The Masala Dosa

Contact +27-214246772

167 Long St, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa, 8001

Serves meat, vegan options available. Named after the South Indian breakfast dish, this small restaurant gets busy. Customers are recommended to eat the meals with their hands in true Indian style. The traditional dosa (lentil pancake with potato curry) is the specialty. Has a separated vegan menu list in-restaurant and online. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by malini

fantastic meal - Edit

I had the Channa dosa (chickpea) and my partner had the traditional potato dosa and we were both blown away.
the staff were really friendly and the place had a great atmosphere.
I really liked that they had a completely separate vegan menu.

Pros: separate vegan menu, amazing food, friendly staff

Great meal - Edit

This is a great spot to eat at, and I've enjoyed a few meals here with friends. Super tasty food, and they understand what "vegan" means!

Pros: Understand the word vegan, Tasty food, Friendly, helpful staff

Cons: Not 100% vegan

Disappointing experience - Edit

I ate at Masala Dosa for the first time last year and was excited to get a chance to go back this year. Unfortunately the food wasn't as good as the previous time. The different dishes in the thali were quite bland and all tasted more or less the same which defeats the purpose of several small dishes. Our waiter was also quite unenthusiastic and we struggled to place orders for more drinks and desserts. Whenever someone asked for another drink he would speed off and not give anyone else a chance to order. The non alcoholic drink I ordered was delicious though.

Pros: Separate vegan menu, Good drinks

Cons: Bland food, Slow and unenthusiastic service

Loved the Traditional Masala Dosa - Edit

Wonderful vegan masala dosas. You must try this if you haven't already. I also really enjoyed the homemade lemon mint iced tea- delicious! The owner was quite helpful and very friendly.

Pros: Vegan options, Takes reservations

Contributions +98

Delicious chana dosa - Edit

As a dosa fan, I was delighted to discover this place in Cape Town. Both the masala dosa and the chana dosa were fresh and quite filling. The coconut chutney and sambar were similarly tasty. The owner was happy to assure us of the vegan friendly nature of the restaurant, and we will surely be returning during our stay for more delicious meals. The menu was well labelled with regards to vegan options and even included a soya lassi. There was also free wifi.
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 02, 2012

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly staff, Affordable

Return to Western Cape Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Masala Dosa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1152 times since Nov 2010.