CLOSED: The Magic Apple

Contact 07-5576-5588

Shop 2, Fifth Ave, Burleigh Heads, Gold Coast, Queensland,

A wholefoods restaurant that offers an extensive menu of salads, hot entrees, wraps, a range of cakes and cookies. Sample items such as scrambled tofu, bruschetta, macadamia nut butter on toast, vegan nachos, dahl, and chickpea curry. Has free Wi-Fi and occasional live music. SEP 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Wed 7:00am-7:30pm, Thu 8:00am-7:30pm, Fri-Sun 7:00am-7:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, Australian

First Review by Precious

Needs improvement - Edit

Magic Apple has been around a long time and a dozen years ago it seemed to be fairly decent but in more decent times the food has been bland and the staff unhelpful towards vegans.

Pros: handy for a snack if in the area

Cons: pricey, not vegan friendly, rude staff

Yumm!!! - Edit

I went to The Magic Apple on the weekend it was absolutely amazing. The staff were friendly, the selection of food was incredible. Everything looked so good! After trying to decide what to eat, I got the Protein Burger with Vegan Mayo. Wow! My friend got the same and finished it within minutes! The best burger I have ever had!! I definitely recommend trying it out for yourself :)

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly, Helpful Staff, Lovely atmosphere

The super magic apple. - Edit

We love the cakes from here. We got the carob and apple cake from here and it was amazing. For lunch we both got wraps. I had the grilled tofu and my wife got the protein patty. I have never had tofu as nice as the piece that was on my wrap. And while the prices are not as cheap as say the non veg. competition the size of the wrap made it well worth it.
Great coffee and cake deals.

Pros: Delish food, Great cakes, Frozen meals available

Cons: Price, Not all the menu is vegan

Great desserts - Edit

We ate here on two occasions and enjoyed the food quite a lot. I would disagree with a previous post which stated the service was unfriendly. The lady that owns it was there when we visited (both times) and although she had a slightly intense personality she was very kind and helpful.
The best thing about this place was the desserts - in particular the vegan orange and almond pie, that was delicious!
I found the pricing to be fair, not cheap or expensive. We had one big plate to two of us along with a dessert each and that was more than enough.
Well worth the visit if you are in the area.

Pros: delicious desserts, quick service, lots of vegan options

Yum yum yum... - Edit

Visited the Magic Apple today. It was phenomenal. A real treat to visit, with friendly staff, and an array of tasty vegan options. Lovely location right near the beach too. I thought this place made some delicious food. Their sandwiches are huge - with lovely grilled tofu, tempeh and pure veggie options. Delicious breads, vegan mayo - who could ask for more? Kale salad and yummy shakes (I loved the carob/banana) make this place perfect. Didn't try the desserts - but will rectify that on my next visit. Agree with previous posters that it is a little pricey, but well worth the splurge.
Update: Back at the Magic Apple and have to say that it's feeling a bit dated. Our two wraps were solid. The options for vegans are less plentiful than I remember, and the coffee was just OK. It's still a good place to stop into on the Gold Coast these days.

Pros: friendly staff, delicious food

I used to live close - Edit

I used to live close to The Magic Apple and went there many times. I wanted to support a vegetarian cafe and find something yummy to eat. I was disappointed. The staff were not very friendly or the food wasn't great or there was a mistake. There was always something. I tried and tried and tried, but will never go there again. Who knows the menu and staff and feeling of the place may have changed.

Pros: Location is good

Good options - Edit

Magic Apple has gone up and down over the years. I find their cooked food always a bit too overcooked or overspiced (not in a hot way) and the prices a bit much. I'd drive a bit further south to Govindas or north to Mandala over eating here.

Pros: good location, nice drinks, yum treats

Cons: overcooked, average quality

Magic Apple Cafe - Edit

Standard vegetarian fare, nothing fancy here but still a good option for salads, burgers, and a few hot dishes.

