The Living

n/a

Asvest 8, Delft, Netherlands, 2611PK

Organic vegetarian deli where you pay for the food & salad by weight. Labels what's vegan. Does not take cash. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Sat 10:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by v_mdj

Tasty food, Great staff! - Edit

This is a great place for vegan food in Delft. The menu is always changing so there is lots of variety. Make sure you get a soup. These guys also catered my PhD defense and did a great job feeding lunch to 11 people.

I do wish that more of their warm options were vegan. Also would be cool if they shifted their baking to vegan. They do have a nice vegan/sugar free/gluten free raw brownie. But I do wish they made some other vegan baked goods sometimes.

The price is also a little high, in my opinion. Usually to fill myself up I have to pay upwards of 10-12 Euros and for a self-service place that seems a bit high. However, don't skip this place, try it out!

Pros: Tasty food, Healthy options, AMAZING staff!

Cons: A little pricey, Wish there were more vegan options

Great place, excellent food - Edit

We've recently moved to Delft, and we've been here a few times already. The food is always fresh and in high quality, and the owners are lovely. I like the concept of paying by weight as well. Highly recommend. Good vegan options.

Good; but it could be better - Edit

I visited this place on April 2016 during lunch time.

The staff was nice and helpful; and, the atmosphere was quite alright, for a place with approx. 8 seats.

The concept is also interesting, as you pay by weight (except the soup/drinks/sweets), which means you will not be able to complain on the size of the portions. :)

My only issue would be that on the day I went, the only vegan options were salads (which were very tasty and diverse, by the way). There were three quiches/tarts; and all of them had some kind of cheese.
So, there was nothing warm and vegan but the soup.
Also, there was a mistake in the label of one of the tarts; but the staff informed me about that (however, I wonder what would happen if you just rely on the label and you wouldn't explicitly say you are vegan).

Luckily, it was not so cold outside, so having salads was alright; but it would've been so much better if at least one of the three warm plates was vegan.
Hopefully next time!

By the way, I also had a vegan brownie and a chai latte (vegan, the gold version with turmeric). Both were yummy!

Pros: pay by weight, colorful salads, friendly staff

Cons: no vegan warm plate

Great fresh flavors, great selection - Edit

Choose from a variety of hot soups, salads and other dishes. Serve yourself and pay by weight (soup is by portion). 100% organic and 100% delicious. Today's menu included puréed parsnip soup, potato salad with green beans and capers, French lentil salad, some yummy little veggie fritters, grilled eggplant, and a beet tart tatin that was insanely good. Most dishes are vegan but not all (that's why 4 stars and not 5). Comfortable bright atmosphere and excellent location. Recommend!

Innovative and creative culinary atelier in Delft - Edit

The Living represents a refreshing concept of the ordinary treadmill vegan/vegetarian alternative. Primarily intended as an outlet and take away for people who are aware of the value of organic and biological sustainable produce, it raises the quality of locally grown vegetables to a higher level. The variety of tastes, colours and choices of the bi-weekly menu, is determined by nature's seasons, and its diversity directly conveys the talent of the one who reigns the kitchen area! The open-kitchen atmosphere is inviting and projects a "real-life" trendy stylish decor, making every visitor feel at home immediately.
Delft hosts the famous Technical University and consequently the prices are kept at an affordable level, offering students the possibility to enjoy a balanced and healthy meal, by way of raising awareness and leading the way in taking ecological responsibility.
The Living is a wonderful example of how to successfully combine innovative culinary talent with the "green" visionary progressive trends and lifestyle of today.

Pros: great food, excellent value, tasteful environment

Nice, but not sure if worth a detour - Edit

I have been here only once. I found it a nice cozy place and I did not realize that this is a take-away (there were some tables + chairs inside and outside) until I asked for the restroom - there was none. A pity, otherwise it would be a nice little cafe where you could have (vegan) cake and a good soy cappuccino, or something from the buffet. When I was there there was no vegan cake, same as v_mdj I liked the eggplant sandwich, but was not overly impressed by the salads. Maybe I would get back if I lived very very closetby to pick up some food to have it at home, but - being a guest in the city - I'd rather go to some other place (like "Natuurlijk Nul-15") to have some good veggie food.

Pros: friendly service, vegan food labeled

Cons: not many vegan options, tables + chairs but no restroom

phlamion 29 Apr 2015 - First of all, it’s a shame that you don’t share my enthusiasm for such a wonderful, sustainable and delicious place. I’m a local, weekly visitor and I believe that your review is based on wrong judgment. The Living is a deli, a concept well-known in metropolitan cities, but completely new to the small city of Delft. It’s principally a take-out place, so the availability of a restroom is never an issue. Secondly, The Living is a 100% organic, vegetarian deli with vegan options. I repeat: with vegan options! This availability should be applauded and supported. Especially given the scarcity in the region. Furthermore, almost all salads are vegan, half of the dinner options are vegan and usually there is a vegan dessert and always vegan drinks. I honestly don’t know of any place that offers a vegan cheesecake!

I’d think it’s a shame if people would skip this place based on this review. The Living is a wonderful, stylish place with great food and a fantastic sustainable vision.

Go for the soya cappuccino! - Edit

I eat a great sandwich with eggplant. The salads were good but simple. Unfortunately there wasn't any vegan cake the day I visited The Living. I hope the next time I visit this take away there will be more vegan choice (all vegan products are labeled as such). The soya cappuccino was delicious!

Pros: Very good soya cauppuccino

Return to Delft Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Living closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.