CLOSED: The Meeting Tree Ethiopian Restaurant

100 Tory Street, Te Aro, Wellington, New Zealand,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian food with some vegetable dishes are are vegan suitable. Could get a vegan platter. Upmarket atmosphere. Reported closed to HappyCow, Jan 2016. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-2:30pm, Mon-Sun 5:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Take-out, African, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by Yvette Rigby

Big selection, friendly and delicious - Edit

An outstanding selection of vegan dishes as well as others. The service is friendly and very fast although not the most polished: Both times I've eaten here, the wait staff have been confused about wine orders and have shown me the wine bottles and asked me to chose which one I would like.
I quite like this - this is the first Ethiopian restaurant in NZ (one has opened more recently in Auckland)and the owners rely on community members, friends, family etc. to help out. To me the lack of wine knowledge adds to the charm and authentic appeal of the experience but I appreciate that it may detract for others.

The food is amazing; so many flavours and textures. Some of the ingredients are quite similar to Indian food, eg. split peas, lentils etc. but the spices and tastes are very different, fresh and delicate.

I had the vegan platter which had two vegetable dishes, one was collard greens-ish, the other was an amazing saurkrauty dish. There were three main dishes, one that was similar to dhal, one lentil dish and another very tasty one that was red (?!). There was a small, spicey accompaniment that had a lot of heat but was also very fresh and two large pieces of injera. It was a toss up between this platter and the salad with peanut and lemon dressing which I had last time and still remember vividly and fondly. Great value and totally worth checking out.
Updated from previous review on Thursday May 28, 2015

Pros: big selection, different flavours and experience, friendly service

Cons: air con made it cold

THE MEETING TREE ETHIOPIAN RESTAURANT WELLINGTON - Edit

Very poor service.
Not open when they say they are.
Small portions and rude service.
Staff are unprofessional and this restaurant
is chasing only money.
Restroom is difficult to access and dirty.
Not a good choice.

Yummy - Edit

We got the vegan platter here and it was very delicious. A good range of the vegan dishes. The place is small but it was nice with good decor and music. Staff were nice and attentive. I will be going back here.

Pros: Good food, Good Service

Yummy food, excusing the service! - Edit

When The Meeting Tree opened, I was very excited to try it, as I'd heard that Ethiopian food is delicious & vegan friendly. The menu here is in fact almost 50% vegan, so you'll have plenty of options. We ordered the vegan platter for two, which comes with three pieces of injera and a number of the vegan curries and veges. Yum, yum, yum, although I wish that some of the dishes were a little spicier. We also ordered the peanut salad to begin, which was exceptional - spicy, creamy and crunchy, with even more injera.

A word of warning - the service here was poor. While the waitress wasn't rude, she seemed poorly trained. For example, when we enquired about the coffee advertised on an outside banner, we were told they had none. When we instead asked for ice in our drinks, we were told they were already cold enough. She also was unable to take orders for both entrees and mains at once, needing to come back to take our orders a second time. The food is worth it though!

Pros: Heaps of vegan options, Injera

Cons: Bad service, A bit pricey

Return to Wellington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Meeting Tree Ethiopian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.