The Mac House

919-263-8116

14460 New Falls of Neuse Rd Ste 167, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, 27614

Serves meat, vegan options available. Family-run restaurant specializing in mac n cheese with a variety of toppings and sides. Vegan mac'n'cheese available with choice of buffalo cauliflower, soy chorizo, pickled jalapeno, green chili “queso,” and salsa or vegan bacon and truffle. Has vegan cheese fries. Open Tue-Sun 11:00am-8:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by turtleveg

Fun, low key, and tasty - Edit

I've been to the Mac House three or four times in the past year since it opened, and while I've never been blown away, I've never been disappointed.

Most of the items on the menu can be done vegan style, and every one there speaks knowledgeably about dietary restrictions.

I've had a couple different versions of their mac and cheese, and to be honest, I probably won't eat any of those again. The sauce isn't great (kinda mealy and not very flavorful), and even though the toppings are truly excellent, it doesn't really make up for the base element of the dish being completely "meh". If you specialize in mac and cheese and offer a vegan version, it should be just as superb as the vegetarian/omni versions!

All that said, the Mac House is great when dining out with a group. Everyone I've taken with me has found something suitable to eat - what more can you ask?

Pros: very friendly and knowledgeable staff, lots of choices for everyone, fast casual dining

Cons: bland cheese sauce

Good option for vegan cheese fries - Edit

I would have never thought there would be vegan options in this local mac and cheese joint in a strip mall. When I went to order, the staff member was excited to explain their vegan options. I got the mac and cheese with buffalo cauliflower and vegan cheese fries with coconut bacon. I wish it came with a few more pieces of cauliflower (mine only came with 3). I didn't ask for any ingredient list but the cheese sauce wasn't super cheese-y (is it potato-based?). I don't mind, but others wanting a more authentic cheese flavor would probably prefer a soy or cashew based cheese.

My only con is that I wish it were closer to downtown Raleigh instead of Wake Forest.

Updated from previous review on 2017-07-09

Pros: vegan junk food option!, helpful staff

Cons: closer to Wake Forest than the Raleigh proper, less authentic cheese flavor

love that they are excited about vegan options - Edit

I visited The Mac House for the first time after hearing they offer a vegan mac. This is a small restaurant, you order at the counter and they bring it out to you. The staff was very friendly and helpful. When asked about vegan options they were enthusiastic and pointed out our choices and also what their favorite vegan option was. I ordered a regular size vegan mac n cheese topped with buffalo cauliflower. The portion is huge (I can't imagine ordering a large!). We also split an order of vegan cheese fries, which came topped with vegan bacon bits and a side of vegan ranch. Both were incredibly delicious! The vegan mac is good but not great - but the toppings, buffalo cauliflower, and fries made up for it. I will definitely go back again when I'm in the area. It will be tough not to order the buffalo cauliflower again next time, but I do want to try the other choices: soy chorizo, pickled jalapenos, green chili “queso”, & salsa, or vegan bacon and truffle.

Pros: unexpected vegan options, very friendly and helpful staff, buffalo cauliflower - 5 stars : )

Return to Raleigh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Mac House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.