The Merri Clan

15 Gilbert Rd, Preston, Victoria, 3072

Mainly vegan menu including nachos, vegan cheese platter, Dutch poffertjes, and cakes. Has bonsoy for coffee. Only non-vegan items are the option of dairy cheese on one dish and a dairy cheese platter available at night. Open Tue-Sun 7:00am-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Western, European

First Review by veganskinhead

Substantial - Edit

We ordered the Big Mock Burger ($17) vegan nachos ($18.50) for lunch and took about an hour to finish them, the portions were so big. The burger was quite nice but was mostly patties and bread. The aioli with it was very nice, but there wasn’t much of it or anything else besides lettuce. The nachos were also good, but not easy to eat, with the topping spread right to the edges of the bowl (not plate), so that we couldn’t pick up the corn chips without burrowing into the avocado and beans. My Cherry Ripe smoothie ($8.80)was delicious, with the coconut giving it texture and and complementing the taste of the fruit. Welcome addition to the West Preston neighbourhood.

Pros: Good smoothie , Decent serving sizes

Cons: Nachos difficult to eat, Burger not exciting

Great lunch - Edit

We had the vegan Nachos and the Merri Breakfast. They were generous serves and very tasty! Almost everything is vegan (though they have dairy milk). I also had a soy turmeric latte which was yummy. The staff are friendly and helpful and it has a nice atmosphere. There's indoor and outdoor seating. I'm keen to come back to try their poffertjes! Also there's a bar and in the evening and they serve vegan burritos... I'm keen to come one evening too!

Reasonable, but not stellar. - Edit

I went to the Merri Clan with a friend for brunch. The food was reasonable, but nothing spectacular. I had the vegan nachos, and my friend the 'pulled pork' burger. The flavour was decent, but nothing spectacular; my friend's burger was a little dry. Neither dish was more than lukewarm, which was a shame on the day (see below). The menu isn't massive, but as most dishes are vegan, it's a better selection than the majority of suburban cafés.

Our coffees were fine (albeit a little cold), but it's hard to recommend them over other places nearby (yes, Melbourne's coffee fixation does set a high standard). The soy chai latte was reasonable, but also only lukewarm.

We were there on a cold, wet, windy Saturday. After we sat down, we spent a while trying to work out from where the cold draft was coming - the large window by the barista was wide open! We couldn't take our coats off as it was so cold. On a fine day, it'd be great, but less so whilst it was hailing outside.

I'm not sure if I'd go again. It wasn't by any means bad, but neither of us walked away thinking that we'd had a great meal and experience.

Pros: Reasonable food.

Cons: Food and drinks weren't very hot., Windows open on a cold, wet, windy day.

Return to Preston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Merri Clan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.