I've had the personal lasagne, which was OK but nothing flash. Also had a tofu burger which was a bit ridiculous, I don't know how anyone is meant to eat the thing, it's way too big to be enjoyable unless you take it apart. I couldn't manage it in my hands, and trying to use knife and fork just made a mess. Maybe I shouldn't have chosen all the salads.

The wraps are probably the best things to order here, they are good value and manageable.

Nice selection of sauces including a vegan mayo.

Nice sweet treats too.

Pros: Vego

Cons: Burger too big to manage

food was ok - Edit

I've driven past this place countless number of times so I finally pulled in to check it out. The service was slightly rude. It wasn't offensive but certainly not friendly. I ordered a wrap which was ok. It certainly wasn't good value for money though. I'm giving it two cows.

Great place - Edit

We went to The Magic Apple twice while on holiday on the Gold coast recently and I wish this cafe could be magically transferred to Sydney, so I could go there more often...

For lunch the cafe has a large variety of burgers / wraps / focaccias and caseroles / curries / salads as well as some pies. There are plenty of vegan options.

We had a focaccia with a "garden pattie", salad and a yummy peanut and sweet chillie sauce. The focaccias tasted really good and were very filling. Still we couldn't resist to try a couple of the vegan cakes on offer and they tasted absolutely delicious!

Our second visit was for breakfast. The coffee was good. I had the scrambled tofu which was a bit bland and my partner had the fried mushrooms and tomatoes which tasted great. The breakfast serves weren't as filling as lunch but they weren't expensive either. My partner was still a bit peckish after brekkie but that was easily fixed with a lentil pie.

The cafe is right on the Gold Coast Highway a bit away from the Burleigh Heads village but that doesn't diminish it's relaxed atmosphere.

need more whole foods - Edit

We were really excited to visit the Magic Apple after reading on their website that they specialize in Low Fat Vegan food, what we found when we arrived was not a drop of food that was low fat. They tout this healthy icing, which is really fat and sugar no different than any margarine, but made out of nut oil. They were completely unhelpful in offering up anything healthy and we left dismayed and requested they change their website copy.

Great - Edit

Magic apple is fantastic. Go there, you'll see. A fair bit of hocus-pocus on the walls, but the food is great, and they now have EFTPOS! Can thoroughly recommend the Nutmeat Sossys with Gado-Gado (satay) sauce.
You can also buy most of the hot stuff frozen (pies, sossys, curries), as well as the deserts (which are awesome!).
Great place to go after a surf too, it's just the vibe of the thing.

Pros: Food, Drink, Now have EFTPOS

Cons: Hocus pocus on walls

wholefood - Edit

this restaurant offers wholefood dishes with many vegan options. the curried veggie pie was excellent. didn't like the tofu squares so much. the price is a bit on the high side. but considering the fact that all the dishes are made with whole ingredients, it is reasonable.

expensive but good desserts - Edit

(January 2008) The food resembles what you'd see in other alternative cafes or Hare Krishna restaurants. A counter meal/combo plate of beans, dahl, felafel etc from under the hot lights costs $18. When I went there, the beans were undercooked, and had rankled slightly. It was also quite bland, not much in the way of spices or seasoning - Im sure I could have cooked much better myself. To be fair, the desserts are much better - there is a large selection of cakes there and they are all very tasty and impressive. Then again, at about $7- $8 a slice or $50 for a whole cake, they'd better be. Whether you get anything out of the Ravi Shankar quotes and new-age dedications covering the wall (the *whole* wall, mind) is up to you, I didnt care one way or the other.

Pros: High prices, Variable quality

Cons: Good desserts

Great food and great thoughts written on the walls - Edit

Lots of vegan choices and cool funky place.Spiritual thoughful writtings on the wall to read while you eat to get you thinking about health,your body and the world around you! Great juices and you can have an open plate or wrap or salad or mix and match.Just my style!

Pros: atmosphere, variety, staff

Return to Gold Coast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: The Magic Apple closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4808 times since Aug 2007.