The Millstream

+44-1992-582755

88 Port Vale, Hertford, England, SG14 3AF

Serves meat, vegan options available. A family-run public house where customers are warmly welcomed. Has large country garden and a restaurant. Offers a few changing vegan choices with examples including a sweetcorn & chick pea burger with tomato sauce, avocado & a wholemeal bun, and a chargrill vegetable stack with fennel & mint lentils and a tomato sauce. Uses locally sourced produce when possible. Advance bookings are highly recommended, especially on weekends; however, walk-ins are welcome and will be seated as best as possible. Companion animal-friendly, but are not permitted in the restaurant area. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Oxleym08

Truly Accommodating - Edit

I wasn't sure quite what to expect when I went along to The Millstream. The first time I went, it had been a choice between plain salad or chips.

However, I had heard that they were celebrating World Vegan Day- which in itself is a positive- so decided to go and check out the vegan menu for myself.

The waitress was warm and welcoming, talking to me in depth about all allergens within the vegan menu- since I'm allergic to both gluten and soy as well- and was able to assure me that the entire menu is made from scratch by the chef, to give it a home cooked feel.

The manager herself came to speak with me and we ended up conversing for a long time. She told me that if I called in advance, the chef would be more than happy to prepare me something not on the menu- such as a vegan cheese burger. She took pride in the fact that everything is made from scratch, and that they now provide vegan cheese which is selling well.

The meal itself exceeded all possible expectations. I had a chickpea curry with rice, and a side of vegetable dahl. It was mild- but with a small and pleasant kick-, warming and filling. The seasoning was balanced and perfect, and it was a rare occasion in which I didn't need to add salt or pepper.

All in all, I'd give the meal 10/10 and would recommend anyone and everyone to go along.

Pros: Delicious food, Accommodating staff, Quick service

Cons: No permanent vegan menu

Tasty but lacked inspiration - Edit

The Mill Stream is undeniably a nice pub and it seemed busy when we visited on a Friday night but sadly a little uninspired in the vegan department. I truly appreciate the fact that they are doing Veganuary and they will have two different vegan meals on their menu every week for the month. This week it is either stuffed peppers or mushrooms with caramelised onions and violife cheese on top. I went for the second and whilst it was nice enough it seemed a little dear and not the most exciting vegan option. That being said I've given 4 stars as it's so nice to see more local places making an active effort to accommodate vegans and they've said that they will consider making vegan meals a permanent fixture depending on the success of veganuary. And my partner was incredibly impressed by the non-vegan option he said it was fantastic

Pros: Nice Venue, Clearly marked menu, Moderate Prices

Cons: Non-vegan meals seem to outrank vegan ones in tast

Return to Hertford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Millstream closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.