First Review by JonJon

Delicious! - Edit

Cute and cozy. I had the open burger as a salad which was vegan and so delicious!! Coffee was lovely. There's also a few nice vegan options on the same street so it's definitely the place to head to if you're a vegan in Galway

Pros: Cute decor

Enjoyed our lunch! - Edit

We really enjoyed our lunch. Nice selection - had trouble deciding what to get. I got the tart with salad - both were very good. My husband got the hummus, salad and soup and all were very good. Only disappointment was they ran out of the chocolate cake before we got a piece. Small place and was busy but comfortable. Staff was friendly even though they were busy. Would have gone back for dinner but the kitchen closes at 17:00

Pros: Food was very good, Only a lunch menu but varied menu

Cons: Not open for dinner

Excellent food and service! - Edit

A lovely find in Galway! Vegetarian with an impressive vegan gf menu! Next door is a raw food cafe! Definitely stop here for lunch! great dessert choices! Cash Only!!

Pros: awesome vegan gf menu

Cons: cash only. small space

Excellent variety, service and value for money - Edit

I've visited this place for lunch twice in the last two days after being hugely impressed with the vegan menu - not a lot of places in Galway offer such variety. The first day I chose hummus and roasted vegetables on toasted bread with a side salad and a raspberry and blackcurrant slice for desert, and the second day the butter bean and parsley veggie burger and chocolate and coconut vegan cheesecake for desert. My mum, who is not vegetarian/vegan, loved it too. Service was prompt and value for money was excellent. Will be back again for sure.

FANTASTIC (well travelled 15 year vegan) - Edit

while in Galway I researched a little here on happycow I remembered the street name, I got lucky and saw some animal rights activist flyering and sent me in the right direction...they had tons of vegan options and my non veggie parents even loved it...I had Thai noodle that was great, huge portion, and my parents loved the lentil soup with fresh homemade bread. Also they had lots of vegan dessert options, which is key at a nice little place, cos soup and sandwiches are easy to veggie/veganism...but desserts not so much...I had a cashew goji berry cheesecake and it was Ef word delicious...prices were normal for a place like this...I will ABSOLUTELY go back next time I am in town. my 1 critique would be the menu needs to be organized to be more readable with better descriptions, nicer fonts etc...

Pros: Centrally located., Vegan desserts, outdoor seating

Cons: ugly menu

Great place! - Edit

Very good place. I usually visit there about once a week. Half of the dishes are vegetarian and half is vegan. There is always very tasty vegan food and it's all served beautifully.

Only con is that I wish the portions would be a bit bigger. I don't mind paying a bit extra and to fill full afterwards.

Updated from previous review on Saturday January 09, 2016

Pros: Very tasty, Good quality, Reasonable price

enjoyed it - Edit

We arrived after a long day of driving and we were a bit worried it would be closed but fortunately for us, it was open and we had two main meals and some desserts. The vegan pecan pie was delicious as was the choc mint one. Staff were nice too.

lovely cozy café with plenty of vegan options - Edit

I wasn't set on having lunch here since I'd read reviews saying there are no vegan options, but happily the owners seem to have paid attention! Almost everything on the menu was vegan, and the hot pot (kale/bean/tamari stew and brown rice with a side salad) was deliciously comforting on a very blustery day. Service is very friendly. Highly recommended!

Pros: great food (with many vegan options), very good coffee, warm, cozy atmosphere

Cons: space is a bit small

Vegetarian Cafe in Galway - Edit

I only discovered this hidden gem in Abbeygate St. Upper yesterday with a vegan friend of mine. We went for lunch - a virgin visit but definitely not my last! I opted for the chickpea burger and my friend had the bean stew. I tried some of hers and it was delicious. My burger was like a homemade patty and it was very flavoursome. It was dressed with a herby tahini dressing and also had a beetroot relish so there was a rich variety of flavours on the plate, which I love. It came with a colourful and vibrant salad which took time to prepare - slices of radish along with mixed leaves (and they were clean which is a plus), there were some seeds and also some home pickled red cabbage. There were also some cherry tomatoes and carrot, I think. There was a generous helping of quinoa and a gluten free vegan toasted bagel. So a very full plate for a very reasonable price. Service was swift, friendly and non-intrusive and when we both fancied something for dessert, we got a raw, vegan caramel/chocolate/coconut slice which was rich, filling and really nutritious. I simply love when I can go to a place and have really delicious, healthy food but still feel that my meal was a little decadent. The coffee was strong and the helping was generous - a fine sized cup. I cannot believe that this cafe has been there for three years and I didn't know about it. If you are in Galway and are vegan/vegetarian or omnivorous, you will love the food at the Lighthouse. It's just off Shop Street. The space isn't huge but you're not sitting on top of anyone else so you can go there and have a cosy chat. Also, we stayed quite a long time and were welcome. Lunch for two, one dessert and two coffees came to €30 even. I thought this was great value. The lunch was prepared with such love and care that I can't wait for my next visit. I recommend the Lighthouse highly.

Pros: Wonderful food in an all-veggie cafe

Not for vegans... - Edit

This small tea room is the only fully vegetarian place of Galway but has absolutely no option for vegans to eat. You can only have hot drinks that are veganisable on request (such as a vegan cappuccino or tea with soya milk). If you are a vegetarian however, you can have different cakes that look good.

It is really too bad that this place doesn't offer any option for vegans... because the place is well located and has a really nice atmosphere.

Pros: nice atmosphere, well located, vegan cappuccino upon request

Cons: absolutely no vegan option to eat

2 Responses

Return to Galway Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Light House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3846 times since Dec 2013.