probably better. My mother who is not vegan had "whipped cream" on her pie...pretty sure it was whipped milk blech, why not just call it what is? I know it's less fat and healthier than full fat cream but if she'd known she would have just left it off. Overall the food was good, just like homemade. I would def give it another go...maybe late at night, being open 24/7 gets big points with me. I also feel like need to try that apple crisp! Bottom line: if you're in the neighbourhood at 3am and you want healthy vegan comfort food, this place would be like heaven on earth.

Pros: Open 24/7, Variety, Large Portions

Cons: Service is So-So, Food was Luke Warm

New review for a new vegan friendly naam! - Edit

A lot of the negative reviews are from a few years ago, but I invite vegans to come back, because mostly everything on the menu can be made vegan! I've went twice this year, both times I got amazing food. The quantities are HUGE, enough to be quite stuffed and bring home leftovers. I've had the reuben tempeh burger, with fries and miso gravy and it also came with their salad which was fresh and yummy. I also had the vegan breakfast burrito, was HUGE and smothered in melted daiya and had some sausage in it. Their shakti raw cake is what dreams are made of. My only complaint is their home fries (breakfast potatoes) are a bit bland.

Pros: huge portions, great food, amazing deserts

Cons: very very busy

better than expected - Edit

We were warned about the service here before coming, and were pleasantly surprised today. Food was tasty, atmosphere was very pleasant and hostess & server were friendly and responsive. The wedge fries with miso gravy and cheese were delicious! Better as their own dish than in the golden bowl.

fave - Edit

The Naam will always be one of my fave restaurants in van city

Good food, long wait, not so good service - Edit

The food is very tasty, but it takes forever to arrive. Try to avoid going from 12-2 and 6-9. Also, the servers tend to be very busy and often impatient.

Pros: Good food. , Decent portions.

Cons: Slow service. , Cramped seating.

Absolutely Delicious! Worth the Wait! - Edit

My vegetarian friend and I went here on my last night in Vancouver, which is probably a good thing, because I would want to eat every meal here! There was quite a line, but it moved reasonably fast - the staff is very efficient! We started with a sort of potato wedge poutine (daiya cheese and miso gravy), and it was beyond good! We also both ordered their burger with a few extra fixings and we were extremely satisfied! What flavour! Needless to say, some anticipated leftovers were carried away that night. I will definitely come back next time I'm in Vancouver!

Pros: Vegan options clearly marked , Delicious and satisfying , Reasonably Priced

Cons: Slightly lengthy wait time

Hands down favourite restaurant - Edit

The Naam has been my favourite restaurant even since I was a carnivore. I've probably had almost every vegan option on the menu, and I can honestly say they all rank a good 10/10. So much flavour, large portions all for a very reasonably price.

Pros: everything

Good food - Edit

My husband and I went here this morning. The portions were large, the area was nice and the people were friendly. I wished the tofu scramble had slightly more salt and the potatoes more flavor. The vegan pancakes were great as was the almond milk latte! My husband loved his egg hash breakfast.

Poor service. Long waits. - Edit

We had to join a long line to get a table, but worse than this was the wait we had to get the food after ordering. It was almost an hour before we got our food! The server never apologized or offered any explanation as to why we had to wait so long.
The food itself was reasonable, although not very warm. Although we have been to The Naam before and put up with the mediocre service, this time was the worst and we will not be going there again.

Pros: Good choice of menu

Cons: Bad service, Long waits, Lukewarm food

Blahyuck - Edit

Food not good. Steamed veggies were overdone with no seasoning, overwhelmingly tangy miso gravy ruined everything they smothered it over. I take that back. The stuff they smothered it over was bland by itself. The vegan steak was smashed down hash brown style nuts, seeds, and veggies with poor flavor. The thai bowl had a bland sauce. The noh banana nut date cream pie had an OK crust but I could not eat the filling. The oatmeal raisin cookie was very hard, as if it was over a week old. Bottom line, neither of us had one good item. The site is not letting me go below 2 cows. I rate it one, only because the service was ok.

Pros: Open 24 Hours, Live Evening Entertainment

Cons: Every Food Item Was Poor

24 Hour Vegetarian Restaurant, Average Food - Edit

It was a raining Vancouver night, and after my friend and I got off to a bit of a late start searching for a veg place to eat. Most veg restaurants close by 9PM in Vancouver, so we were delighted to find a veg restaurant that is open 24 hours a day.

The line was quite long when we arrived at 9:15PM on a Wednesday, but the wait was only about 5 minutes.

The decor in the restaurant is very comforting, and has a small-town rustic cafe feel. The servers were very helpful in explaining which items were the most popular, and which dishes could be made vegan.

The only issue I had this this restaurant was the food quality. I ordered the tempeh reuben, and it was average at best. When I am in any city and see a tempeh or vegan reuben available on a menu, I order it.

Unfortunately, this reuben will go down as one of the worst I have had. It was dry, and lacked flavor. I ordered a double fudge chocolate cake for dessert, and this was decent, but I have certainly had much better desserts elsewhere.

The fact that this restaurant is open 24 hours a day is very convenient. I do plan to try their vegan pancakes, as I hear these are great.

I might recommend this place if you are out very late and there are no other veg alternatives.

Pros: Open 24 hours a day, ambiance, service

Cons: food is bland

Good food, good atmosphere, long waits - Edit

The food at The Naam was excellent (at least as a veggie rather than a vegan) - I had the golden bowl, which consisted of huge chunks of potato, generous helpings of cheese, miso gravy, tofu, and vegetables. The serving was huge, and the general 'fats and carbs' style of the food was perfect after a long day of cycling.

The place itself also seemed fun, with live music, a patio, and a lot of chatter from the many patrons. One small complaint is the amount of time it took to get service at the end of the meal - I think we spent about half an hour trying to get the bill paid, which isn't fun when you're tired and need to catch a bus. But if you have more time (or a bit of patience), this would be an excellent place to go.

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Naam closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.