The Living Room

+64-94461010

8 Victoria Rd, Devonport, New Zealand, 0624

Health food cafe and sustainable living store. About 95% of the food and drinks are vegan. Non-vegan items include dairy milk for coffee and egg in pastry of some pies (owners plan to phase these out and become all-vegan). Vegan foods include raw vegan & organic treats and desserts, wraps, salads, Vietnamese rice rolls, soups and pies. Has vegan burger nights. Organic smoothies and juices and specialty hot drinks (matcha, beetroot, turmeric lattes, etc.), are also available. Open Mon-Sun 9:30am-4:30pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, Vietnamese

First Review by Exquire

Bitter experience, literally - Edit

We were only after coffee, but it was a disappointing experience. They didn't have any price list for the coffee and I was surprised to get to know they charged an additional dollar for a plant based milk. Not really vegan friendly.

I don't use sugar for my coffee, but the cappuccino was so bitter I had to use sugar, though it didn't help much, it was still disgusting. They had different vegan sweets on display, that looked good, but as the coffee was a failure I won't come back.

Pros: Vegan options

Cons: Extra charge for a plant based milk (1 NZD) for yo

Great vegan food in Devonport! - Edit

I had been meaning to check out The Living Room for some time and it lived up to my expectations. Having grown up near the village, I know that vegan options aren’t all that common here. So it was great to see that almost everything at The Living Room is vegan. In fact, on the day we went everything in the cabinet was vegan. We had some delicious sandwiches (and actually ordered another of the eggplant) plus a creamy cauliflower salad and smoothies - and a *delicious* rich raw ‘snickers’ slice which I forgot to photograph (it was a hard choice between that and the hazelnut). It was good to see zero waste (reusable) straws being used for smoothies. The staff were friendly & helpful and the setting (we sat outside overlooking the street) is one of the best in Devonport in my opinion.

I really hope that The Living Room will switch to 100% vegan in the future. They are almost there, except for offering cow’s milk coffees, honey in a smoothie, and apparently some of the cabinet food. In my experience working in a vegan cafe, most people who would otherwise choose cow’s milk if they had the option, are fine with experimenting with e.g. coconut. I understand though that everyone is doing the best they can. So fellow vegans, please go and support the vegan options to help them transition :)

I will definitely be recommending this café to others. Also I look forward to the a la carte menu! And seeing as my partner and I will soon be living very close, we hope to see you more often!

Pros: Tasty food & drinks, Nice range of other products e.g. zero waste straw, Great central location + atmosphere (particularly

Cons: Not totally vegan (but I wish you guys all the bes

Just the right thing in just the right place - Edit

I'm so happy the Living Room opened up, amazing there was barely any vegan food in the lovely ferry-town of Devonport before they came along. Nothing previously on Happy Cow!

Devonport is famous for its conservative sit-down cafes but infamous for a lack of vegan options. The Living Room fits the bill nicely with a fun fusion menu, creative cabinet-food, various seating arrangements and big glass doors that open to outdoor seating and the Devonport main street.

I went in hoping for a snack but was too tempted by the vegan burger-night, kumara fries, chocolate cookie-burger (seriously) and a glass of Auckland's OM kombucha. For $25 I thought that was really good value in an otherwise pricey part of town.

Worth also noting that they cater well for gluten-free. I expect they'll do great - visit them while they're still cheap!

Pros: Central Devonport!, Nearly all options are vegan, Fun place to be

Return to Devonport Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Living Room closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.