• The Looking Glass

• (9)
  • Ice-cream Ice Cream
Lacto
British

Ice cream/tea shop which serves 3-4 flavours of vegan ice cream. Could include pineapple, orange, mixed berry, lemon and apple. Open Mon-Fri 11:00-16:00, Sat 12:00-17:00, Sun 11:00-17:00.

Venue map for The Looking Glass
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by chp

edam

Points +221

18 May 2023

Lots of Vegan Options

When I went there were 6 Vegan options. They're a mix between sorbet and ice cream.

andyjones

Points +450

23 Oct 2022

Knickerbocker Lunch

Made a Knickerbocker glory vegan (legends).
Wife had a vegan crepe with strawberries and Oreos. Oat milk alternative.

ElainJones

Points +12

Non Veg
06 Aug 2022

Lovely place

Alice in wonderland themed ice cream parlour, which had 5 flavours of vegan ice cream! More like sorbet than ice cream, but definitely tasty!

Pros: 5 vegan ice cream flavours, Very pretty inside💗

Cons: Texture is closer to sorbet than ice cream

CharlieMills

Points +3956

16 Apr 2022

Nice sorbet - limited options

There was either a pineapple or blueberry sorbet. They were both nice and very creamy for sorbet.

Dotty

Points +52

11 Sep 2021

We all Mad here

Very cute ice cream shop with place to seat down and enjoy both desserts and Alice in Wonderland themed interior.
There was 4 vegan flavours when I visited and I choosen 3 of them - Mixed Berries, Pinnaple, Banana & Oreos. All were great, pineapple was best in my opinion.
There was also green apple available.

Pros: Best vegan ice cream ❤️

Cons: No cons- very enjoyed it there.

JBeardsmore

Points +148

13 Aug 2020

We all scream!

5 vegan icecream options when we visited. Don't wait till later in the day to avoid disappointment, we went late once and a few flavours had run out. I understand they only have a set amount for each day

jane386

Points +66

18 Aug 2019

delicious!

Lovely vegan ice cream , nice variety of flavours too x

nicoleireland

Points +139

24 Apr 2019

Lovely ice cream, lovely cafe

Really nice place. There were 5 vegan choices: apple, mango, lemon, orange, melon (all fruits - would have been nice to see some of the non-vegan options veganised!) It was good for my allergy son to finally have some proper ice cream instead of an ice lolly - however, the scoops and cones are HUGE so would be good to have a kids size portion. Overall a good experience.

Pros: Various flavour options! , Lovely atmosphere in cafe, You get a lot of ice cream

Cons: Quite expensive, No kids size portions (that I could see)

chp

Points +3094

23 Apr 2019

Vegan ice cream delights

My eagle eyed partner (when it comes to food!) spotted a tiny ‘Vg’ sign which warranted investigation. Et voila! Vegan ice cream was discovered and thoroughly enjoyed. Having been a few times now, typically there are 4 or 5 flavours to choose from (usually at the right end of the counter) out of a wider 7-8 vegan flavours they have. Technically, they are sorbets which may put some off but don’t be - they have the silky smooth consistency of an ice cream and if I hadn’t have been told by the staff, I wouldn’t have known.

A big mention has to go to the interior here. As the name suggests, there’s a bit of an Alice in Wonderland vibe here and it just helps make it a little bit more of an experience to visit, especially if you’re not local and have travelled a fair distance.

This all sounds great so why only 3*. Well, the problem for vegans at least is that they offer a pretty big menu of ice cream dishes/desserts such as sundaes, waffles and milkshakes. Having gone to the huge efforts of making multiple vegan ice creams, it seemed a big missed opportunity to then find out they had no plant milks at all (I was actually confronted with a ‘what?’ on first asking this question) to make vegan milkshakes. This theme is recurrent to the drinks menu should you wish to get something like a hot chocolate.

So do I recommend going? Absolutely. The ice cream itself makes it more than worth it, especially on hot days such as the ones I visited on. It just doesn’t change the fact that they’re only a few tweaks away from being able to open up a much bigger section of the menu to vegans which is a real shame and I hope this is something that changes when I go back in future.

Pros: Sublime vegan ice cream, Themed interior decor , Reasonable prices

Cons: Lack of variety on wider menu for vegans

This page has been viewed 2093 times.