First Review by tinkerbell

Beautiful Food !! - Edit

This restaurant serves amazing vegan and vegetarian food. It has a very simply lay out - but don't judge the food based on that ! We really enjoyed the atmosphere - the service was excellent. It's not a very flashy restaurant but I can't deny the quality of the food and the price !! Definitely worth a visit !!

Was cool 10 years ago, not so much now - Edit

This place has great food but they haven't updated the furniture or feel and are now behind the times. It is a shame, this place used to be very hip but now it is just a bit tired and dated – even though the food is still fantastic. Needs to rethink itself in the market and think how it can be the subculture cafe it once was!

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff

Cons: Tired and no longer cool, Gets swarmed by babies often

Could be worse - Edit

I found it very lovely for the vibe. Oxford doesn't have a lot of places free from corpses, so that was definitely a good thing. It did upset me that they only had one plant based option. The menu had the main dish plus three salads. Had to go through the salads' ingredients as one of them was finishing and was being replaced with one with cheese. Had I not noticed it, I'm pretty sure they would have given me the vegan plate with the animal secretion salad. It always bugs me when veg places insist on food that revolves around animal secretions. But from what I have seen so far, that's quite normal in Oxford. So far, it's still the best I found there.

Pros: Plant based food in a good portion, Plant based cake, Music and decoration

Cons: Animal secretions everywhere (ask everything!), Far from the city centre

Magic cafe is 'magic' - Edit

Been meaning to write a review of this cafe since summer. I'm vegan (for 21 years) and had a day trip to Oxford in August so decided to try the Magic cafe. Absolutely loved it!! Really chilled out atmosphere, great background music and the food was beyond my expectations - excellent salads, real home cooked main courses and vegan cakes! I was so happy I tipped them £10. If you want alternative, individual and beautifully simplistic - then this is it in Oxford. I wish you every success Magic Cafe.

Pros: Food, Place, Decor

Cons: Maybe a bit of a walk from city centre

Good but not great - Edit

My first visit to The Magic cafe.
Disappointed to find that the vegan options for the main courses were limited to one dish.
What I had was tasty and nice but the dish was luke warm.However, it was reasonable.
I liked the atmosphere with big old mismatched tables. has a kind of hippy vibe. Very relaxed.
Staff seemed polite but a little disinterested.
I'm so grateful for any cafe that serves vegan food, however limited, that I will definitely go again.
Overall 3/5

Pros: cheap, tasty food, good portion sizes

Cons: limited vegan options

Would not say 'Vegan Friendly'. - Edit

We tried to visit this cafe today but left without eating anything. Asked what was vegan was told maybe soup. The staff member was quite rude and unhelpful - she didn't know what was vegan and was unwilling to ask in the kitchen. I don't really expect this from a vegetarian cafe. I would suggest vegans avoid this cafe due to the lack of knowledge of the staff and the availability of other restaurants/cafes in the area offering good vegan food (and being knowledgeable about what they sell!)

Underwhelming Vegan Options - Edit

I've been here a couple of times in the past, though I've only eaten once, because the pickings for vegans were rather slim. I had a slice of banana and date cakeas it was the only vegan thing on the menu they still had. It was very dry and rather boring, I wouldn't recommend it. I believe the 'soup of the day' was vegan (not sure if it always is) and also a big salad dish.

This would probably make a nice lunch stop for vegetarians, but for vegans it was a little dissapointing.

Pros: Fully vegetarian, Cool bookshop next door

Cons: Food wasn't that great, Few vegan options

Well worth a visit - Edit

We came twice while in Oxford both late afternoon and had a choice of dishes, a treat for veggies to have choices especially after lunchtime, loved the aubergine bake and the side salads, curries were a little hot for us. Very friendly and relaxed with mums and kids chatting over cofee.

Pros: Good food, Good price

Cons: Can be noisy kids

Great Food, Good Music, Very Nice Service! - Edit

We really had a wonderful time at the Magic Cafe. It has two new owners now. Deki was great to us and served us memorable food!
The cakes were also really good.
Would have loved it even more, if it was completely vegan. But that's just me.

Pros: Service, Food, Hot Chocolate

Cons: Not Completely Vegan

we need more veggie places in oxford - Edit

The food is not as magic as the name suggests, standard veggie options but the live music is nice and everyone is always friendly. They don't seem to mind kids which makes a nice change but definitely not a quiet romantic lunch kinda spot.

Decent - Edit

I was excited to find a shop with vegan food right next to a very cool bookstore called the Inner Bookshop. But the spiced fruit cake I had was disappointing. While the flavor was good, it was quite dry. I preferred the coconut chocolate flapjack I had at Uhuru Wholefoods. There were other vegan deserts on the menu that weren't available and a few vegan savory dishes that I didn't try. It's worth a visit.

dull food, dull place - Edit

Uninspiring food with the environment to match.
Always seems to be children running about whilst their parents ignore this behaviour. Really hard to finish food with all this going on. Left without finishing food, not that we missed out. Had chips on the way home!!

Cons: dull food, unhelpful staff

Return to Oxford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Magic Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9609 times since Aug 2007.