The Merri Table at CERES

( 1 review )
03 9389 0166

Roberts St and Stewart St corner, Brunswick East, Victoria, 3057

Serves meat, vegan options available. CERES sits on a 13 acre plot of land. Offers market stall and shop as well a cafe. All food and drinks are organic, local, and seasonal - from breakfast and lunch dishes to pastries and sandwiches to cakes and sweets. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-4:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Australian, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by beancurdled

roomy, open, and accessible - Edit

Used to go to the CERES cafe years ago when I lived nearby. Since moving from East to West Brunswick I haven't really bothered, which probably says something about the standard of food and coffee. Not worth going out of your way for.

I went back yesterday with a friend and her 1 year old. The wide verandah overlooking the garden was great for the little one. Also convenient if you use a wheelchair or other mobility aid or are with a group of people who do, as there's plenty of space between tables, wide doors, etc. The location and layout were the best thing about our visit, however.

The coffe, as I remembered, is pretty bad of you're a soy drinker. The use Nature's Soy and I understand they want to go for a more local, ethical brand than imported Bonsoy but their soy coffees always go kind of chunky and gross. While the milk is gross and thick, the coffee tastes watery and bitter. Must remember to go for a tea or a cool drink next time.

There were a handful of appealing vegan options on the menu. We chose tacos and rosemary potatoes to share. Tacos were disappointing. The salsa had a nice smoky flavour but was so watery that when I tried to eat the taco, it dribbled down my arm. Everything else about it was pretty blah. The rosemary potatoes are delicious. But it's hard for deep fried, crunchy potatoes not to be moreish, in my opinion. They were all perfectly fluffy on the inside and nicely seasoned.

I was excited to see vegan chocolate crackles and got one to takeaway. But then, chocolate crackles tend to be vegan as a rule so it's not like they went to a great effort to create a vegan desert. I ate it a few hours later and it was stale. The rice puffs were chewy not crispy. No "crackle" to be had.

Pros: nice setting, plenty of room, accessible

Cons: bad soy coffee, average food

Return to Brunswick East Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Merri Table at CERES closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.